Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Am I doomed for Law School in 2008  (Read 692 times)

LWS08

• View Profile
Am I doomed for Law School in 2008
« on: February 23, 2008, 09:22:35 PM »
I applied in 12/07 but ended up having to take the LSAT again 2/08. Is that the equivalent to applying in February? I'm assuming that they put my application to the side unil they get my new score.
"A Mind is a Terrible Thing to Waste."

cisforcookie

• View Profile
Re: Am I doomed for Law School in 2008
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2008, 10:08:30 PM »
If you had an lsat score already, they might look at that and decide based on that. I think I recall hearing that schools will take note if you tell them that you have a future lsat score pending and will set aside your app til then. Don't worry about it. If your cycle goes poorly, just take a few years off and work. It'll make you a much better law applicant if you decide to try again, and it's good for your mental health.

Kevin '11

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2008, 11:17:33 PM »
Work is good for your mental health? I'll have to remember that one come Monday morning...  ;)

cisforcookie

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2008, 09:37:54 AM »
I subscribe to the policy of laziness first, last, and in between. still, the traditional path of undergrad directly into law school strikes me as seriously flawed. it's not like undergrad where you can come out with an engineering degree and happily go to finance or marketing if that's what you decide you want to do. a law degree fairly pigeonholes you both with debt and in your general outlook. without some real full time work experience, and some distance from the momentum that is 16 straight years of just going to school all your life, it's easy to not stop and think about whether law school is actually what you should be doing. this advice assumes that the original poster is coming out of undergrad, which I took from their rather panicked post. if they are a non-trad, then they'll probably be fine anyway since they already have a job that they could probly hold onto for another year anyway.

Kevin '11

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2008, 01:52:36 PM »
No I agree completely.  I think stepping away from school for a bit is important before law school.  It's been two years since I finished my bachelor's and I feel I will be in a much better position for law school this fall than if I had gone straight in.  My work experience has given me perspective on a lot of things, really, that it's just not possible to have when you've never been anything but a student.

I'm just not sure all those late nights at the office are good for my mental health.  That might be going a bit far...  :)