Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: BC...money..it's what I want.... doo doo doo  (Read 2428 times)

ohhayitskk

• Sr. Citizen
  • please don't stop the music
    • View Profile
    • Email
BC...money..it's what I want.... doo doo doo
« on: February 26, 2008, 08:53:43 PM »
So as I go on my wild BC tear across the LSD boards, I figured I'd pose a couple of questions re: scholarship money.

My numbers are good, but nothing to write home about. I've been offered scholarships at both Tulane and Northeastern (Tulane a lot, Northeastern not so much). BC is clearly my first choice at this point, and I'm really excited about going there, but I haven't heard from them about money yet.

My first question is, how long did those of you who got scholarships wait after your acceptance to hear about them? I'm also curious about numbers, but I wouldn't ask you to post them unless you feel comfortable. How generous is BC with financial aid?

Second part of the question is, I'm wondering if it's rude to ask for money if I'm not sure if I'm going to get it. I feel like I don't have that much leverage given that my scholarships are from lower-ranked schools, so barring any money from one of the other schools I'm waiting on, I don't know what my bargaining power is, if any. I'd love to let BC know that they are my first choice, and I could absolutely commit to them they threw me a financial bone (anything would help). Is this appropriate to do? I don't want to seem sleazy or ungrateful. When should I do it? Has anyone else done this?

Ayy...I'm dancing around in my chair to American Idol and avoiding a paper. Indulge me.
bc eleven.

chammon2

• View Profile
Re: BC...money..it's what I want.... doo doo doo
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2008, 09:07:40 PM »
I was awarded full tuition at Toledo (ranked 85) so I tried to use it to my advantage at Loyola-Chicago (70), Richmond (77), Georgia State (82), and Pepperdine (66).  I wrote a very polite email informing each school about my scholarship and letting them know that I preferred them to Toledo, so it wouldn't take a full ride to make me want to attend.

Loyola and Richmond got back to me quickly.  One was polite, the other was not, but both said that Toledo was too good an opportunity to pass up and that I would not be getting any money from them.  As of now (this was two weeks ago on Friday) Georgia State and Pepperdine have not responded.

I think a lot of it had to do with Toledo's ranking compared to them.  Today I was accepted by Case Western (53) and from what I have seen on LSD, I think my acceptance alone there serves as better leverage than money at a worse school.  I'm going to write another email to Pepperdine and Georgia State to inform them of my acceptance at Case and considering the fact it is ranked higher and I live in Ohio, it should suggest that they need to throw me something to keep my interest.  I'm not sure if it will work, but I am going to try.

In your case, I would just tell them that they are your top choice and where you have been accepted.  Tell them you're ready to sign on the dotted line if they can just help you out a little.  Let them know that they can make your decision for you.  I looked at your numbers on LSN and I don't think it would be wrong for you to ask for a little help.  It's not like they gave you some huge gift just by accepting you.  Just be polite and make sure you kiss their ass the whole time.

Sergio

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2008, 09:36:20 PM »
I also got a full tuition offer from Toledo and was looking to use it as leverage also.  However, mine would likely be for lower-ranked schools.  But since I don't live that close to Toledo, I won't tell them that the offer is from Toledo (I probably wouldn't actually go to Toledo).

radiotank

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2008, 11:51:18 PM »
So as I go on my wild BC tear across the LSD boards, I figured I'd pose a couple of questions re: scholarship money.

My numbers are good, but nothing to write home about. I've been offered scholarships at both Tulane and Northeastern (Tulane a lot, Northeastern not so much). BC is clearly my first choice at this point, and I'm really excited about going there, but I haven't heard from them about money yet.

My first question is, how long did those of you who got scholarships wait after your acceptance to hear about them? I'm also curious about numbers, but I wouldn't ask you to post them unless you feel comfortable. How generous is BC with financial aid?

Second part of the question is, I'm wondering if it's rude to ask for money if I'm not sure if I'm going to get it. I feel like I don't have that much leverage given that my scholarships are from lower-ranked schools, so barring any money from one of the other schools I'm waiting on, I don't know what my bargaining power is, if any. I'd love to let BC know that they are my first choice, and I could absolutely commit to them they threw me a financial bone (anything would help). Is this appropriate to do? I don't want to seem sleazy or ungrateful. When should I do it? Has anyone else done this?

Ayy...I'm dancing around in my chair to American Idol and avoiding a paper. Indulge me.

I would suggest not leveraging another school against BC. It is bad form I think, especially given that BC is way better than Tulane and Northeastern, I don't think they would appreciate the idea of having to compete against those schools for you. BC doesn't give out much money anyways, but I think you lower your chances to absolute zero if you try to challenge them with much-lower-ranked schools. Just my two cents.

ohhayitskk

• Sr. Citizen
  • please don't stop the music
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2008, 11:54:29 PM »

I would suggest not leveraging another school against BC. It is bad form I think, especially given that BC is way better than Tulane and Northeastern, I don't think they would appreciate the idea of having to compete against those schools for you. BC doesn't give out much money anyways, but I think you lower your chances to absolute zero if you try to challenge them with much-lower-ranked schools. Just my two cents.

no that's totally cool, that's the kind of feedback i need...do you think it's even worthwhile to ask? my other issue is that i'm really interested in public interest after law school, so tons and tons of debt is a tough thing for me to face.
bc eleven.

UnoriginalAndrew

• Sr. Citizen
  • I found a Moonrock in my nose!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2008, 11:57:51 PM »
....I have a similar situation.  I've heard nothing in regards to scholarships/need-based aid from BC...but UC-Davis offered me (tentatively) 20k in grants for the first year (my family doesn't have a whole lot).

Are need-based offers leverage-able?
I Choo-Choo-Choose you:  Boston College Law School, Class of 2011

RockShox007

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2008, 11:59:03 PM »
tag

Also: Is it too late to get $$ from BC?  I was accepted in mid-January and haven't heard anything but am in the same boat as the OP and Andrew. 

chammon2

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2008, 12:03:07 AM »
If schools charge nearly $40k a year for tuition they are smart enough to realize that money matters.  Don't come out and say your other offers.  Just tell them why they are the best school for you and you won't be able to be over $100k in debt.  Don't be timid.  If they accepted you, they want you.  Your acceptance alone wasn't a favor that you don't deserve.  Just be honest.  Let them know they are the school for you and that even if it is in the form of grants, you're going to need help.  If they don't come through for you, work the financial aid office.

What I did, did not work.  And my schools weren't as big of a difference as yours are.  So don't talk about your other offers.  I think that would be borderline offensive.

chammon2

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2008, 12:14:48 AM »
BC is notoriously stingy with merit aid. I hate to be negative, but it's just not realistic to expect much from them. They sent out a handful of full-scholarships earlier in the cycle, but they were to 168+/3.7+'s. Unless you're at their 75th percentiles or better, $$ is probably out of the question.

I would DEFINITELY not try to use Toledo as leverage against BC. I'm sorry, but it's just not going to work. Unless you're using a T20 or ND, it's not going to happen.

If you're doing public interest, I would assume you have a better shot at $$ though.

She isn't using Toledo.  I was giving an example of me using Toledo for leverage with schools within 15 spots of Toledo's ranking.  I think the schools are Northeastern and Tulane.

botbot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2008, 12:31:27 AM »

lol

I'm not going to derail the thread and point out how stupid that comment was, so I will be helpful.  There have been schools in the past (especially within 20-25 USNews ranking spots) that have offered smaller scholarships to those who made a good case for money by using larger scholarships from lesser ranked schools.  (see the long scholarship matching thread).

BC gives little merit aid, but the worst they can do is tell you no.