Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Emory, Vanderbilt, or UGA w/ in-state tuition  (Read 1170 times)

jus2nyce

• View Profile
    • Email
Emory, Vanderbilt, or UGA w/ in-state tuition
« on: February 25, 2008, 06:27:09 PM »
I am very confused right now. I am admitted at Emory, Vanderbilt, and UGA. I am a Georgia resident, and have not received any scholarships thus far from either Emory or Vanderbilt. If this holds true, would it be better in the long run to attend Vanderbilt (or Emory) without any sort of scholarship and wind up $180,000 in debt after 3 years, or go to UGA and take on $60,000 debt instead. I want to practice in the private sector by the way. Also, I am leaning toward living and working in Georgia, but would be open to working in other cities. Statistically, UGA seems to be pretty strong for a state law school at #36, and pretty formidable to Vanderbilt at #16 and Emory at #22. I just want to know if the salary difference between Vanderbilt/Emory and UGA is significant enough to warrant me taking on so much debt rather than just paying in-state at UGA...Outside input would be very helpful right about now....

Alecto

• Sr. Citizen
  • Class of 2011
    • AOL Instant Messenger - oceangirlUGA
    • View Profile
Re: Emory, Vanderbilt, or UGA w/ in-state tuition
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2008, 06:41:29 PM »
I can't really tell you which would be more profitable in the long run, but I'm in grad school right now at UGA and the UGA-network seems to be pretty strong.  I have been all over this state and let me tell you, you see that Georgia "G" everywhere!  Also, cost of living is low in Athens.  If you want to work in state, UGA would seem to make the most sense, especially since you would only be taking on a third of the debt. 

stinabee

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2008, 06:44:44 PM »
I would go to UGA if  I were your position. Vandy and Emory are great schools but that high level of debt is not worth it.

biggame

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2008, 12:22:47 PM »
I agree. The debt isn't worth it. Especially if you want to end up in Georgia anyway.

iceepop

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2008, 12:31:42 PM »
Yeah, I'd say go to Georgia for sure if you get no scholarsips anywhere.  Are you sure, though, that this is the case?  I'd say that the decision could change contingent upon the final aid packages...