Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: new development - north carolina central performance based admission program  (Read 603 times)

falkies

• View Profile
Finally heard from North Carolina Central.  They said I would need to take their Performance Based Admission Program from May 12 - 23 and at that time I would be evaluated and considered for admission.  I really want to go to this school for many reasons, one big one being that it is the cheapest law school in the country.  I have been accepted to other schools I would be happy at, but I don't know what to do.  The program is not a guarantee of admission, sort of like an audition.  And if I don't get in after jumping through their hoops, I will be without a law school to go to unless I put a deposit on one of my accepting schools and sort of play the field.  The program and room and board is free, but I would have to get there myself.  This program also starts 2 days after graduation, and I had planned to spend that time packing and moving.  What should I do??

upgrade

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Finally heard from North Carolina Central.  They said I would need to take their Performance Based Admission Program from May 12 - 23 and at that time I would be evaluated and considered for admission.  I really want to go to this school for many reasons, one big one being that it is the cheapest law school in the country.  I have been accepted to other schools I would be happy at, but I don't know what to do.  The program is not a guarantee of admission, sort of like an audition.  And if I don't get in after jumping through their hoops, I will be without a law school to go to unless I put a deposit on one of my accepting schools and sort of play the field.  The program and room and board is free, but I would have to get there myself.  This program also starts 2 days after graduation, and I had planned to spend that time packing and moving.  What should I do??

Put a deposit down at your second choice, attend the summer program, and go from there.

Quail!

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re-take LSAT?

Or what the dude above me said.

JeNeSaisLaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
I've heard rumblings that they want to raise tuition because they're getting a reputation of being a cheap school, which connotes a cheap education. I would ask them if they expect tuition to rise only with academic inflation and also if they're unsure, whether or not they will do something for current students with current cost expectations. Steer away from general, handy-wavy answers. That is, if they say tuition will only rise at a reasonable rate and they will do their best to meet the needs, that's just not good enough of an answer unless you're willing to pay twice as much (if not more) for the same education.

That said, they have a decent reputation in NC. Not anywhere else, obviously, but decent enough in NC. It's cheap enough, for now, that it won't be a big deal if you don't practice law (financially speaking) because it'd be a manageable amount of debt (unlike Campbell or Elon or Charlotte).
LSN
Vanderbilt Class of 2011

natilaw2008

• View Profile
I think that's absolutely ridiculous that a school brings in students in the summer to test whether or not they are worthy for admission. What a bunch of bullcrap. No offense. Do you really want to go through this? Sounds a little bit degrading for me. I'm imagining having to endure a week of testing/classes/etc... after having already gone through the brutalness of the LSAT(as if the LSAT wasn't even to determine eligibility).

Think twice about this.

I am Penny Lane

• Sr. Citizen
  • Manager of the "Get Dotlyn to go to FSU" Campaign!
    • View Profile
    • LSN - What do you think of my choices?
I think that's absolutely ridiculous that a school brings in students in the summer to test whether or not they are worthy for admission. What a bunch of bullcrap. No offense. Do you really want to go through this? Sounds a little bit degrading for me. I'm imagining having to endure a week of testing/classes/etc... after having already gone through the brutalness of the LSAT(as if the LSAT wasn't even to determine eligibility).

Think twice about this.

A lot of state schools do this.
LSN

Quote from: dotlyn
PennyLane invented sweet. She has the patent on it. I tried to act sweet one time and she sued me.