Law School Discussion

$30K at NYLS...worth it?

Re: $30K at NYLS...worth it?
« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2008, 12:49:03 PM »
I have also received a 30k/year scholarship offer from NYLS.

They were the first school to notify me.

I've since been informed of acceptance to Tulane with a scholarship, but the email said that my scholarship package is in the mail. (Ah, I can't wait!)

These online message boards are a love/hate relationship for me.  I read so many contradictory things on the internet.

I realize that NYLS isn't the greatest, but my ideal place to go to school and to live would be NYC, and considering I wasn't even sure I'd be accepted into law schools, these scholarship notices have been a nice surprise.  I suppose I sold myself a little short.  I'm also waiting to hear from Brooklyn and Cardozo.

If I were to get accepted to either, I would certainly not expect any scholarship money.

So, with all of that said, I have a hypothetical scenario:

(Only including NYC schools)

NYLS - $30,000/year or Brooklyn/Cardozo - No money.

Dozo

I assume that you would say that same for Brooklyn (None) vs. NYLS (30k)?

MahlerGrooves

• See! Leonard Bernstein gave me a shoutout!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2008, 12:50:20 PM »
I have also received a 30k/year scholarship offer from NYLS.

They were the first school to notify me.

I've since been informed of acceptance to Tulane with a scholarship, but the email said that my scholarship package is in the mail. (Ah, I can't wait!)

These online message boards are a love/hate relationship for me.  I read so many contradictory things on the internet.

I realize that NYLS isn't the greatest, but my ideal place to go to school and to live would be NYC, and considering I wasn't even sure I'd be accepted into law schools, these scholarship notices have been a nice surprise.  I suppose I sold myself a little short.  I'm also waiting to hear from Brooklyn and Cardozo.

If I were to get accepted to either, I would certainly not expect any scholarship money.

So, with all of that said, I have a hypothetical scenario:

(Only including NYC schools)

NYLS - $30,000/year or Brooklyn/Cardozo - No money.

Dozo

I assume that you would say that same for Brooklyn (None) vs. NYLS (30k)?

I think so.  The grade requirement for the NYLS scholarship is INSANE.  You may end up doing NYLS with no money as well (top 15% is TOUGH), so it may even out.

« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2008, 09:18:02 PM »
If you get into either Brooklyn/Cardozo with no money, it's still better than NYLS.  The $90K scholarship won't mean much if you can't land a good paying job afterwards and if you get out of the gate on the wrong foot (meaning don't land a good 2L summer job), then it's an uphill battle.

Scholarships tend to put more pressure on the student to finish at a certain percentile to keep the scholarship, which can drive some off the wall considering that first year is painful.

MahlerGrooves

• See! Leonard Bernstein gave me a shoutout!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 16, 2008, 08:51:44 AM »
If you get into either Brooklyn/Cardozo with no money, it's still better than NYLS.  The $90K scholarship won't mean much if you can't land a good paying job afterwards and if you get out of the gate on the wrong foot (meaning don't land a good 2L summer job), then it's an uphill battle.

Scholarships tend to put more pressure on the student to finish at a certain percentile to keep the scholarship, which can drive some off the wall considering that first year is painful.

This is so true.  Without gong into detail, a friend of mine hated his 2L summer firm (a smaller firm in the region) and decided to apply other places for post-graduation real work.  Well, he got a job at a firm making $20/hr doing doc review and hated it.  Now he is desperate and looking for anything better - even non-legal jobs.

And this is from a respected high T2 in the region.

« Reply #34 on: March 16, 2008, 12:23:57 PM »
The problem with NYC and California is that law students/lawyers are a dime a dozen.

Plus, all this talk about wanting to experience the NYC life but seriously, you're not going to have much time your law school to really be partying it up, from experience, those who partied a lot during first year besides 1 or 2 geniuses are struggling to find a good job.  So that's something to consider.