Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: University of Maryland Scholarship Interview  (Read 4194 times)

orangepetals

• View Profile
Re: University of Maryland Scholarship Interview
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2008, 03:35:57 PM »
Does one have to be a Maryland resident to receive a scholarship from UM?  It seems that way from their literature. 

I doubt the University of Maryland would invest in bringing out-of-state candidates to Baltimore for this event if they did not intend to extend merit scholarship aid to at least a few of these candidates. 

There are merit scholarships for which only in-state candidates are eligible, but this upcoming weekend's program is separate from that application process.

Since you have already withdrawn your application, I guess none of this really applies to you anymore.

UnbiasedObserver

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2008, 04:12:31 PM »
I doubt the University of Maryland would invest in bringing out-of-state candidates to Baltimore for this event if they did not intend to extend merit scholarship aid to at least a few of these candidates. 

Did I disagree with this?

I asked a simple question if any of the people who are being interviewed were out-of-state.  Somebody told me yes.

So of course they're going to award some out-of-staters the scholarship!  :)

There are merit scholarships for which only in-state candidates are eligible, but this upcoming weekend's program is separate from that application process.

See, their office never told me that. 

I asked whether if they gave out-of-state scholarships as well as in-state scholarships.

This question was directed at the Fin. Aid. office.

They gave me an evasive answer, without directly answering my question.

Just tell me that I'm not being considered for a scholarship! That's cool with me.  They have a right to pick whom they want for scholarships.  But be honest with me. Other schools have been kind enough to say no when I'm asking about money; why couldn't they?  :P

Since you have already withdrawn your application, I guess none of this really applies to you anymore.

Touche.  I'm just shocked to know this now, because I really liked UMD.  It's a good school. 

I wish all of you good luck.  Hopefully at least one of you (and maybe all of you!) will get it!

orangepetals

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2008, 05:40:32 PM »

I asked a simple question if any of the people who are being interviewed were out-of-state.  Somebody told me yes.

I asked whether if they gave out-of-state scholarships as well as in-state scholarships.

Just tell me that I'm not being considered for a scholarship! That's cool with me.  They have a right to pick whom they want for scholarships.  But be honest with me. Other schools have been kind enough to say no when I'm asking about money; why couldn't they?  :P

Touche.  I'm just shocked to know this now, because I really liked UMD.  It's a good school. 

I wish all of you good luck.  Hopefully at least one of you (and maybe all of you!) will get it!

It's too bad that you found the Financial Aid office to be evasive, especially if you liked the school. I don't think these interviews are meant to be secretive or anything. It is possible that not every candidate invited to this event will even be offered a scholarship, so you may still have been selected as a recipient for merit aid. Also if money was a concern for you, I think it's unfortunate that you had to withdraw so soon. I was told recently by a dean at the school that UMD also awards "need-based" scholarships in their award letters, for both out-of-state and in-state candidates.

Anyway, I would have waited for my award letter before withdrawing.   

For those attending the event, I wouldn't worry about one's performance in the mock classes, seeing as we probably won't all have the chance to speak up. Good luck to everyone.

UnbiasedObserver

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2008, 10:14:07 PM »

It's too bad that you found the Financial Aid office to be evasive, especially if you liked the school. I don't think these interviews are meant to be secretive or anything. It is possible that not every candidate invited to this event will even be offered a scholarship, so you may still have been selected as a recipient for merit aid. Also if money was a concern for you, I think it's unfortunate that you had to withdraw so soon. I was told recently by a dean at the school that UMD also awards "need-based" scholarships in their award letters, for both out-of-state and in-state candidates.

Anyway, I would have waited for my award letter before withdrawing.   

For those attending the event, I wouldn't worry about one's performance in the mock classes, seeing as we probably won't all have the chance to speak up. Good luck to everyone.

It's ok.  I'm very fortunate to have many good options on the table.  It made my decision a little easier, in a sense.

Again, I wish you and everyone else the best of luck!   :)

just ducky

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2008, 10:18:47 AM »
so what did everybody think?
Georgetown University Law Center '11

In: Maryland, GW, Northwestern, GULC, Penn, NYU
Out:
WL: Columbia
WL, rejected: Michigan
Pending:

Dancer247

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2008, 07:45:37 PM »
I really enjoyed myself. The professors who taught the mock classes were interesting and energetic, and all the deans were so friendly and approachable! I loved how instead of pictures of the faculty they had caricatures that were drawn by one of the students!

I liked the building very much, lots of natural light from windows and the large atrium in the center. The hall where we had lunch (name escapes me) was really beautiful, and I love its history with the old church and Edger Allen Poe's grave. The ceremonial court room was also very nice.

The thing I was most impressed with was the effort they seem to put into their Leadership Scholars. All of the 3Ls I talked to already had jobs, one in Miami, one midlaw in DC, and one at DLA Piper in NYC. I was totally impressed with the viewbook that they send to prospective employers with bios of all the leadership scholars.

Overall I thought it was very personal and enjoyable, just waiting to hear back because I am strongly considering them and $$$ would help!! Also they have launched their new website, which is much more impressive and has a photo tour of the school.

orangepetals

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2008, 02:37:28 PM »
I was similarly impressed by the professors who taught the mock classes as well as the current and prospective leadership scholars. Has anyone heard anything from them today? It sounded as though they planned on getting back to us within a few days.

zyx333

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2008, 02:51:57 PM »
I haven't heard anything.  :-\

just ducky

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2008, 05:08:22 PM »
I haven't heard anything yet either, and I made sure to have my phone with me and on all day at work today while waiting for the call.
Georgetown University Law Center '11

In: Maryland, GW, Northwestern, GULC, Penn, NYU
Out:
WL: Columbia
WL, rejected: Michigan
Pending:

just ducky

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2008, 05:17:24 PM »
just got the call - anyone else?