Law School Discussion

Half

Half
« on: February 27, 2008, 09:46:35 AM »
My mom is a black woman from Haiti and my dad Italian white. I checked the black box off on apps. I put in my PS that my mom was from Haiti so there is no confusion. I look more white than black. I heavily identify with my moms side of the family...(disowned by my dads family because I was mixed).

Am I crazy for worrying that when I show up at school someone is going to say I am white and take away my admissions?

Re: Half
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2008, 08:37:09 AM »
tag..I'm a 1/4 NA (mom's half) and I look like any other white girl with the exception that my hair won't curl and I have bigger than average cheek bones.  I'm also worried people won't believe me or get pissy that a 'white girl' is trying to play off as a minority. 

UFBoldAsLove

• Go Gators.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2008, 08:39:35 AM »
tag..I'm a 1/4 NA (mom's half) and I look like any other white girl with the exception that my hair won't curl and I have bigger than average cheek bones.  I'm also worried people won't believe me or get pissy that a 'white girl' is trying to play off as a minority. 

Ditto. Although I look it. Which is part of the reason that aspect of my background sparked most of my interest as a young child.

OP: As long as your diversity statement shows a compelling link to your culture. You are fine.

UFBoldAsLove

• Go Gators.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2008, 08:56:47 AM »

Ditto. Although I look it. Which is part of the reason that aspect of my background sparked most of my interest as a young child.

OP: As long as your diversity statement shows a compelling link to your culture. You are fine.

You are great Bold but I have to disagree here a bit.  The OP doesn't HAVE to write a diversity statement that correlates with her race if she doesn't want to.  She still has the right to, and can, mark her ethnicity/race as she self-identifies without going the extra mile.

That being said, writing a diversity statement, especially one that connects to your ethnicity/race/culture is always in advantageous for you, and I would recommend writing one.

I'm sorry cosmo, this is really the point I was trying to make. I agree that she does not HAVE to do anything except mark down whatever she associates the most with.

I meant "fine = best position application-wise". I suppose she was asking more about after she matriculates.

OP, you don't owe anyone anything. And it would be so un-PC to approach you about "how black you are" that I doubt you will encounter any uncomfortable situation.

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2008, 09:02:59 AM »
Thank you for the reassuring words. The truth is, I am half black, so I should not be worried at all, even if someone had a question about it. But your mind starts to turn while you wait for the mail.  :)