Law School Discussion

SMU or Chicago High 2Tier

SMU or Chicago High 2Tier
« on: February 25, 2008, 09:41:23 AM »
I want Big Law and have every intention of being a gunner in LS, Im originally from the Chicago Area, and I think I have a pretty good shot at a scholarship at the High 2 tier chicago schools (Kent, Loyola). I have heard that Southern Methodist places very well at the big firms in Texas (Dallas especially), and I would definitely move there...whats a 3.8-167 to do?

Re: SMU or Chicago High 2Tier
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2008, 09:50:01 AM »
You shouldn't go to a Chicago T2 unless it is free and they are giving you an apartment for 3 years.  SMU is an ok choice if you like Texas and get 25k per year, but a 3.8/164 should get you into some schools in the 20-25 range, and some with decent money.  Another 2 points on the LSAT gets you Texas/Vandy/USC/UCLA, and another 3 or 4 points gets you some lower T14s.

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2008, 10:25:12 AM »
Exactly what he said.  If you are set on making this decision, though, SMU is a million times better.

Quail!

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2008, 10:34:05 AM »
Re-take LSAT => Raise by a few points => go to a lower T14/15-20 => eliminate the need to be a gunnerdouche => have friends.

ywia.

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2008, 10:49:37 AM »
Re-take LSAT => Raise by a few points => go to a lower T14/15-20 => eliminate the need to be a gunnerdouche => have friends.

ywia.

TITCR

Quail!

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2008, 12:17:35 PM »
Oh My second biggest problem which I have forgotten to mention is that Im going to be doing a JD/MBA and Im comin' straight from UG which pretty much eliminates the t20 for me (All want at minimum 1 year work experience or a ridiculous GMAT). I am thinking I can get into a mediocre T1 Law and Business School and that should do the trick for me.

Mediocre schools are a much bigger stretch for BigLaw (being a gunner doesn't mean that you'll do well enough to land one).  I know several people at T14s who went straight through to JD/MBA programs - it is definitely doable.

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2008, 12:27:19 PM »
Why do you want a JD/MBA?  There's not much use for it.

SMU places in Dallas about as well as a 20-25 school would in its own market.

I bet you can do better on the LSAT.

Quail!

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2008, 12:59:43 PM »
I could probably do better on the LSAT, as I was practicing at about 167, but Im going to be studying for the GMAT and I really don't feel like taking it again. About the JD/MBA, I eventually want to start my own real estate development firm, I think a business education might be useful for that.

Studying for the a re-take of the LSAT is not half as bad as studying for the first time around; it's more like just keeping in practice (and working on specific weak spots that you identified).

I don't know how relevant a JD/MBA is for what you want to do, but there is also always the possibility of going back and getting it later.

Letting a few-hour exam get in the way of your possible career options would not be smart.  You want BigLaw, so you should go to the best school you can.

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2008, 06:02:09 PM »
I think for that purpose working for some guys who are active in local real estate would be a lot more helpful, and cheaper.

But I believe that if you can hit a 167 in practice, you can hit a 170 in practice too.  It took me a while to get my stride with the LSAT.

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2008, 11:39:27 PM »
I could probably do better on the LSAT, as I was practicing at about 167, but Im going to be studying for the GMAT and I really don't feel like taking it again. About the JD/MBA, I eventually want to start my own real estate development firm, I think a business education might be useful for that.

Sure an MBA would be useful, but I bet not as useful as real work experience.  Just something to consider, one of my best friends dropped out of high school, entered the mortgage industry and became a loan officer.  Last year he cleared $400k, his $1.5 million house is almost done being built, and his second child is almost here.  I couldn't be more proud of him.  Obviously just an anecdote, he was an unbelievable go-getter/persuasive talker, but something to ponder.  You are obviously already set on law school, which is great, but I don't know that an MBA would really put you that far ahead of the game in real estate.  I could be wrong...