Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Pepperdine Student Taking Any Questions  (Read 8409 times)

ForMartha

• View Profile
Re: Pepperdine Student Taking Any Questions
« Reply #50 on: March 31, 2008, 04:31:05 PM »
Hi, I recently was admitted to Pepperdine law, and while it is one of my top choices, i am yet undecided, and perhaps hesitant to choose Pepperdine.  You see, I am a minority student and was shocked to discover how *white* Pepperdine was compared to SW or Loyola, when i visited.  I mean even though diversity shouldn't matter much, it does to me personally, especially coming from UCLA.  I also noticed that US NEWS has a diversity rankings, and every Los Angeles school is in that ranking system, including Loyola, SW, UCLA, USC except for Pepperdine.  Does Pepperdine not care about diversity?  This really worries me.  I'd really like to hear your perspective on this, thanks!

ForMartha

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 31, 2008, 04:33:49 PM »
Hi, I recently was admitted to Pepperdine law, and while it is one of my top choices, i am yet undecided, and perhaps hesitant to choose Pepperdine.  You see, I am a minority student and was shocked to discover how *white* Pepperdine was compared to SW or Loyola, when i visited.  I mean even though diversity shouldn't matter much, it does to me personally, especially coming from UCLA.  I also noticed that US NEWS has a diversity rankings, and every Los Angeles school is in that ranking system, including Loyola, SW, UCLA, USC except for Pepperdine.  Does Pepperdine not care about diversity?  This really worries me.  I'd really like to hear your perspective on this, thanks!

tfrunnerxc

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 02, 2008, 10:22:16 AM »
What do you know about entertainment law at Pepperdine?  Do they have good connections with the industry?

waves

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 02, 2008, 04:01:30 PM »
I believe the entrepreneurship program has events dealing with entertainment law such as this one:

The Pepperdine University School of Law and the Geoffrey H. Palmer Center for Entrepreneurship present Legal Representatives in Television: Entertainment Lawyers and Agents.

nhutchin

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #54 on: April 07, 2008, 03:43:12 AM »
First off I would like to apologize for taking so long to respond to your questions.  Last week was a particularly busy week for me.  As far is diversity goes Pepperdine is actually above the national average for law schools the national average is 15% and Pepperdine is 17%.  I will admit this is a shamefully small percentage of students, but this is something that Pepperdine has actively been trying to change over the past few years.  Pepperdine has been trying to recruit minority students and has setup many programs to talk to both high schools and colleges with high minority populations in order to increase these students’ interests in Pepperdine.  They also offer a large amount of diversity scholarship money to try and encourage these students to come to Pepperdine and make sure that money is not the reason that they are not coming to Pepperdine.  They actually have a staff member, Burton Rojas, an alum who works to recruit and talk with students from diverse backgrounds that are interested in Pepperdine.  If I were you I would not be at all worried about Pepperdine as far as the diversity aspect goes.  We do have students of diverse backgrounds and Pepperdine is such a welcoming community that you really have nothing to worry about.  We also have several different student organizations for minority students that have strong support groups and if you would like I will try and put you in touch with whichever group you would like to be in contact with.  We also have professors from various different backgrounds as well.

As far as entertainment law goes Pepperdine does have good connections and opportunities for those wishing to go into the industry.  We have some classes dealing with entertainment law such as Media and the Law (which is actually taught by Roger Cusack (I think that is how you spell his name) who is the person who gives all of the legal commentary for ESPN when there is a legal sports issue).  The career development office also knows several people and alumni who they can put you in contact with if you wish to go into the industry.  Career Development helped to put on an Entertainment Law Career day with the other schools in the LA area and they also put on their own panel that was a great networking opportunity and where someone who worked on Lost and someone who worked on 4400 spoke.  The career development office also helped to place students last summer in jobs at Miramax, universal, and Warner Brothers (just to name a few).  We also have a Sport and Entertainment Law Society that puts on different events throughout the year, with speakers to network with and information about how to get jobs in the industry.  Pepperdine is definitely a good place to go to school if you are interested in the entertainment industry.

craigy72

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 07, 2008, 02:41:02 PM »
Has anyone heard of some sort of gentlemen's code of honor between law schools in the same area/city that inhibits students from transferring to a higher ranked school (i.e. From Pepperdine to USC/UCLA)? I recently spoke with a Pepperdine Alum who told me of this when I mentioned that I was hoping to transfer after my first year...Apparently it is very very difficult to "transfer up" in the same region. My hope is to do well enough at Pepperdine to be able to transfer to UCLA and save $$$ on the in-state tuition. Any thoughts?

nhutchin

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #56 on: April 07, 2008, 04:46:50 PM »
I have never heard of this.  I know some people that have transferred, but if you get to be in a place where you are high enough to transfer you will most likely (almost definitely) get a scholarship because Pepperdine rewards students that do well.  Also I think there a lot of people that plan on transferring when they come to Pepperdine because they have aspirations of going to a higher ranked school, but when it comes down to it they really enjoy Pepperdine and decide they do not want to transfer.

sjg22

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 16, 2008, 05:29:47 PM »
Slightly different scenario for me: I am entering 3L at another school (actually, a Canadian school). I am looking at attending Pepperdine as a visiting student for the second semester of 3L as I used to live in Laguna and love SoCal. From what I can see, the school and campus sound great and I like Malibu.

However, I have a couple of questions/concerns:

1. While I am a Christian, I still enjoy having a few beers on Friday night. Is there a good social atmosphere at Pepperdine Law? In other words, are there Student Association sponsored pub or bar nights? If I threw out to a bunch of students the idea of grabbing a beer at a local bar on a Thursday night, would I be looked at like some sort of alcoholic leper? At my school, there is a weekly bar night that is well attended and there is a good crew of people that show up (ie. people that have more to talk about than law). Does this kind of thing happen at Pepperdine?

2. Academically, how challenging is 3L in the U.S.? I go to a very respected school in Canada (I have heard people say that it would probably lie in the 30s in the U.S. News Rankings) and, to be honest, I don't do a heck of a lot of work and I do just fine. The last thing I want to do is to attend as a visiting student and have to absolutely kill myself to get B's and B+'s (I have a BigLaw job lined up, so frankly grades aren't a big deal, as long as they're not bad).

In other words, I'm looking at this is a semi-vacation (although I know that I'll have to put the time in; it is law school) and so I don't want to arrive and find that it is incredibly rigourous and unsocial.

Thanks for answering these questions by the way; very helpful and nice of you.

nhutchin

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #58 on: June 17, 2008, 12:49:05 PM »
1. The short answer is that there is a very good social atmosphere at Pepperdine.  In general, while law school is of course competitive, Pepperdine students are pretty laid back and like to have a good time.  You will have plenty of people to go out and have a beer with.  While our student bar association does not officially sponsor bar nights, magically every week flyers show up in the law school advertising which bar everyone will be going to for what we call bar review at Pepperdine.  There is usually a good turnout.  Also if you want to go out on other nights of the week plenty of students will be more than willing to go out.  While Pepperdine has a no alcohol on campus policy, it by no means stops students from going out and having a drink.  Another popular thing to do is to go to a place called Duke's for Taco Tuesday during happy hour.  There are also a number of other events that are going on that you will hear about or things that groups of people plan.  The student bar association also holds the I survived the first week of law school party (which most people go to, not just 1Ls which is usually in a club somewhere in Hollywood) as well as the Barrister's Ball (which is more of a formal event (it was on a yacht this year).  The student bar association also puts on other social events (such as the dodgeball tournament) which do not include alcohol, but are a lot of fun!

2. Since I am not a third year I can't exactly say how difficult third year is going to be.  My impression is that the second semester of 3rd year is easier, but I don't have any first hand experience to back that up.  The required medians for upper division required courses are higher than they are for first year courses and they are even higher for upper division elective courses, so you may want to look into what you want to take beforehand and see what the medians are for those classes.  Also depending on what your school allows Pepperdine does allow some students to take some classes pass fail (so basically you can say if you get and A then you will take the grade and it will go into your grade point average, but if you get anything lower you will get a pass (unless you failed) so it does not affect your GPA).  In my experience (granted I just finished my first year which is supposed to be the hardest) there is a lot of work, but it is manageable and you still have time to go and have fun.

egosumcignus

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 18, 2008, 03:38:11 AM »
Hey nhutchin, my first post in...forever.  In response to the poster above, and to add my two cents to what nhutchin said, Pepperdine is incredibly social and friendly.  I've always said that you can gauge the tenor of an institution by whether or not people hold doors open for one another.  At Pepperdine, people go out of their way to hold the door open for the next person...routinely.  While that may seem like a silly indicator (the door thing), give it a whirl sometime and see if you think it's accurate.  It really goes to the heart of whether or not there's a culture of politeness, respectfulness, and mindfulness.  Anyway, Pepperdine SOL is a bastion in the wilderness of L.A. (lack of) manners (I have to laugh at myself as I write this, because I'm an L.A. native).  However, I digress (because it's late and I've been looking at statutes on Lexis for too long).  Social opportunities will be coming out your ears at Pepperdine.  People who don't drink (like myself) are actually a rarity here (and even those of us who don’t drink don’t look at those who do as alcoholic lepers…although we do use hand sanitizer after touching them…just kidding…just kidding…ha ha…at least I’m making myself laugh), and there are plenty of events where you can indulge in some social libation.  Additionally, people here at not clique-ish, so you can go to anything and feel welcome.  As for your other question, I'm in the same boat as nhutchin, so I can't offer any anecdotal info.  Good luck and I hope to see you here next year!