Law School Discussion

-

Re: How portable is a degree from GW? Does it fare well in Boston?
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2008, 10:52:03 PM »
OP, I'd imagine that you'll want to work your 2L summer in Boston if you want to come back after you graduate, if only because that's the firm that'll be offering you a job at the end of the summer. I know that means leaving your husband in DC, but I feel like that's the sort of thing that's not super-negotiable. You don't want to do OCI as a 3L, I'm told.

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2008, 09:23:18 AM »
Despite what this year's rankings tell you, GW is probably a better school than either BU or BC. Which doesn't mean it places better in Boston (it doesn't), but it might mean that BU or BC would consider matching (at least the money if not the housing).

edit: also, even if you don't get what you want from the Boston schools, I think most of GW's placement is self-selection, and you'd probably be okay. I think you're pretty unique in getting a better package from GW than BU or BC (presumably) so most people who are sure they want to work in Boston aren't faced with this decision.

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2008, 09:39:13 AM »
Despite what this year's rankings tell you, GW is probably a better school than either BU or BC. Which doesn't mean it places better in Boston (it doesn't), but it might mean that BU or BC would consider matching (at least the money if not the housing).

Thanks for this feedback.  This was another question I had.  Perhaps they would, but I got a lot of money from GW, I think it would be hard for them to match.

Yeah see the edit I added, that's an incredible package and I think your situation is pretty unique. It is definately worth explaining where your head's at to the Boston schools in full detail.

Stuje1

• View Profile
    • Law School Numbers Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2008, 09:50:20 AM »
OP, I'd imagine that you'll want to work your 2L summer in Boston if you want to come back after you graduate, if only because that's the firm that'll be offering you a job at the end of the summer. I know that means leaving your husband in DC, but I feel like that's the sort of thing that's not super-negotiable. You don't want to do OCI as a 3L, I'm told.

I was afraid of this... why can't you do OCI as a 3L?

Do summer associateships guarantee a job post-grad?

You do not want to do 3L recruiting. It is meant as a "back-up," for people who did not like their 2L job, want to change cities or did poorly their 1st year and got their grades up. It should not be your planned course of action.  Firms use 3L recruiting to fill a few holes here and there, but it is only a very minimal source of their recruiting.  the great majority of their positions come from summer associateships 2L year.  To give an estimate on the numbers, a large law firm that has an incoming first year class of 70 would probably have 60-65 from their 2L class and 5-10 from 3L recruiting

You should plan spending your 2nd summer at the place/location you want to work.  So long as the market is decent, 90-99% of summer associates at big law firms will get offers to work at the firm post-graduation.   So, for large law firms, finding your job is about where you work 2nd year summer, not after your 3rd year.

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2008, 10:04:16 AM »

Thanks for this feedback.  This was another question I had.  Perhaps they would, but I got a lot of money from GW, I think it would be hard for them to match.

Yeah see the edit I added, that's an incredible package and I think your situation is pretty unique. It is definately worth explaining where your head's at to the Boston schools in full detail.

It IS an incredible package, and even though I want to practice in Boston, I don't think I could pass up that money from GW for (probably) nothing in terms of merit from BU and BC.  I don't even KNOW if BC gives out that kind of money to anyone since I heard they are stingy.  I think both schools only give out more money to 75%+ candidates, which I'm not (I PMed you my #s).  Maybe I can tell them my situation, like you suggested, and see what they say.  It couldn't hurt.

But I think it's a long shot overall and I'll end up at GW next year.  Somehow I can make my Boston connections - right?  *sigh*

sent you an epic PM

« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2008, 10:12:06 AM »
Yup, def thanks for the PM - I'm just going to repost it here for the board's usefulness if you don't mind:

Yeah, I remembered you had something like this going on. Obviously, you have to wait and see about the Boston school decisions first, but these schools are all very competitive with one another and I think you have to at least try to leverage some money.

BC is notoriously unpredictable, but BU is very much a rational actor and would at least listen to the fact that a school that is traditionally significanlty better gave you such a stellar package.

Also, I can not emphasize enough how unique your situation likely is. Most people are significantly more likely to get money from the Boston schools than GW. Last year, a close friend of mine got $15,000 a yr. from BU, $10,000 a year from BC and a nice fat waitlist from GW. She was a much more traditional candidate than you (non-urm, 3.4, 165), but I think the admissions decisions definately tend to trend that way.

At the end of the day, you can definately get a Boston job from GW, if the other two don't come through. It's just that usually people like you (in that I mean people with strong Boston ties, nothing to do with numbers) get much better offers at BU and BC (or maybe don't get into GW at all) so the decision is made for them. Thus the dearth of people desperate for Boston jobs from GW.

Sorry aobut the wordinness and congrats on your cycle so far and the amazing offer.

my pleasure

AH

• but you're a hippo!
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2008, 10:14:22 AM »
This is all actually very helpful for me for the far-distant future (though I can only hope the decision would be between stellar schools like these). Bascially, very helpful thread-- thanks!

Stuje1

• View Profile
    • Law School Numbers Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2008, 03:10:38 PM »
You do not want to do 3L recruiting. It is meant as a "back-up," for people who did not like their 2L job, want to change cities or did poorly their 1st year and got their grades up. It should not be your planned course of action.  Firms use 3L recruiting to fill a few holes here and there, but it is only a very minimal source of their recruiting.  the great majority of their positions come from summer associateships 2L year.  To give an estimate on the numbers, a large law firm that has an incoming first year class of 70 would probably have 60-65 from their 2L class and 5-10 from 3L recruiting

You should plan spending your 2nd summer at the place/location you want to work.  So long as the market is decent, 90-99% of summer associates at big law firms will get offers to work at the firm post-graduation.   So, for large law firms, finding your job is about where you work 2nd year summer, not after your 3rd year.

Sorry to quote myself, but I found some hard #s for you on the 2L vs. 3L OCI issue that I though I would share.  From NALP (http://www.nalp.org/press/details.php?id=59)

About hiring 2L's:
"Employers issued a median of 48 and an average of 86 callback invitations to second-year students.... Well over half of callback interviews (60%) resulted in an offer, with a median of 16 offers per employer."

And now 3L recruiting:
"About 40% of survey respondents, or 211 employers, reported recruiting of third-year students not previously employed by them...The median number of callback invitations was 5...about 42% of these interviews resulted in offers"

You can see that only a small # even do 3L recruiting, and of those, much smaller callback and offer #s (note that it is even more concerning that the offer % is quite a bit lower, even with a much, much smaller # of callback interviews).   Anyway, I think a talk with your husband about your 2L summer back in Boston if you go to GW is in order  ;)

« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2008, 08:31:39 PM »
Fun!  More news my husband will love to hear...

Don't forget I know everyone keeps says "summer" - which sounds like a long time.  Three whole months.  But really, firms expect you to be there for 10 weeks.  ok, so that's two and a half months...  But still!  10 weeks is not a very long time at all, especially 10 weeks out of 3 years.

« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2008, 09:03:41 PM »
Yeah but... argh still 10 weeks... bahh

It will go so fast.  A few weeks to get used to a new job, a few weeks in it, a few weeks until you're done. And being wined and dined and going on group outings with other summers, and lunches, and trainings, and a few flights up to Boston for the husband... that's no time at all.