Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 167, 3.7 Latina Chances?  (Read 2849 times)

acatac

• View Profile
167, 3.7 Latina Chances?
« on: February 22, 2008, 11:16:12 PM »
So I, like many on this board, am less than psyched about my Feb LSAT score. Before I rush out and register to retake and pay a ton of money for a class (I self-studied), I was hoping that I could get a little advice on my chances at a T14 with scholarship. I want to become a professor (I'm actually applying for JD/PhD), and I can't afford to be in debt after about 7 years of school.

Here's a little bit about me: 167, 3.7 from a top liberal arts college, research experience, publications, hopefully some presentations at major meetings, very strong recs (and maybe some calls), interesting PS

I know that being Latina will be a boost, but I want to feel fairly confident that I can get in on my own. In light of my need for serious financial aid, should I study up and retake the LSAT, or do you think I should be fine?

Thanks for the help!

steuby

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: 167, 3.7 Latina Chances?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2008, 11:20:25 PM »
Acatac, I'm sure I'm not the best informed person on the issue, but from what I understand, hispanics have been dropping in terms of participation in law schools, so that should be a big advantage for you.

Concerning scholarships, I don't think your #s merit them (at T14, mind you,) unless they are need-based, special race-based, etc.

Good luck.

UFBoldAsLove

• Sr. Citizen
  • Go Gators.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2008, 11:25:03 PM »
I have similar numbers and am a URM. So check out my cycle.
Vandy 1L... really?

SCK2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2008, 11:27:54 PM »
If you think you can do better and can find a job and don't mind waiting a year then study some more and save some cash and take the test in June.  You'll be able to apply earlier in the cycle at the least and if you improve your score you will have a better chance at the scholarship money you want.  I think.  Unless you really really want to start school in the Fall I think there is no harm in waiting.  But that's just me.
Honorable Mention/All-Valley Tournament

acatac

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2008, 10:20:34 AM »
I plan on matriculating in 2009, so i do have some time. So now that I have pretty much decided to re-take (probably in October), what would you recommend in terms of prep for a re-take? I work full-time and am taking a class at Columbia this semester, so some sort of self-study plan would probably be best.  For the Feb 08 test, I prepped with about 10 preptests and the PS Bibles.

Considering that I am starting with a 167, do you think that the Blueprint or Testmasters self-study programs would be worthwhile or should I review the materials that I have and purchase additional preptests? Thanks again!

t L

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2008, 11:08:50 AM »
So I, like many on this board, am less than psyched about my Feb LSAT score. Before I rush out and register to retake and pay a ton of money for a class (I self-studied), I was hoping that I could get a little advice on my chances at a T14 with scholarship. I want to become a professor (I'm actually applying for JD/PhD), and I can't afford to be in debt after about 7 years of school.

Here's a little bit about me: 167, 3.7 from a top liberal arts college, research experience, publications, hopefully some presentations at major meetings, very strong recs (and maybe some calls), interesting PS

I know that being Latina will be a boost, but I want to feel fairly confident that I can get in on my own. In light of my need for serious financial aid, should I study up and retake the LSAT, or do you think I should be fine?

Thanks for the help!

What kind of Latina are you?  As of right now, I think you would get into a t-14.  If you didn't do your best on the LSAT, take a prep class and re-take.
Michigan 2L

acatac

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2008, 12:37:40 PM »
I am bi-racial- Honduran & white, and I was raised with a strong Honduran culture. I haven't seen too much on how Central Americans fall on the Latino "hierarchy" for law school admissions. I think that I will re-take, however, because I know that I can do better on the LSAT and because of my $$ need.

aporia

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2008, 01:23:46 PM »
Retake the LSAT.  If you want to teach, you need to break into CCN at the very least, and really should be reaching for HYS.  Shoot for a 172+ (the higher the better), and I'll sure you'll get in to Harvard or Stanford.
Columbia 2011

t L

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2008, 01:41:42 PM »
I am bi-racial- Honduran & white, and I was raised with a strong Honduran culture. I haven't seen too much on how Central Americans fall on the Latino "hierarchy" for law school admissions. I think that I will re-take, however, because I know that I can do better on the LSAT and because of my $$ need.

They come after Mexicans and Puerto Ricans in the boost category, but you have some other strong soft factors.  As of right now, I think you are looking at NYU on down.  Those should be schools that you could get into.  If you could get up to a 170-172, then I think HYSC, would easily come into play for you.  Those are the schools that you need to get into to do what you want to do.  Especially HYS.  Good luck.

ETA:  The schools that are best for academia (HYS) don't give out merit scholarships (supposedly).  So, that is something else you might want to consider.
Michigan 2L

TallisUmbras

• Sr. Citizen
  • The Doors of Night
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2008, 05:58:35 PM »
You can look at my cycle as well. I'm not sure the advice you have gotten thus far is the best or most accurate.

PM if you want details as I would be glad to talk to you about what strategies I have understaken during this cycle.
Two schools enter, one school leaves: Harvard defeated MasterBlaster.

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=TallisUmbras