Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Most competetive markets?  (Read 2571 times)

john jacob

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Most competetive markets?
« on: February 24, 2008, 03:50:32 PM »
What are the most competetive markets? And by that notion, which are the least competitive?

Sergio

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Most competetive markets?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2008, 04:45:42 PM »
I'd like to hear about Boston vs. NY vs. Philly vs. DC.

woeisme

• Sr. Citizen
  • Untouchable
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2008, 04:46:50 PM »
NY
Cornell Law School Class of 2011 ... ftw.

woeisme

• Sr. Citizen
  • Untouchable
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2008, 04:47:37 PM »
NY > DC > Boston > Philly

That's based on absolutely nothing. Just my guess. Ha!

Sergio

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2008, 04:51:33 PM »
Honestly, you're probably right.  Unfortunately, I like Boston a lot, but I can only get Suffolk there, which is pricey.

woeisme

• Sr. Citizen
  • Untouchable
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2008, 04:54:39 PM »
Honestly, you're probably right.  Unfortunately, I like Boston a lot, but I can only get Suffolk there, which is pricey.

I'm confused. Boston isn't THAT competitive of a market, I don't think. And you don't HAVE to go to school in the area that you want to work (though it probably helps).

bruinbro

• Sr. Citizen
  • B-Blitz
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2008, 04:58:45 PM »
What are the most competetive markets? And by that notion, which are the least competitive?

Depends on what you mean by "competative" market.

If you mean "competative" as in a relatively limited number of BigLaw associate positions available, then the answer would be markets like Boston, Denver, and Miami.

If you mean "competative" as in the best candidates are competing for the BigLaw jobs, then the answer would be New York, DC, and San Fran.
In: Case Western ($$), IU-B ($$), USD ($$), Pitt ($$), Iowa, Wisconsin , George Mason ($), Loyola-LA ($$), UC-Davis, UIUC ($), American, Tulane ($$),GW
Out: Notre Dame,BC,WUSTL,Cornell,W&L

Sergio

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2008, 05:03:10 PM »
I would also be interested in the possibility of mid and small law jobs for the majority of people that don't get Biglaw.  Like, is it Biglaw or the street corners...

Stuje1

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Law School Numbers Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2008, 12:59:25 AM »

Depends on what you mean by "competative" market.

If you mean "competative" as in a relatively limited number of BigLaw associate positions available, then the answer would be markets like Boston, Denver, and Miami.

If you mean "competative" as in the best candidates are competing for the BigLaw jobs, then the answer would be New York, DC, and San Fran.

Bruinbro is right on the $, totally depends on how you define "competitive"

NY certainly has the largest # of the "best and brightest" talent flocking to the city (probably followed by DC), but it is far from the most "competitive" market in terms of landing a BIGLAW job.  It is such a large market, that it is much easier to find a BIGLAW job there then in a lot of other cities, like in Boston. 

To go on, and add to, Bruinbro's lists.
Highest Talent level, so competing against top students: NYC, DC, LA, Boston, San Fran, Chicago
Hardest major city to get a BigLaw job, due to high demand city and smaller # of legal jobs: Boston, Seattle, Denver, Miami?, San Fran?

Don't get me wrong, getting a top BIGLAW job at any of the "Highest Talent Level" cities (e.g. NY, DC, Chi) is extremely difficult/competitive, but finding a solid job there is not as difficult as the other list of cities I mentioned.
8) Boston College
;D Colorado $, Wisconsin, OSU $, Indiana $, Case $$, Tulane $$$, Davis, Iowa, Hastings, UWashington
:-\ GW, WUSTL, Emory, WashLee, BostonU, Ariz, Minnesota
>:( Gtown, Mich, Nwestern, UIUC, Berk

cisforcookie

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2008, 06:52:17 AM »
Any place that would be really nice to live in will have a more competitive legal market. Those places also sometimes become more insular because they dislike all the new faces. New york has lots of jobs, and the weather is mediocre, and there's the smog and the traffic. But places like San Fran are really pleasant, so it's tougher to get the same job. Apply that methodology and I think you'll do well. Just think of it like buying real estate. You can get more house in Kansas City than you can in DC or San Fran for the same money, but you're also getting that location and what it brings. The effective "prices" in terms of credentials of jobs go up the more people want to live there relative to how many jobs there are. This is why so many people end up in new york.