Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Part-Time Experiences  (Read 2642 times)

ace0260

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Part-Time Experiences
« on: February 24, 2008, 04:12:42 PM »
id appreciate it if anyone would share their part-time experiences or experiences of others. Im interested in how manageable a full-time job is.

limegreen

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Part-Time Experiences
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2008, 05:56:38 PM »
tag.

SCK2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2008, 05:59:30 PM »
Tag.
Honorable Mention/All-Valley Tournament

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2008, 05:09:38 PM »
My experience: it blows-

Working 30hrs a week you get about 5 hrs a night of sleep during the week. Full time... People do it, but I don't understand how.

I wouldn't count on 4yrs in a PT program working full time unless you are one of those people who can do without sleep (I am not)
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?

johnkadell

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2008, 06:46:45 PM »
I'm in my second year as a part-time student at a T2.  I have to agree with the post before me.  I list the pros and cons as I see it

Pros
Experience:  I had the opportunity to work for a law firm as an assistant and work for a judge.  This was all before my end of my first year.  This is a plus in 2 regards 1) its work experience you would not have otherwise received if you went full time as a 1L 2) you get the opportunity to meet tons of attorneys and judges in the area

Cons
Everything else: I am in class 6-8 two days a week and 6-10 the other two days.  That means I get up at 630 every morning (because of work) and I dont get home to at least 830, usually later because I have to read for my classes.  So picture this, you 9am-8pm/9am-10pm (work/school days) and on top of that you have to brief cases and outline.  So there goes your weekend.

RoughRider

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2008, 11:21:16 AM »
I've talked to a couple of people who worked FT while doing a PT program.  Each have said that it is totally doable.  However, those I've talked to went to school years ago, so some of the pain and suffering may have worn off.  It's looking like I'll have to go the PT route, and it isn't sounding too fun. 

SCK2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2008, 07:28:13 PM »
Good info.  I haven't decided if and how much I am going to work.  I'd love to focus solely on school for the first year.  Should I keep this a secret?  Meaning, have you noticed any resentment from classmates towards those not working?  Can you speak at all to how future employers might feel about it?

sydneybristow

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2008, 07:33:06 PM »
tag.

(i'm considering GULC PT & staying at my job as a paralegal, but would likely reduce my hours to less than full-time)

SCK2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2008, 07:51:54 PM »
Makes sense.  Definitely things I will have to keep in mind.  Thanks a lot Matthies.

RoughRider

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2008, 01:35:27 PM »
I'm in my third of four years going PT, also did 1 year fulltime getting my LLM/MLS (so 4 years in law school thus far). I don't work FT, maybe not even really part-time, I only work about 40 hours a month on my small biz, but I clerk on top of that anouther 40 hours a month. However, many of my classmates work FT plus have families. Everyone at the top of my class works FT, most have at least 1 kid too. It can be done, how well you do it depends on how well you manage your time. The people who are the best at it are the best time manangers I have ever seen. They still take vacations and trips as well to work and do law school, things I don't do, and still do really well.

Thanks for your perspective Matthies.  I'm married and have two small kids so I'm worried about being able to spend quality time with them.  I did the part-time school, full-time work thing recently to finish my UG, and while it was totally doable with good time-management, I figure that it will be that much harder with law school.  I also know someone with a small family who did PT law school, FT work, was near the top of his class, law review, etc., but wasn't home that much at all.  I know there's a balance.  Just a lot to consider.  Thanks again for the good info.