Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Is a 155 a horrible LSAT Score?  (Read 8635 times)

abbygal0330

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Is a 155 a horrible LSAT Score?
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2008, 07:28:46 PM »
I think it depends on how much waiting your wanting to do.... My friend got a 155 and got waitlisted at Cornell. He waited and waited and waited, and got pulled off the waitlist the day before classes started. He's now a 2L, on the Law Review, and made the top 1/3 of his class. So dont worry so much.
Harvard Law 2011

FreddyPharkas

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2008, 07:50:27 PM »
Doesn't that put you slightly over the median of law students?

So you're asking if it's horrible that you scored slightly above average?

It's certainly not horrible, just quite mediocre.

I took the exam 3x so I cannot take it again. I guess I went from 2 horrible scores (in the 140s) to a mediocre score (155).

Oh well. I didn't read where you had taken it three times, that puts you in a bad position.

Maybe wait until you can take it again and actually study some for the exam?

FreddyPharkas

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2008, 08:31:19 PM »

I took the exam 3x so I cannot take it again. I guess I went from 2 horrible scores (in the 140s) to a mediocre score (155).

Oh well. I didn't read where you had taken it three times, that puts you in a bad position.

My poor performance has less to do with studying and more to do with the fact that I am just not a good standardized test taker. I know it sounds like an excuse but I just get really nervous. I had a tutor, took princeton review and powerscore. I studied for over 1 year and spent over $3500 on classes, tutors and study aids. It sucks but I hope to atleast get into a tier 2. If I do I will definitely do my thing.

You know that law school exams are worse than the LSAT, right? Many of them have multiple choice questions and you have to take at least four per semester. At least with the LSAT you can guess and have a 20% chance (or better) of getting the right answer.

If you really put in that much work and time to only get a 155 and are looking at at Tier 2 school, think long and hard about your choice to attend law school. There's a very real chance that you'll end up at the median, which at a Tier 2 means it's almost impossible to get a job that will pay off your loans.

LWS08

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2008, 08:38:46 PM »

My poor performance has less to do with studying and more to do with the fact that I am just not a good standardized test taker. I know it sounds like an excuse but I just get really nervous. I had a tutor, took princeton review and powerscore. I studied for over 1 year and spent over $3500 on classes, tutors and study aids. It sucks but I hope to atleast get into a tier 2. If I do I will definitely do my thing.

You know that law school exams are worse than the LSAT, right? Many of them have multiple choice questions and you have to take at least four per semester. At least with the LSAT you can guess and have a 20% chance (or better) of getting the right answer.

If you really put in that much work and time to only get a 155 and are looking at at Tier 2 school, think long and hard about your choice to attend law school. There's a very real chance that you'll end up at the median, which at a Tier 2 means it's almost impossible to get a job that will pay off your loans.

In my eyes law school exams are different. # 1 They are not multiple choice. They require you to write which I can do just fine. # 2 I have a solid grasp of the LSAT, for some reason I just got extremely nervous during the exams. # 3 I work for a very busy law firm over 50 hours a week so it wasn't like I was devoting all my time (like people in college or those who can afford to be unemployed while they study for the exam) Bottom line there were mitigating circumstances that led to my 155. Thanks for all your input but I think I will be just fine at my tier 2 law school. ;D
"A Mind is a Terrible Thing to Waste."

FreddyPharkas

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2008, 08:50:24 PM »

In my eyes law school exams are different. # 1 They are not multiple choice. They require you to write which I can do just fine. # 2 I have a solid grasp of the LSAT, for some reason I just got extremely nervous during the exams. # 3 I work for a very busy law firm over 50 hours a week so it wasn't like I was devoting all my time (like people in college or those who can afford to be unemployed while they study for the exam) Bottom line there were mitigating circumstances that led to my 155. Thanks for all your input but I think I will be just fine at my tier 2 law school. ;D

I just told you that some law school exams ARE multiple choice, especially at lower ranked schools.

You were nervous during ALL THREE EXAMS? And you think you'll be just fine on actual law school exams?

You didn't think it was important enough for your future to take a little time off from your job to study for what is objectively the most important factor in where you go to law school and how much scholarship money you get?

I worked 50 hour weeks myself after college and had plenty of time to study. Evidentially you chose to devote yourself to other endeavors aside from studying for the other 113 hours a week you weren't working.

Naturally, it's your life and you should do what you want. It just pains me to see people so oblivious to things like this, especially when the hiring market for attorneys is not looking great in the short run.

Ignorance is bliss I suppose. Good luck to you!

LWS08

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2008, 09:04:49 PM »

I just told you that some law school exams ARE multiple choice, especially at lower ranked schools.

You were nervous during ALL THREE EXAMS? And you think you'll be just fine on actual law school exams?

You didn't think it was important enough for your future to take a little time off from your job to study for what is objectively the most important factor in where you go to law school and how much scholarship money you get?

I worked 50 hour weeks myself after college and had plenty of time to study. Evidentially you chose to devote yourself to other endeavors aside from studying for the other 113 hours a week you weren't working.

Naturally, it's your life and you should do what you want. It just pains me to see people so oblivious to things like this, especially when the hiring market for attorneys is not looking great in the short run.

Ignorance is bliss I suppose. Good luck to you!

They are not multiple choice at the ones that I applied to.  Secondly, I had to work and in terms of the other 113 hours, I don't know what job you have but mine is very intense and it wears me out. I don't know why you are being so combative. I worked hard and I know that its hard out there for those who do not go to good law schools and get good numbers. I have been working at a top NYC firm since I graduated from college in 2002 and know that if you do not do well in law school, you'll may end up working as a temp for very little money. Hey, I supervise temps that went to tier 2 and tier 3 law schools. The bottom line is that I will be the first person in my family to graduate from law school with my(155). I'm going to work hard and utilize tutors, extra help, etc. while in school. I'm not ignorant. And I'm going to become further educated during the next three years in law school That coupled with the fact that I know judges and partners at big law firms that are willing to "hook me up" puts me in a good place.  Am I happy with a 155, no. I'm cognizant of the fact that its not a good score. But there is nothing that I can do about it now. Stop being so combative and relax. I understand your perspective. ;)
"A Mind is a Terrible Thing to Waste."

citykid

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2008, 12:22:17 PM »
Lawstar- I think what you're doing is totally noble. I'm also first generation to graduate college (Ivy League, baby!) and pursue a law degree. Like you, I studied for the LSAT many,many hours and choked during the real thing. To make manners worse, I took it a second time and threw up during the break because I was so nervous! Now, as a post grad, I'm still working at a small NYC firm with a couple connections and wondering what I should do about the LSAT and law school. Looks like you and I are in the same boat (Tier 2 admits, wanting to do well...) I'm inclined to take my scholarship money at a Tier 2 and do the best I can on exams (btw I agree, they're soooo NOT multiple choice like some other people on this board mentioned, but rather essay type). Then again, there's always the hope of re-taking the LSAT and learning how to RELAX....Anyway, good luck to you!

Penn263

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2008, 06:06:31 PM »
I worked really hard and my pts scores were around a 160. But every time I took the actual test I became extremely nervous and did not perform as well as I could. I took it for the 3rd time 2/08 and got a 155. Is that a horrible score?

Come on now, can you please not post LSAT score questions on this board? There's an entire board JUST for the LSAT, go there. The people who use this board are all past the LSAT stage and don't want any reminders of this traumatizing segment of their lives.
To whom much is given, much is expected.

Penn263

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2008, 03:39:02 PM »
I worked really hard and my pts scores were around a 160. But every time I took the actual test I became extremely nervous and did not perform as well as I could. I took it for the 3rd time 2/08 and got a 155. Is that a horrible score?

Come on now, can you please not post LSAT score questions on this board? There's an entire board JUST for the LSAT, go there. The people who use this board are all past the LSAT stage and don't want any reminders of this traumatizing segment of their lives.

you're responding to a post from like 5-6 weeks ago.

Oh. Didn't notice. Well I guess I my post should've been to the poster above me who insisted on bumping the topic back up...though I've created a bit of a double standard.
To whom much is given, much is expected.