Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: PLEASE HELP: How to format my addendum for my bad grades and past arrest?  (Read 2214 times)

lawmaybe

I hope someone can help me.

I finished my personal statement and now I want to write an addendum to cover my bad grades and my previous arrests (2) .

1) Should I write two separate addendums or one page explaining both?

2) How long should an addendum be? 250 words, 500 words?

3) When explaining an arrest, should I just list the facts or go into extreme details over the incident (I solicited an undercover cop (prostitution) seven years ago-twice, different dates within a year)?

Both cases were Nolle Pros meaning they were dropped, but the arrest record is still there.

I would appreciate any input.

Thanks!

foxnewssucks

Re: How to format my addendum for my bad grades and past arrest?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2004, 04:38:29 PM »
I would write one for the grades and put the arrest stuff seperately, they probably have a specific question about it that you will have to answer, like 17c.  List all convictions, etc....

Was the cop hot?

shadowcreeper

• Sr. Citizen
  • LSD Cheerleader
    • View Profile
    • law school hopeful
    • Email
Re: How to format my addendum for my bad grades and past arrest?
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2004, 05:05:21 PM »
I would definitely seperate them into two addendums and I would keep them down to at the most one page a piece. Addendums are not supposed to be long and drawn out, so just keep it short and simple.

Good luck! :)
I can't pass up this oppurtunity to make myself absurd.
I can't pass up this oppurtunity to make myself be heard.
Nobody's gonna stand in my way.
Give it up son, I'm doin this my way.. Seether

http://lawschoolhopeful.blogspot.com/

lawmaybe

Both times the cop was hot - both times within a one year span.

It's a misdemeanor and I didn't get any convictions - they were both Nolle Pros but the arrests are on record.

Should I explain why I did it, that I have become a family man and changed?  Or just the facts.

Thanks for both of your responses, I really appreciate them!!!

shadowcreeper

• Sr. Citizen
  • LSD Cheerleader
    • View Profile
    • law school hopeful
    • Email
I think I would stay away from talking about why you did it, especially if it is going to make you come off in an inappropriate manner or if it makes you come off as whiney or making excuses. Ad Coms do not want to hear the excuses and sob stories.

But, if you seriously have changed and you want to mention that, I do not think there is a problem with that. In my addendum for my LSAT scores, I state the facts and then cover other information as well. I think that one of the goals in any addendum is to take the focus away from the negative or the weakness and bring it full circle into a more positive light... you could do this by talking about the change that you made and how you are now a family man.
I can't pass up this oppurtunity to make myself absurd.
I can't pass up this oppurtunity to make myself be heard.
Nobody's gonna stand in my way.
Give it up son, I'm doin this my way.. Seether

http://lawschoolhopeful.blogspot.com/

lawmaybe

Thank you for the advice shadow!

desmo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
I hope someone can help me.

I finished my personal statement and now I want to write an addendum to cover my bad grades and my previous arrests (2) .

1) Should I write two separate addendums or one page explaining both?

2) How long should an addendum be? 250 words, 500 words?

3) When explaining an arrest, should I just list the facts or go into extreme details over the incident (I solicited an undercover cop (prostitution) seven years ago-twice, different dates within a year)?

Both cases were Nolle Pros meaning they were dropped, but the arrest record is still there.

I would appreciate any input.

Thanks!

How about:

"I'm a loser - please let me in."

photogrl

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Separate addendums.

In the arrest one, you should mention how long ago this occurred and what you learned from the situation, that you know it was wrong, you've changed, etc.  Unless you are still soliciting prostitutes, in which case you should write about that and how it has affected your choice to attend law school.  I hear that Stanford has some grads who are pursuing the sex industry, maybe you should apply there.

In all seriousness, I have a feeling that unless you can demonstrate that you are a totally different person and what you learned from the situation, this will negatively impact your application.  I highly doubt that female ad-comms would be that impressed by your past actions, I know I sure as hell wouldn't be.  Give it some careful attention, and good luck.
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=stkit2theman

I am not permanent
And the only thing keeping me dry is where i am