Law School Discussion

Emory v Baylor ($$) v Tulane ($$) v UH (instate)

Emory v Baylor ($$) v Tulane ($$) v UH (instate)
« on: February 26, 2008, 07:29:46 PM »
I want to stay in the South (preferably Texas) and don't know what I want to do (although I would like my options to be pretty open).

My choices are

Emory - full price
Baylor - $18k scholarship - 2.5 requirement (top 50%)
Tulane - $25k scholarship - 3.0 requirement (top 65%)
UH - instate (no word on scholarship yet)

botbot

• View Profile
Re: Emory v Baylor ($$) v Tulane ($$) v UH (instate)
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2008, 07:44:27 PM »
You can probably eliminate Baylor from the list as...
(1) It places the worst out of your options
(2) It's hyper-competitive
(3) It could suffer a tough drop in the rankings if the USNews forces them to report all of their full time admits numbers (rather than just the fall admits)
(4) It's in Waco.
(5) It travels no where

If you want to work in Houston, UH is a viable option (especially if they give you scholarship loot on top of the instate).  It places very well in its home turf (but not very well elsewhere).

Tulane would be a good balanced choice.  Good placement throughout the South + a great scholarship.

Emory places the best out of the schools with the largest region, but you are talking about a lot of money.

I would visit Tulane and Emory (and UH if you want Houston) to get a first hand feeling for the schools.  It's a very tough choice between the two and while I chose Tulane when presented with similar options - I can see it going either way (especially if you are on the 'BIGLAW or Bust' train)

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2008, 07:48:55 PM »
I want to stay in the South (preferably Texas) and don't know what I want to do (although I would like my options to be pretty open).

My choices are

Emory - full price
Baylor - $18k scholarship - 2.5 requirement (top 50%)
Tulane - $25k scholarship - 3.0 requirement (top 65%)
UH - instate (no word on scholarship yet)

Tulane w/25k

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2008, 08:00:15 PM »
I have personal reasons for wanting to attend Baylor, would it be a bad career move over the other schools?

I don't care where I work after law school, but would prefer to stay in the Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Florida area.

I also don't know if I want to work in a big firm, but I wouldn't mind the option.

botbot

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2008, 08:06:14 PM »
I have personal reasons for wanting to attend Baylor, would it be a bad career move over the other schools?

I don't care where I work after law school, but would prefer to stay in the Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Florida area.

I also don't know if I want to work in a big firm, but I wouldn't mind the option.

I don't want to overly rag on Baylor - but it would be a mistake to attend.

You would be paying more for an unpleasant school experience and worse placement.

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2008, 08:06:30 PM »
Easily Tulane.

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2008, 08:12:50 PM »

Not Georgia?  I would be torn between Tulane and Emory (I feel that this will be a decision that I'm stuck with in the next couple of weeks-- I hope).  I got a similar scholarship to Tulane, so depending on the money Emory gives, I would probably choose Tulane over them. 

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2008, 08:34:14 PM »

Not Georgia?  I would be torn between Tulane and Emory (I feel that this will be a decision that I'm stuck with in the next couple of weeks-- I hope).  I got a similar scholarship to Tulane, so depending on the money Emory gives, I would probably choose Tulane over them. 

I wouldn't mind Georgia, I don't know why I didn't list it.

Is Emory $75,000 better than Tulane?

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2008, 09:10:09 PM »
Both USN and Princeton Review report higher starting salaries for Tulane (USN is skewed because there are too few reporting but PR seems fair).

I was thinking that if you gave Emory 10 years, that 75K would pay off, but with the numbers I've seen it isn't true.  You'd have more career options from Emory, but I'm not sure you would ever recoup the opportunity cost if you went to Emory.  Your pay raises will be more closely related to your lawyering ability, not your law school.

Obviously factors about the type of law you want could sway you, but if cost/debt/salary is your motivation, the numbers point to Tulane.

I'm a big Emory fan and I'm praying for a miracle there, but if you can stand New Orleans (not a big fan) for three years I say go to Tulane.

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2008, 09:17:05 PM »
Both USN and Princeton Review report higher starting salaries for Tulane (USN is skewed because there are too few reporting but PR seems fair).

I was thinking that if you gave Emory 10 years, that 75K would pay off, but with the numbers I've seen it isn't true.  You'd have more career options from Emory, but I'm not sure you would ever recoup the opportunity cost if you went to Emory.  Your pay raises will be more closely related to your lawyering ability, not your law school.

Obviously factors about the type of law you want could sway you, but if cost/debt/salary is your motivation, the numbers point to Tulane.

I'm a big Emory fan and I'm praying for a miracle there, but if you can stand New Orleans (not a big fan) for three years I say go to Tulane.

I would love the chance to spend three years in New Orleans, if it makes sense that is.  Have you ever been?  How could you not be a fan?