Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Pepperdine Student Taking Any Questions  (Read 8394 times)

credo

• Sr. Citizen
  • This life's a game; let's play for larger stakes.
    • View Profile
Re: Pepperdine Student Taking Any Questions
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2008, 05:45:57 PM »
Haha I love the Hastings-Pepperdine rivalry we've got going here. I'm going to have to wait until I get Hastings' offer, but what it might end up coming down to is how easy it's going to be to get an internship (Hastings is beating Pepperdine at that since I have no car and likely won't have one any time soon) and whether or not living in "The Tenderloin" over Malibu for the next three years is worth the extra hundred or so big law opportunities Hastings affords me.

This is shaping up to be a LOT tougher than I thought....=\

You dont have to live in the Tenderloin either. SF has great public transportation so its a snap getting to/from school if you live in one of the cleaner neighborhoods.

Unless you're a surfer, or they give you a full ride, theres no reason to take Pepperdine over Hastings

nhutchin

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2008, 08:49:51 PM »

[/quote]

You dont have to live in the Tenderloin either. SF has great public transportation so its a snap getting to/from school if you live in one of the cleaner neighborhoods.

Unless you're a surfer, or they give you a full ride, theres no reason to take Pepperdine over Hastings
[/quote]

How about the professor's actually care who you are as a person?  I personally think that is a pretty good reason!  You won't get that at Hastings!

credo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2008, 09:40:20 PM »

[/quote]

How about the professor's actually care who you are as a person?  I personally think that is a pretty good reason!  You won't get that at Hastings!
[/quote]

Thats certainly not true.  A bunch of my professors know me by name.  Ive had dinner at a couple of their houses.  Im having lunch with one next week.  They all have regular office hours and most everyone of them is willing to arrange other meeting times if you cant make it to office hours or will answer questions by email.

The school and students orgs put on a ton of events here that the faculty attend.  One of the more popular ones is a karaoke night at a local bar that always features several professors signing.  Ive also sat in the lounge of the apartment building here and watched basketball with one of the more high profile profs.

The faculty are very accommodating when it comes to advising on notes and sponsoring independent study projects. They will also help with clerkships. 

There are tons of small seminar classes, Ive got one this semester with 6 students in it.  Also the wide array of clinical and practical skills courses give you tons of face time with adjunct professors who are currently practicing attorneys and judges. 

So to say you miss out on faculty interaction at Hastings is simply untrue.

thebiggdawg55

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2008, 12:26:56 AM »
Ah yes, the spirit of competition. I honestly think both schools are great, and I doubt that professor-student interaction would be a concern at either.

Anyhow, back to Pepperdine; I'll ask you the same question I asked Mr. Credo and the Hastings gang:

What are the actual classrooms like? Is everything pretty modern or is it all ancient? Is there wifi everywhere, modern library, new computers, etc.? What about libraray resources?
UC Hastings Class of 2011 !!!!

credo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2008, 05:48:08 AM »
Ah yes, the spirit of competition. I honestly think both schools are great, and I doubt that professor-student interaction would be a concern at either.

Anyhow, back to Pepperdine; I'll ask you the same question I asked Mr. Credo and the Hastings gang:

What are the actual classrooms like? Is everything pretty modern or is it all ancient? Is there wifi everywhere, modern library, new computers, etc.? What about libraray resources?

Tell you what: I'll put you in touch with a current Michigan St.'06/Hastings 2L if that'll help you make the decision. 

Thats how much we want you.

nhutchin

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2008, 12:44:20 PM »
I am glad to hear that there is contact with the Professors at Hastings because I have to admit none of my friends that have gone there have felt that way and that was certainly not my impression when I visited the school.  The type of interation that was being talked about as far as Hastings goes was not quite what I was talking about when I said getting to know your professors.  I was referring to more that your standard professor office hours and meeting with professors when you request an appointment.  I know all of my professors personally.  They are in their offices for hours more than their actual scheduled office hours.  I can go up to their offices anytime I want and chat with at least one of my professors about anything not just class or law school.  I also have their home phone numbers and most of their cell phone numbers.  One of my professors was out of town and he sent a postcard to each person in my first year section (all 76 of us).  They make it very clear that they are here for us and that we are their number one priority.  Going out to lunch with them or doing to their house for dinner is not a rare occasion.  In fact there are several teachers that have students over to their house once a week.  This goes beyond just out professors, but also to the administration.  The Deans also have students to their houses for dinner (including Dean Starr who has students over several times a semester).  The Deans know the student's names.  Our dean of student affairs, learnt every single person in the first years names, where they were from, where they went to undergrad, and one other thing about them.  Our professors and deans participate in intermural sports with our students.  They also play in the annual dodgeball tournament.  So I wasn't talking about normal professor interaction, I was talking about above average professor interaction, where your Professors actually become friends with you and you keep in close contact with them after graduation.

Now to respond to biggame's post.
The actual classrooms are fine.  Unfortuntely they do not have windows so you cannot stare out the window at the ocean during class, but they are nice.  There is wifi everywhere including the patio outside the cafeteria so you can sit outside and use the interenet.  The classrooms are also very well equiped with outlets to plug in your laptop.  There is an outlet about every two seats and so everyone can plug in their laptops at the same time.  All of our class rooms are equipped for teachers to be able to use powerpoint presentations.  There are plans to actually revamp the classrooms even more, but I am not sure exactly when the school is planning on doing that.  The building is only thirty years old so it is not ancient by any means.  The library pretty modern.  The tables have outlets built into them so that you can plug in your laptop.  There are plenty of windows with great ocean views in the library.  There are also several new comfy chairs to sit in if you do not want to sit at a table.  We also have a new flat screen tv in the library that is mainly used for announcements and what not (these are scattered around the law school).  The computers in the library are pretty new, but they are not really used that much since most people use their laptops since you can print straight to the school computers from your laptop.  I know that we have 375,000 volumes in our library and in addition you of course have access to both Lexis and Westlaw as well as countless other online databases.  They did some work on our library last summer actually and installed those new shelves that are on electronic tracks so that they could fit additional volumes in.  Our library was also donated the largest collection of sources on Arbitration by the American Arbitration Association this year, and it is the largest collection of its kind.  Our library is three floors and there are tons of study rooms throughout the library that students can reserve to work in or to meet in study groups. From a non-academic point of view our library also has a substantial dvd collection.  That's all I can think of to tell you about our library at the moment, but if you can think of anything in particular that I did not mention feel free to ask!

thebiggdawg55

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2008, 11:42:51 PM »
Thanks for all the great info, nhutchin. It sounds like Pepperdine's campus is as modern as it is beautiful, and I really like that its small and intimate enough that you actually get to know your professors. My main concern now is going to be balancing that with possible career opportunities at Hastings. Looking at the NALP data, it seems like there's nearly three times as many big firms doing OCIs at Hastings as there are at Pepperdine, which is also really important to me. Also, the lack of a car is a big deal to me, esp. considering Malibu's remoteness. But man...Malibu.

And Credo, if you could put me in touch with that MSU alum, that'd be great. I'd love to hear their thoughts on the issue as well.

Thanks to both of you guys!

biggame

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2008, 12:27:21 PM »
I talked to a career service person at "unnamed" school who has a nephew going to Hastings right now. He is a 1L. For the past months he has been calling her asking for help in finding a summer job because he can't walk in to the career service office at Hastings and he had to set an appointment for weeks out. They have a class of like 400 from  what I understand so it just makes it incredibly difficult to get any personalized help. He even sent her his resume so she could help him out.

The Bay Area is just so saturated that even though there are so many places one could find summer employment it is very difficult for many reasons. Plus depending on where you are going to live while going to Hastings the commute on bart would be no fun either.

I leave for pepperdine tomorrow so I will let you know what I think about them later in the week. Tough decision though.

nhutchin

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2008, 07:18:06 PM »
I can tell you that that would never happen with the career people at Pepperdine.  In fact it is quite the opposite, you cannot avoid the Career Development people.  If you ask any first year most of them will tell you that sometimes we see more of them than we would like (even though it really is for our own good).

thebiggdawg55

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2008, 05:22:09 AM »
I know the bay area must be pretty saturated with law students (especially considering Stanford and Boalt are Hastings' main competition - yikes), I can't imagine SoCal being any better, especially with UCLA, USC, and Loyola (not to mention USD) all competing with Pepperdine students for those coveted jobs as well.