Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: OCI #'s = Job #'s???  (Read 248 times)

difinity

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
OCI #'s = Job #'s???
« on: February 22, 2008, 12:31:46 PM »
Part of my evaluative process has been looking at the number of OCI employers and the number of OCI employers who have an IP specialty.  (Basically counting the number that NALP comes up with.)  Do you think this is a valid way to evaluate the career prospects of a potential law school?  I'm talking about T2 schools, not T14.  It seems intuitive to me that if they're recruiting on campus its because they have an interest in hiring so ... Any thoughts?
160 / ~3

CLS2009Student

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: OCI #'s = Job #'s???
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2008, 01:00:49 PM »
Part of my evaluative process has been looking at the number of OCI employers and the number of OCI employers who have an IP specialty.  (Basically counting the number that NALP comes up with.)  Do you think this is a valid way to evaluate the career prospects of a potential law school?  I'm talking about T2 schools, not T14.  It seems intuitive to me that if they're recruiting on campus its because they have an interest in hiring so ... Any thoughts?

I think you're right that this could be some indication, but take it with a grain of salt.  There could be many reasons for the difference, including level of interest among each school's students, the number of firms in the city, the size of the school body, the number of attorneys each firm is hiring, etc.  Moreover, some people (especially outside of the top schools) get jobs outside of OCI.  With those caveats, it could be a roughly useful thing to look at!