Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: haven't heard from half the schools I applied to, what to do?  (Read 503 times)

falkies

• View Profile
haven't heard from half the schools I applied to, what to do?
« on: February 23, 2008, 03:58:55 PM »
Accepted to 4, waitlisted on 4, haven't heard from 8.  Should I call?  I checked their websites and can't find any info as far as checking my app. status.  How do law schools react when you call?  Would it affect my chances?  Have to decide by st patty's and not many mail days left to wait for answers

siski

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: haven't heard from half the schools I applied to, what to do?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2008, 04:07:47 PM »
Why do you have to decide by Mar 17? Is that a self-imposed cut off, or did one of your accept schools give you that date?

siski

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2008, 09:56:41 PM »
Most schools require the deposit to be postmarked by the set date. You should check on that, because it may allow you some more leeway with when you need to submit a deposit.

Also, you need to ask yourself: is one (or more) of the 8 schools somewhere you would definitely go to, over your 4 accepts/4 waitlists? If you want to hold out for other schools, pick your favorite of your 4 accepts, put down a deposit there, and ride the waitlists/slow decision-makers. You might also try asking your preferred school for an extension on the deposit date, but I have no idea if they're friendly to that.

So, the bottom line is: if you're intent on trying to attend a school you haven't heard from yet, you may need to sacrifice the deposit to a school you've already been accepted to. You can make a deposit and later choose not to go.

Out of curiosity, what schools are these? Do you have an LSN?

siski

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2008, 02:42:25 PM »
LSN = lawschoolnumbers.com -- Click on the 'I am a statistic' link in my sig to see what the site's about -- it's a way to track your application cycle.

It sucks that the schools are taking so long, but it's worth it to make a deposit and potentially lose it, if you get into a school you'd prefer to go to later.

Good luck!