Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Half  (Read 1261 times)

patty1

• View Profile
Half
« on: February 27, 2008, 11:46:35 AM »
My mom is a black woman from Haiti and my dad Italian white. I checked the black box off on apps. I put in my PS that my mom was from Haiti so there is no confusion. I look more white than black. I heavily identify with my moms side of the family...(disowned by my dads family because I was mixed).

Am I crazy for worrying that when I show up at school someone is going to say I am white and take away my admissions?

SabrinaK

• View Profile
Re: Half
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2008, 10:37:09 AM »
tag..I'm a 1/4 NA (mom's half) and I look like any other white girl with the exception that my hair won't curl and I have bigger than average cheek bones.  I'm also worried people won't believe me or get pissy that a 'white girl' is trying to play off as a minority. 
Alan Shore: You know I'm not about to go to Texas and not ride the mechanical bull, Chelina. That would be like going to Los Angeles and not sleeping with Paris Hilton.

Lock & Load: University of San Diego 2011!

UFBoldAsLove

• Sr. Citizen
  • Go Gators.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2008, 10:39:35 AM »
tag..I'm a 1/4 NA (mom's half) and I look like any other white girl with the exception that my hair won't curl and I have bigger than average cheek bones.  I'm also worried people won't believe me or get pissy that a 'white girl' is trying to play off as a minority. 

Ditto. Although I look it. Which is part of the reason that aspect of my background sparked most of my interest as a young child.

OP: As long as your diversity statement shows a compelling link to your culture. You are fine.
Vandy 1L... really?

UFBoldAsLove

• Sr. Citizen
  • Go Gators.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2008, 10:56:47 AM »

Ditto. Although I look it. Which is part of the reason that aspect of my background sparked most of my interest as a young child.

OP: As long as your diversity statement shows a compelling link to your culture. You are fine.

You are great Bold but I have to disagree here a bit.  The OP doesn't HAVE to write a diversity statement that correlates with her race if she doesn't want to.  She still has the right to, and can, mark her ethnicity/race as she self-identifies without going the extra mile.

That being said, writing a diversity statement, especially one that connects to your ethnicity/race/culture is always in advantageous for you, and I would recommend writing one.

I'm sorry cosmo, this is really the point I was trying to make. I agree that she does not HAVE to do anything except mark down whatever she associates the most with.

I meant "fine = best position application-wise". I suppose she was asking more about after she matriculates.

OP, you don't owe anyone anything. And it would be so un-PC to approach you about "how black you are" that I doubt you will encounter any uncomfortable situation.
Vandy 1L... really?

patty1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2008, 11:02:59 AM »
Thank you for the reassuring words. The truth is, I am half black, so I should not be worried at all, even if someone had a question about it. But your mind starts to turn while you wait for the mail.  :)