Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: $30K at NYLS...worth it?  (Read 4482 times)

imagurl

• View Profile
$30K at NYLS...worth it?
« on: February 23, 2008, 08:54:02 PM »
Just looking to get some feedback. I have been accepted to NYLS with a $30K scholarship, renewable each year with conditions of course, and am still waiting to hear from Fordham, Brooklyn, and Cardozo.  I don't think I will get much money from those three, since my LSAT was 162.  Any opinions on whether it would be better to pay a lot more if I got into one of the last three since their rep is better, or is NYLS a good deal with the scholarship?  There are so many different opinions about NYLS out there. 

PermanentlyOnline

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: $30K at NYLS...worth it?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2008, 09:00:36 PM »
How fixated are you on the NY market? If the answer is very, hold out for Fordham. From what I understand, it is worth it, and keep in mind, you'll be competing with the T-14, and esp. NYU and Columbia, for whom NYC is home base
3.07/159, trying to figure out how much distance I can handle b/t my fam fam and I.

imagurl

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2008, 09:06:27 PM »
I definitely want to stay in NY, as my family and friends are all here.  I am in my late 20's and have 5 years teaching experience, so I am a little bit of an untraditional candidate.  The debt is really weighing on me, Fordham would be fantastic if I got in, but I can't imagine paying for the whole thing.  Being from such a competitive city for law schools is a tough one.

imagurl

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2008, 11:18:45 PM »
Any other thoughts? 

AskMeQuestions

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2008, 09:07:09 AM »
For what it's worth, here is my opinion (I am an "early 1990's" grad from a top-20).  I usually tell people to go to the best law school they can afford.  There are, however, some other things to consider. 

Certainly, the other schools you mentioned have better reputations than NYLS, but one reason for that is that the students are better, which will mean more competition for you. If you end up toward the top of your class at NYLS, you will be fine.  In fact, you will be bettter off than someone in the middle or toward the bottom of the other schools you mentioned.  Sometimes, being a big fish in a small pond isn't so bad.  Also, if some of those conditions regarding the money are that you need to stay within a certain % of the class, going to a lower-ranked school will probably make that a little easier. 

Also, it is pretty hard to turn down $90,000.  That freedom will allow you to take a different type of job (if you don't want to work in a big firm), and it will make law school and finding a job a lot less stressful.  Also, while your friends will be sacrificing certain luxuries and/or necessities because they are paying off their debts for the next ten or fifteen years, you won't have to.

Last two thoughts - (1) I do not know the deans at the other law schools, but NYLS's dean is very good, and he has a lot of very good ideas for what a law school should be.  (2) Reagardless of where you go, if you do well, you will be able to find a good job (assuming you have some social skills and come across okay on an interview).

Good luck.           

imagurl

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2008, 09:52:22 AM »
Thank you so much to the people who replied...your contribution is greatly appreciated.

Quail!

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2008, 10:51:16 AM »
Certainly, the other schools you mentioned have better reputations than NYLS, but one reason for that is that the students are better, which will mean more competition for you. If you end up toward the top of your class at NYLS, you will be fine.  In fact, you will be bettter off than someone in the middle or toward the bottom of the other schools you mentioned.  Sometimes, being a big fish in a small pond isn't so bad.  Also, if some of those conditions regarding the money are that you need to stay within a certain % of the class, going to a lower-ranked school will probably make that a little easier. 

Going to a lower-ranked school is absolutely, unquestionably NOT a guarantee (or even an indication) of finishing higher in your class.  I do not advise that you take that risk.

Sergio

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2008, 04:43:12 PM »
I heard NYLS is full of rich slackers, which should be good for working hard and getting good class rank.  I say this expecting some dough from them, though not nearly as much as the OP.

woeisme

• Sr. Citizen
  • Untouchable
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2008, 04:45:27 PM »
What are your career goals?
Cornell Law School Class of 2011 ... ftw.

epicac

• press play
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2008, 11:59:02 AM »
Just looking to get some feedback. I have been accepted to NYLS with a $30K scholarship, renewable each year with conditions of course, and am still waiting to hear from Fordham, Brooklyn, and Cardozo.  I don't think I will get much money from those three, since my LSAT was 162.  Any opinions on whether it would be better to pay a lot more if I got into one of the last three since their rep is better, or is NYLS a good deal with the scholarship?  There are so many different opinions about NYLS out there. 

I'm in the same boat as you... NYLS gave me that offer, and while my (and I'm assuming your) scholarship is dependent on being in the top 15%, I think I can hold it.  The new building looks incredible, the location is unbeatable, and if you are confident in your own abilities, I say go for it.
riding a gravy train with biscuit wheels...