Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Should I write an LSAT Addendum  (Read 1032 times)

LWS08

• View Profile
Should I write an LSAT Addendum
« on: February 25, 2008, 11:38:18 PM »
Deleted
"A Mind is a Terrible Thing to Waste."

gowi

• Sr. Citizen
  • Emory '11
    • View Profile
Re: Should I write an LSAT Addendum
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2008, 07:54:32 AM »
You answered your own question with that website information. Yes, always write one for a 9 or 10+ point boost.

Slumdog Lovebutton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2008, 10:03:47 AM »
You answered your own question with that website information. Yes, always write one for a 9 or 10+ point boost.

I don't think that's good advice.  law schools don't want to hear "I was nervous the first time," or "I studied for the second test," or "My proctor sucked the first time."  I'm sure people write "I was sick" addendums ALL the time.  I would just let your new score speak for itself.

Are you applying this cycle??  I assume your apps were already in by December?
* Columbia Law, Class of 2011 *

LSN

devilishlyblue

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2008, 10:39:37 AM »
Don't some schools require an addendum for a large gain?

LWS08

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2008, 10:58:26 AM »

I don't think that's good advice.  law schools don't want to hear "I was nervous the first time," or "I studied for the second test," or "My proctor sucked the first time."  I'm sure people write "I was sick" addendums ALL the time.  I would just let your new score speak for itself.

Yes. I submitted them in December because I never expected to bomb the December test. I am going to say that I was sick.

gowi

• Sr. Citizen
  • Emory '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2008, 11:54:52 AM »

I have that sort of jump and every single law school I spoked with at the law school forum said they want to know why it was such a large jump.

Slumdog Lovebutton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2008, 12:40:26 PM »

I have that sort of jump and every single law school I spoked with at the law school forum said they want to know why it was such a large jump.

Well, I'm skeptical based on some of the dean-of-admissions interviews I've read, but seeing as how you've spoken with a number of admissions officers, I'll defer to this.
* Columbia Law, Class of 2011 *

LSN

aporia

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2008, 02:17:30 PM »
I think you should write an addendum to explain (a) why you retook the test in the first place, and (b) why your score was so much higher the second time.  It sounds like the poor environment of the testing center during your first LSAT was the reason for both.

My advice for the addendum is to keep it short.  A couple of sentences, no more.  Let the legitimate reasons for your improvement in score speak for themselves. 

And don't say that you were sick if you weren't. 
Columbia 2011

Team Awesome

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2008, 03:10:41 PM »
I'm glad someone else said it. 'When in doubt, lie' is not the best rule to live by.

LWS08

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2008, 04:35:42 PM »
I'm glad someone else said it. 'When in doubt, lie' is not the best rule to live by.

Lying is not a good idea. I really wasn't going to write an addendum anyway, I just got paranoid because of that article. The bottom line is that the score speaks for itself. I had a great testing site in February and although my score isn't all that, it certainly improved. ;D