Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: I applied to Duke and....  (Read 4943 times)

RandyJay419

• View Profile
    • LSN
Re: I applied to Duke and....
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2008, 04:33:55 PM »
FWIW, I went complete 1-10 and was accepted yesterday with above-median numbers.  I did send a Why Duke Essay two weeks after going complete, which may have slowed the process.

Uh-oh...I went complete on 1/10, also.  Status checker still says decision complete.   :-\

How did you receive your acceptance?  Did your status checker ever change?

Did your status change to decision today?

Sorry...I meant to say status checker still says complete...no decision yet.  I guess that's a good thing, if an email accompanies the change for accepted/waitlisted applicants.
Northwestern '11
------------------------------
"A lawyer's time and advice is his stock in trade." 
     -Abraham Lincoln

BurtsBees

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2008, 04:58:07 PM »
FWIW, I went complete 1-10 and was accepted yesterday with above-median numbers.  I did send a Why Duke Essay two weeks after going complete, which may have slowed the process.

Uh-oh...I went complete on 1/10, also.  Status checker still says decision complete.   :-\

How did you receive your acceptance?  Did your status checker ever change?

Did your status change to decision today?

Sorry...I meant to say status checker still says complete...no decision yet.  I guess that's a good thing, if an email accompanies the change for accepted/waitlisted applicants.

Indeed, you don't want that to say decision with out an e-mail  ;D

DECONda

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2008, 05:46:25 PM »
Went complete on 11/16 and still have not heard a peep. I wish they would just go ahead and give me the waitlist email so I can stop thinking about it. Seems pretty obvious that they were going to accept me they would've done so by now.

Yeah, I went complete in late October.  :(

You've made it explicitly clear you are uninterested in going to Duke if your boyfriend does not get in. Aren't you worried that adcoms read this forum and realize that? There aren't many Native Americans from UF applying to law schools....

Your B/F's profile: http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=GeauxGators

UFBoldAsLove

• Sr. Citizen
  • Go Gators.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2008, 06:46:08 PM »
Since when is UF a "top public"?

Eh, technically its in the Top 10 public universities. I didn't put that on my profile though.
Vandy 1L... really?

DECONda

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2008, 06:51:20 PM »
He is referring to your boyfriend's LSN profile but I am still curious why, after making your intentions clear, you aren't afraid of adcoms dinging you for it?

UFBoldAsLove

• Sr. Citizen
  • Go Gators.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2008, 07:01:11 PM »
He is referring to your boyfriend's LSN profile but I am still curious why, after making your intentions clear, you aren't afraid of adcoms dinging you for it?

Why am I not afraid? Because if they are going to ding me for my decision to remain within driving distance of the SO, then that means they intend to ding him as well. Which........ means I wouldn't be going there regardless.

Duke is absolutely amazing and I would be thrilled to have the opportunity to go there. And, because the SO has great softs and a LOR from a former Duke prof, I'm holding out hope.

Okay?
Vandy 1L... really?

UFBoldAsLove

• Sr. Citizen
  • Go Gators.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2008, 07:03:04 PM »

Don't hate.

UF's undergrad is very difficult to get into nowadays. It's the flagship university in one of the country's most populous states.

True. The median GPA/SAT is something like 4.0/1330. Although, since this is a HUGE increase from about 5 years ago, it doesn't really bother me when people assume UF is an easy school to get into.
Vandy 1L... really?

DECONda

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2008, 07:05:11 PM »

Don't hate.

UF's undergrad is very difficult to get into nowadays. It's the flagship university in one of the country's most populous states.

No. It is difficult to get into because of large budget cuts. Floridians are too stupid to realize without income taxes they need property taxes. Instead they rely on consumption taxes which have fallen steadily -- this year is the first time in Florida's history that we've had less money to spend two years in a row -- and huge budget cuts have taken place. As a result, FSU and UF have capped undergrad admissions which has increased competitiveness. At the same time, the state has a scholarship program that nearly anyone who graduates from HS can get (it covers 75 to 100% of tuition) causing many people to stay in state for undergrad, a prepaid college plan (Florida prepaid), and cheap tuition even if you don' get the scholarship.

This results in a school where the education lags far behind the selectiveness (and will get worse because of Jeb and Crist's tax cuts) and has a distorted app pool from free tuition (75 to 100%).

Just because it is hard to get into a school doesn't mean it is fantastic.

I am so glad I went out of state instead of dealing with the crackpots in Florida. Wake Forest rocks.

UFBoldAsLove

• Sr. Citizen
  • Go Gators.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2008, 07:08:30 PM »

Don't hate.

No. It is difficult to get into because of large budget cuts. Floridians are too stupid to realize without income taxes they need property taxes. Instead they rely on consumption taxes which have fallen steadily -- this year is the first time in Florida's history that we've had less money to spend two years in a row -- and huge budget cuts have taken place. As a result, FSU and UF have capped undergrad admissions which has increased competitiveness. At the same time, the state has a scholarship program that nearly anyone who graduates from HS can get (it covers 75 to 100% of tuition) causing many people to stay in state for undergrad, a prepaid college plan (Florida prepaid), and cheap tuition even if you don' get the scholarship.

This results in a school where the education lags far behind the selectiveness (and will get worse because of Jeb and Crist's tax cuts) and has a distorted app pool from free tuition (75 to 100%).

Just because it is hard to get into a school doesn't mean it is fantastic.

I am so glad I went out of state instead of dealing with the crackpots in Florida. Wake Forest rocks.

And I am thankful every day that I went to UF over other out of state institutions. To each his own.
Vandy 1L... really?

woeisme

• Sr. Citizen
  • Untouchable
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2008, 07:09:07 PM »
Just an FYI for others waiting for Duke... I was looking at the website and it says that they like to make most offers of admission by March 1. I suppose this means that the acceptances are about over...  :-\ Also, did anyone withdraw from Duke? If so, how did you do it (email, fax, etc.)?

I'm probably just trying to make myself feel better, but technically, it means they like to make more than 50% of their offers by March 1.

;D Win!
Cornell Law School Class of 2011 ... ftw.