Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Harvard or Stanford chances  (Read 1159 times)

apx1393

• View Profile
Harvard or Stanford chances
« on: February 25, 2008, 04:12:06 PM »
I just received my Feb 2008 LSAT back - 169.   

It was a little lower than I was testing at on practice exams, but I don't think I'm going to retake.  That being said, I'm considering my options.   

I have a 3.9-3.92 GPA in Computer Science from UVa.   Was wondering what your opinion is of my chances are at Harvard or Stanford?

I'm also considering NYU, Columbia, or UChicago.

Advice is appreciated.  Thanks -

Jerry Maguire

• View Profile
Re: Harvard or Stanford chances
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2008, 04:15:02 PM »
Well I got a 169 and I got a 3.65 from UCLA. I got into Boalt and UCLA, waiting on Stanford and Harvard and Yale and Columbia, so we in the same boat still...

Harvard emailed me though and said they havent made a decision and I could augment my file with new grades, essays, recs, etc. I didn't lol.

-H

indyguy7484

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2008, 04:24:09 PM »
Are you talking about this cycle or are you applying for Fall 2009?  I'm pretty sure most of those places don't take the February LSAT score for the current cycle.

aporia

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2008, 04:26:43 PM »
Are you talking about this cycle or are you applying for Fall 2009?  I'm pretty sure most of those places don't take the February LSAT score for the current cycle.

And if you're applying for the '09 cycle, you should retake the LSAT.  A 172 or higher would really help your chances of getting into Stanford or Harvard.
Columbia 2011

Jerry Maguire

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2008, 04:27:39 PM »
Retake a 169? Retake a 96-97th percentile score? Risky... I'd say keep it.

aporia

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2008, 04:28:47 PM »
Retake a 169? Retake a 96-97th percentile score? Risky... I'd say keep it.

If he scored higher on his practice tests, it shouldn't be a real risk. 
Columbia 2011

indyguy7484

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2008, 04:32:14 PM »
I would agree that a retake is probably in order if you're dead set on Harvard or Columbia.  Stanford (depending on softs), NYU and Chicago are still in play with a 169, though.  I also agree that there isn't much risk in retaking.  You already have a good score on your record and if you somehow score lower you can just submit an addendum saying you were sick.  Not a big deal, IMHO.

apx1393

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2008, 04:33:46 PM »
I did score higher on my practice tests, but that was on average.   I scored anywhere from 168 - 175.   The reason I don't really want to take it again is because I don't have as much time as I had before to study and there's no guarantee that I'll do better.   As you guys know, there are 20 different factors that determine your test score, aside from how well you do practice tests.

What do you guys think?

aporia

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2008, 04:37:01 PM »
I did score higher on my practice tests, but that was on average.   I scored anywhere from 168 - 175.   The reason I don't really want to take it again is because I don't have as much time as I had before to study and there's no guarantee that I'll do better.   As you guys know, there are 20 different factors that determine your test score, aside from how well you do practice tests.

What do you guys think?

If you want to go to Harvard or Stanford, you need to retake the test.  Your GPA gives you a decent shot at admission, but with a 169, it's far from a lock.

If you want it, study for it and get a better score.  Simple as that.
Columbia 2011

Jerry Maguire

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2008, 04:38:28 PM »

What do you guys think?

If you want to go to Harvard or Stanford, you need to retake the test.  Your GPA gives you a decent shot at admission, but with a 169, it's far from a lock.

If you want it, study for it and get a better score.  Simple as that.

Wrong, you don't NEED to retake it.