Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Question regarding full time schedule  (Read 432 times)

justadreamer

• View Profile
    • Email
Question regarding full time schedule
« on: February 24, 2008, 01:34:37 PM »
So I will be going to law school in the fall full time. I am trying to decide whether I will keep my part time job or not. I was wondering if anybody knows of what a full time schedule consist of?

rtqw

• Sr. Citizen
  • Jim Tressel drinks wine coolers
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Question regarding full time schedule
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2008, 03:23:11 PM »
So I will be going to law school in the fall full time. I am trying to decide whether I will keep my part time job or not. I was wondering if anybody knows of what a full time schedule consist of?

A full time schedule in law school consists of a lot of work. Unless we're talking about something like 5 hours a week, don't keep your job. The ABA prohibits first year law students from working more than 20 hours a week and suggest that 1Ls don't work at all (although I don't think they are exactly knocking on your door to check).
University of Michigan Law School, Class of 2010
LSN

justadreamer

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2008, 03:42:46 PM »
well my job will only consist of 18 hours per week. However, its not extremely important or beneficial, so I will probably just leave. Do you know how many hours a full time law school schedule usually consist of? (mainly just the classes, I know that it requires many hours to study, read, etc.)

CLS2009Student

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2008, 08:14:40 PM »
I think the first year experience varies a lot, but I would recommend you avoid working at least until you know how much studying you have to do.  One thing to think about is the cost-benefit analysis:  If working causes your GPA to drop .5 pts, how much future income will that cost you?  Depending on what school you're going to, possibly a lot.

As has been mentioned, many law schools forbid employment during the first year.  ALL law schools at least have a cap on hours you may work (an ABA-requirement).