Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Balancing law school and family life  (Read 1596 times)

Breeca

• View Profile
Balancing law school and family life
« on: February 22, 2008, 10:53:55 PM »
Is this a concern for other potential law students??  I am currently a (kinda bored) SAHM and wonder how going to LS will affect my kids and hubby.  Anyone in a similar situation??  I think my biggest fear is that I will enjoy LS and working so much that it will overshadow my family's needs.  :'(  Either that or the other end of the spectrum, that I will hate everything about working and just want to be home  :D
GPA: 3.5
Feb LSAT: 166

lawmama

• View Profile
Re: Balancing law school and family life
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2008, 11:39:52 PM »
Definite concern!  I'm waiting to see if I am accepted (looks pretty likely but who knows) and I currently have a husband and a 6 month old.  I stay home with him (just got a work at home job) and it kills me to know that in 7 months, his trusting little face could be watching me walk away from leaving him in day care.... I cry just thinking about it.  I'd love nothing better than to stay home with him, but I know that to give him the lifestyle and opportunities he deserves, I need to do law school, and better to do it while he is young and won't remember the sacrifice - I will be the one sacrificing all those precious first moments.  We also want more kids, and since I am 32 and wsnt 3 or 4 and not spaced too far apart, I'd probably want to have #2 during law school, and not sure how do-able that is.  So, a lot to think about.

HippieLawChick

• Sr. Citizen
  • Current 2L
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2008, 01:00:30 PM »
Ladies: it all depends on what you hope to achieve in law school.  Do you think you want a job paying $135,000 after graduation working 70 hours a week?  If so, you will hurt your children, no way around that.  Are you planning to shoot for working at a smaller firm in a smaller town?  You might have fewer work hours and a better way of life that way.  Figure out what you want to do with your degree, and make realistic plans to go for it. 

I go to school with women who seem to want it all, but then hate themselves for not being with their families very much.  I was raised by a SAHM, and I think it was a good childhood.  I personally wouldn't want my child to grow up with one absent parent.  That's just me though. YMMV

lawmama

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2008, 01:16:46 PM »
Definitely I do not want to work 70-hour weeks (though I would be the breadwinner and my husband's profession COULD allow him to stay home a lot more, but weird as it seems, I'd be too jealous of that.)  But I do want to earn a lot of $$$$$ - so I would have to try to find the balance. 

Breeca

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2008, 04:57:10 PM »
Ladies: it all depends on what you hope to achieve in law school.  Do you think you want a job paying $135,000 after graduation working 70 hours a week?  If so, you will hurt your children, no way around that.  Are you planning to shoot for working at a smaller firm in a smaller town?  You might have fewer work hours and a better way of life that way.  Figure out what you want to do with your degree, and make realistic plans to go for it. 

I go to school with women who seem to want it all, but then hate themselves for not being with their families very much.  I was raised by a SAHM, and I think it was a good childhood.  I personally wouldn't want my child to grow up with one absent parent.  That's just me though. YMMV

Thanks for the insight.  At this point, I can assure myself all day long that I don't want to be a high-powered attorney, but I'm afraid my competitive spirit may kick in once I get to LS. 

My goal is to get my law degree and take any available classes specializing in banking, finance, trusts and estates.  I have an accounting undergraduate degree and hope to work in the trust department of a bank . . . . great hours, vacation plans, insurance, retirement plans, holidays.  As a back-up plan, I could work in a small local law firm specializing as much as I could in wills, trusts, and estates.  If all else fails, I'm also interested in facilitating international adoptions. 

I can not see putting my family in a financially difficult situation by taking out massive student loans for the sake of law school when I can get a full scholarship at a good school - even if it is t-3 or t-4.  Maybe I am naive, but I think I will have opportunities if I am not terrible picky about salary.  To a mid-western SAHM with little school debt, $50,000 looks fine!  That probably sounds pathetic to some of you city folk!  I'm a simple girl  ::) 

Of course, I could make $30-40,000 working full-time in accounting and not bother with law school . . . I won't start until 2009, so I've got some time to decide.

Breeca

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2008, 05:10:22 PM »
Definite concern!  I'm waiting to see if I am accepted (looks pretty likely but who knows) and I currently have a husband and a 6 month old.  I stay home with him (just got a work at home job) and it kills me to know that in 7 months, his trusting little face could be watching me walk away from leaving him in day care.... I cry just thinking about it.  I'd love nothing better than to stay home with him, but I know that to give him the lifestyle and opportunities he deserves, I need to do law school, and better to do it while he is young and won't remember the sacrifice - I will be the one sacrificing all those precious first moments.  We also want more kids, and since I am 32 and wsnt 3 or 4 and not spaced too far apart, I'd probably want to have #2 during law school, and not sure how do-able that is.  So, a lot to think about.

Good luck getting accepted!  It will all be worth it in the end.  I have three children and the youngest will be 3 if I start in 2009.  The others will be in school all day and I hope to be home from school most days by 4:00. 

Would an evening program be a possibility for you?  That might give you the best of both worlds - if your dh has the flexibility to be home.

One good thing about being gone from your baby is that you will really appreciate the time you get to spend with him, but I know you will still be :'(.

pine2007

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2008, 11:44:42 PM »
i have the same situation;

last month i just bought a house and we have a 6 months' baby; it's hard for me to study and work at the same time---pay mortgage,pay other bills/ plus, pay the damn tuition---it's hard,what can we do ?  just do it