Law School Discussion

Michigan/Duke/Virginia/Texas$$

Re: Michigan/Duke/Virginia/Texas$$
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2008, 05:51:43 AM »
Texas or Mich >-UVA and throw Duke away unless they give you a full ride. For the best BIgLaw Texas placements I'd say Michigan (unless you are top 10ish% at UT) UVA is close and will also do very well and Duke has nothing over UT.

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2008, 07:01:26 AM »
Some of the advice here is a little off. Going to UT because you want to live there is probably a dumb idea. UT has been sliding down in its reputation and i dont think it's going to bounce back. All of your class mates will be competing with you for biglaw jobs. Your opportunities out of Mich/UVA are ten times better than out of UT, especially since you have connections to Texas. It's very easy to get a job from UVA in Texas for example if you have connections. We had 1ls here who didn't get their grades back, and got like 4 offers in Houston. So out of all the schools, i'd say go to UVA because Texas seems to like us a lot. And dont worry about the debt. Texas biglaw pays 160K a year now, so your loans will be paid off pretty quickly at that rate due to the low COL.
From UVA you'll have to convince firms that you want to work for them. From UT you'll have to convince them that they want to hire you, and there will be 500 others like you trying to do the same... do the math.

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2008, 07:26:28 AM »
I don't think UT's reputation is sliding, and it certainly isn't sliding in TX.

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2008, 08:09:42 AM »
To the OP, if you're from Texas, have family there, want to live there after school, and can graduate from UT with little to no debt, there's absolutely nothing wrong with choosing UT.  Most people on here are fixated with getting a biglaw job, mostly to be able to pay off their massive student loan debts, and will thus advocate the highest ranked school.  But if you can avoid that expense, you'd be in a very enviable position amongst law students while still graduating with a prestigious degree. 

But if debt is of no concern to you and you simply want the most prestigious degree and job you can get, Michigan or UVA would be the way to go.

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2008, 05:59:02 PM »
Some of the advice here is a little off. Going to UT because you want to live there is probably a dumb idea. UT has been sliding down in its reputation and i dont think it's going to bounce back. All of your class mates will be competing with you for biglaw jobs. Your opportunities out of Mich/UVA are ten times better than out of UT, especially since you have connections to Texas. It's very easy to get a job from UVA in Texas for example if you have connections. We had 1ls here who didn't get their grades back, and got like 4 offers in Houston. So out of all the schools, i'd say go to UVA because Texas seems to like us a lot. And dont worry about the debt. Texas biglaw pays 160K a year now, so your loans will be paid off pretty quickly at that rate due to the low COL.
From UVA you'll have to convince firms that you want to work for them. From UT you'll have to convince them that they want to hire you, and there will be 500 others like you trying to do the same... do the math.

I appreciate this opinion being that you actually go to Virginia. So if you don't mind me asking what percentage of the class can get a biglaw job in the south coming from Virginia...(or at least what has the school told you).

« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2008, 06:11:08 PM »
Texas isn't prestigious.  At all.  It's a BigLaw factory for Texas residents.

Pick UVa before you regret the decision; it has more clout in the South than Michigan.

You are obviously not from Texas. How people think of UT around the rest of the country I do not know, but in Texas everyone thinks it is king...ie. UT law is very pretigious here. Also, when you consider that the vast majority of partners and senior partners in the major firms are all UT grads, noone is looking down their nose at you when they see you went to UT (from what I hear).

Having said that, there is validity to the fact that their will be many UT grads all competing for the same Biglaw jobs, and therefore it makes sense to me that the other schools probably have an edge. I'm just trying to figure out how big that edge is, and if it is worth 70-90K. From these posts, as well as from many whom I have talked to, it seems like this topic is far more subjective than I originally had hoped.

« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2008, 07:51:53 PM »
UVA would be hard to turn down

« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2008, 10:46:31 PM »
Contrary to the posts on this thread, Duke places better than UVA or Michigan in big law. http://lawfirmaddict.blogspot.com/

Higher percentage of grads at each breakdown, and overall Duke placed 55.8% at Vault 100 firms, whereas Virginia and Michigan placed 41.4 and 41.3%, respectively.

For Texas, Virginia placed 2.7%, Duke 2.0%, and Michigan 1.9%. Texas, of course, was much higher with 16.5%. But then Texas only placed 28.7% overall in Vault 100.

Texas is a great school, if you want to stay in the state, go to UT. If you know you want to do big law, likely outside of TX, go to Duke.

« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2008, 11:58:49 PM »
Texas w/$$$

« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2008, 05:34:22 AM »
Contrary to the posts on this thread, Duke places better than UVA or Michigan in big law. http://lawfirmaddict.blogspot.com/

Higher percentage of grads at each breakdown, and overall Duke placed 55.8% at Vault 100 firms, whereas Virginia and Michigan placed 41.4 and 41.3%, respectively.

For Texas, Virginia placed 2.7%, Duke 2.0%, and Michigan 1.9%. Texas, of course, was much higher with 16.5%. But then Texas only placed 28.7% overall in Vault 100.

Texas is a great school, if you want to stay in the state, go to UT. If you know you want to do big law, likely outside of TX, go to Duke.

Dude, thank you sooo much for this link!!! You have made my day. (Finally, something more than endless opinion, although I appreciate the opinions too.)
I was also wondering why many seem to be dismissive of Duke??? Anyways, thanks again. I really appreciate it.