Law School Discussion

-

-----

-
« on: February 26, 2008, 02:41:33 PM »
-

Re: How portable is a degree from GW? Does it fare well in Boston?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2008, 02:51:22 PM »
I got a really good package from GW, one I doubt will be matched from BC or BU, if I get in that is.

My goal after graduation is to come back to Boston and have a family and practice in Boston, not in DC.

I was going to save this post for after I heard from BC and BU, but I can't wait any longer.  At this point, unless I got into BC and they matched the offer from GW, it looks like I'm moving to DC.  I'm a little scared of getting a job back up in Boston after graduation.  Also to clarify I can't do summer associate-ships in Boston because I'm making my husband move down to DC for me and I can't very well leave him stranded down there.

Is there anything else I can do to make connections in Boston?  Or am I worrying about nothing here?

GW doesn't do great in Boston, especially when compared to BU and BC. That being said, the money factor might make it worth going there.

Stuje1

• View Profile
    • Law School Numbers Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2008, 04:07:06 PM »
One thing you can do is go to NALP and check out a bunch of Boston firms and see how many of them do OCI at GW.  That should give you a pretty good idea of the school's connections to Boston.   

Stuje1

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2008, 04:18:46 PM »

What's NALP?  How do I do this search?  I've heard of it before, just not actually done this before.

NALP is a directory of legal employers.  Just go here: http://www.nalpdirectory.com/dledir_search_advanced.asp and then select the type of employer (probably law firm is what you want), then enter Boston, MA, and then select GW for "campus interviews".   That netted me 14 results (1 of which was repeated).  Fool around with that...check to see how many Boston firms go to other schools, or just do a search for interviewers at GW and see where most are from...lots of ways you can play around on NALP.  It doesn't cover every employer, but all the "big ones."

Stuje1

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2008, 04:28:45 PM »
Thanks, I found the same results.  Those are all the BigLaw firms in Boston pretty much, seems the small ones probably don't have the budget to travel and such to recruit.  I guess it makes sense.  I actually work at one of those firms right now as an entry-level paralegal :P

Well, it is missing a few of the major firms (WilmerHale, Choate, Skadden-Branch office), but I must say, it is a pretty good list/number of firms.  That should be re-assuring!

I, of course, would recommend BC!  ;)  If you get accepted, try negotiating some $, using your big GW scholarship as leverage.

AH

• but you're a hippo!
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2008, 04:50:47 PM »
IDK if this will help, but I work for an international firm in Waltham, MA and we have lawyers from BC (2), BU, and DC (American (2) and Georgetown), but no one from GW that I am aware of). As someone who has also spent time in DC and knows an admissions officer in the area, I can say the GW is well-respected across the eastern seaboard, but you definitely have the edge as a BU or BC alum in Boston, only because so many grads stay in the area (same for those considering Suffolk and Northeastern). HTH!

Good luck with your decision and congrats on the amazing package at GW! Honestly, if you are bright enough to get that out of them and can excel there, I don't think the degree from DC will hinder you at all (and anything to cut those student loans, for sure). I've toured GW in case you haven't been there and want any feedback on the facilities.

bruinbro

• B-Blitz
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2008, 04:59:04 PM »
I visited GW this weekend thanks.  I got into Suffolk with 15K scholarship but the curve is harsh so a 3.0 would be much harder to maintain there than at GW.  Plus of course, 20K is more than 15K, and plus the housing thing...  I think I'd have better career prospects going to GW than Suffolk though.

No question.

bruinbro

• B-Blitz
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2008, 05:01:52 PM »
I visited GW this weekend thanks.  I got into Suffolk with 15K scholarship but the curve is harsh so a 3.0 would be much harder to maintain there than at GW.  Plus of course, 20K is more than 15K, and plus the housing thing...  I think I'd have better career prospects going to GW than Suffolk though.
[/b]

No question.

I meant in Boston specifically.  *runs to edit*

Even with the edit, I still think so.

AH

• but you're a hippo!
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2008, 05:18:07 PM »
Of course! I didn't mean to imply anything other than that (GW>Suffolk) at all! (Sorry if I did) Honestly, I don't think there's a comparison.

AH

• but you're a hippo!
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2008, 07:15:54 PM »
This is what happens when I spend all day looking at antitrust law. ;)