Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: $30K at NYLS...worth it?  (Read 4631 times)

epicac

• press play
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: $30K at NYLS...worth it?
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2008, 04:08:51 PM »
At BLS, the requirement to keep your scholarship used to be top 1/3, but candidates even thought that was too stringent of a requirement, so the school changed it to top 1/2. Top 15% is pretty serious. All it takes is your computer crashing half-way through one of your 1L exams & your scholarship might be gone.

Top 50%??  Wow, I didn't realize that.  Could you put in a good word for me?   ;D  Just kidding, but hopefully I get something soon from them, because I love the location and their unique programs.
riding a gravy train with biscuit wheels...

nerdmeist

• dum dum dum dummm
    • AOL Instant Messenger - iexbeeonz
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2008, 05:46:18 PM »
My top choice school is NYLS, and it was also the first school to accept me (w/ a measly $5k scholarship).  I've since been accepted to Pace ($15k), NESL ($20), and WNEC ($21k).  I pretty much ruled out MA schools, just because I do not want to move that far away. 

So, right now I'm between Pace and NYLS.  I've almost definately decided to go to NYLS, but I want to see if I can get a little more money from them.  Debt is in my future, there is no denying that.

imagurl

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2008, 05:49:27 PM »
I would definitely try to push for more money...what are your numbers like?  You'll be paying almost 35K/year for NYLS and factor in the cost of living in NYC and you are looking at some major loans.  Not to mention you will be competing with grads from NYU, Columbia, Fordham, Cardozo, and BLS for jobs.

nerdmeist

• dum dum dum dummm
    • AOL Instant Messenger - iexbeeonz
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2008, 05:53:50 PM »
3.5/156

The reason I'm so set on NYLS is because I'm very interested in Mental Health Law and they have a huge program.  And Prof. Perlin is huge in the field, so I figure that is where I should be.  I don't necessarily plan to live in NYC, because I am from NJ and I'm only a 20 min Path ride from the school.  I do plan to move in with a friend in JC though, which would be costly. 

I'm sort of hoping to get some outside scholarship help, but we'll see.  If all else fails, I'll move back in with my parents AFTER graduation!  haha

MahlerGrooves

• Sr. Citizen
  • See! Leonard Bernstein gave me a shoutout!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2008, 06:48:48 PM »
I would definitely try to push for more money...what are your numbers like?  You'll be paying almost 35K/year for NYLS and factor in the cost of living in NYC and you are looking at some major loans.  Not to mention you will be competing with grads from NYU, Columbia, Fordham, Cardozo, and BLS for jobs.

And grads from Harvard and Penn, two schools whose grads primarily want to work in NYC.

mathlete

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2008, 07:09:25 PM »
Definitely consider NYLS. It'd be a great place to attend because when you're living on the streets after graduating you might be able to spend a few nights in their new building by flashing your old student ID.

epicac

• press play
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2008, 08:28:51 PM »
Definitely consider NYLS. It'd be a great place to attend because when you're living on the streets after graduating you might be able to spend a few nights in their new building by flashing your old student ID.

Haha I guess this is a jab at me, don't know, but I'll already have a job at my bro's firm.  I could also just go back into bioengineering if I'm desperate, so i'm not really too concerned about this scenario.
riding a gravy train with biscuit wheels...

clairel

• Sr. Citizen
  • UChicago 3L
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2008, 08:38:03 PM »

And grads from Harvard and Penn, two schools whose grads primarily want to work in NYC.

i know many t14s are feeders into NYC. chicago, despite being in a pretty decent legal market, has a good number (at least 1/3, maybe more) headed to NYC. basically, you have to compete with nyu, columbia, and a healthy percentage from every other t14 school.

also top 15% is really bad. that's actually the worst gpa requirement i've heard  :-\

Curious George

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2008, 01:05:30 PM »
I have also received a 30k/year scholarship offer from NYLS.

They were the first school to notify me.

I've since been informed of acceptance to Tulane with a scholarship, but the email said that my scholarship package is in the mail. (Ah, I can't wait!)

These online message boards are a love/hate relationship for me.  I read so many contradictory things on the internet.

I realize that NYLS isn't the greatest, but my ideal place to go to school and to live would be NYC, and considering I wasn't even sure I'd be accepted into law schools, these scholarship notices have been a nice surprise.  I suppose I sold myself a little short.  I'm also waiting to hear from Brooklyn and Cardozo.

If I were to get accepted to either, I would certainly not expect any scholarship money.

So, with all of that said, I have a hypothetical scenario:

(Only including NYC schools)

NYLS - $30,000/year or Brooklyn/Cardozo - No money.

MahlerGrooves

• Sr. Citizen
  • See! Leonard Bernstein gave me a shoutout!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2008, 02:20:11 PM »
I have also received a 30k/year scholarship offer from NYLS.

They were the first school to notify me.

I've since been informed of acceptance to Tulane with a scholarship, but the email said that my scholarship package is in the mail. (Ah, I can't wait!)

These online message boards are a love/hate relationship for me.  I read so many contradictory things on the internet.

I realize that NYLS isn't the greatest, but my ideal place to go to school and to live would be NYC, and considering I wasn't even sure I'd be accepted into law schools, these scholarship notices have been a nice surprise.  I suppose I sold myself a little short.  I'm also waiting to hear from Brooklyn and Cardozo.

If I were to get accepted to either, I would certainly not expect any scholarship money.

So, with all of that said, I have a hypothetical scenario:

(Only including NYC schools)

NYLS - $30,000/year or Brooklyn/Cardozo - No money.

Dozo