Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Pepperdine Student Taking Any Questions  (Read 8239 times)

nhutchin

• View Profile
    • Email
Pepperdine Student Taking Any Questions
« on: February 22, 2008, 04:13:55 AM »
If anyone has any questions about Pepperdine let me know! ;D

tankbrain

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Pepperdine Student Taking Any Questions
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2008, 08:33:46 AM »
If anyone has any questions about Pepperdine let me know! ;D

What is the weather like this month?
LSAT: 165
GPA:  3.4

CLS2009Student

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2008, 09:47:43 AM »
It is my understanding that Pepperdine gives out a very large number of generous scholarship offers, but a number of people "lose" them by not being near the top of the class after the first year.

Is this true?  Were you persuaded by a scholarship?  Did you find it difficult to keep it?

nhutchin

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2008, 04:25:38 PM »
The weather right now is pretty good.  It can get relatively cold at night time and by that I mean like 60.  Usually the winter it is usually about 70 during the day.  It does rain very occasionally.  The weather is great because it does not get quite as hot in the summer as the valley does because of the sea breeze.

As far as the scholarship thing goes they do give generous scholarships and it is also true that if you are not in the top 3rd of your class at the end of the year you will lose it (you have a whole year, you will not lose it if you are not in the top 3rd in the first semester).  That said if you can't get one to begin with if you do well you can get one after the first year.

KitsonKate

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2008, 02:52:24 PM »
How are the on campus graduate law student housing facilities there? Do most law students start out living there and do they like it?

ladivina

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2008, 04:54:48 PM »
Thanks for taking questions!  I just received my acceptance this week, so I have a lot!

1. I am an older student (will be 28) and have no interest in living on campus.  Can you tell me about off-campus housing.  Is it ridiculously expensive in Malibu?  Any areas that are cheaper, but commutable?

2. I like that Pepperdine is Christian is some ways, but I don't want feel bombarded by religion. Is it pervasive? I am also a liberal democrat and was wondering if there is a liberal voice on the campus or if it is pretty conservative?

3. I am interested in international law.  Can you tell me any specifics about special programs Pepperdine may have?  What about the London program...do people do it often?

I think that's all for now...I'll post more if I think of them.  Thanks so much!
University of Denver 1L!
_____________________________ ________________
"Non tutta la frutta fa maturare"

nhutchin

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2008, 03:47:51 AM »
First off the on-campus housing is pretty nice.  They are typically four bedroom apartments, so you get your own room and then they have a bathroom, kitchen and living room that you share with the other three people.  There is only one bathroom but it is relatively large.  The bedrooms themselves are pretty small, but the beds raise up so that you can put stuff under them if you have a lot of stuff.  Also the desks are pretty large so that you can fit all of yourself.  A large number of first years do live on campus because it is directly across the street from the law school.  Because there are a lot of first years there is a good social atmosphere within the on campus housing. On thing I will note though is that you are not allowed to have any alcohol on campus since it is a dry campus so if you want to be able to drink in your apartment I would suggest not living on campus because they are relatively strict about this.  I am actually from the area so I live at home, but my friends that live on campus really like it.  The only downside is that you are always on campus then and sometimes people just want to get away from campus after they have been studying for a long time.

Now with off-campus housing you have a pretty wide selection of where you can live.  Malibu housing can get very expensive, that being said there are some cheaper options in Malibu and not to far away.  I know that Colleen in the admissions office (whose number you should have gotten with your acceptance letter) has a list of cheap listings in Malibu with people that specifically want a law student as a tenant.  Some of these are guest houses or might even be a room in someone's house, but there are also some apartments.  There are some that can be very cheap for Malibu (around $500 per month), but then there is also housing that can be a lot more expensive.  Another alternative I like to suggest is living in Calabasas.  This is a very popular town for people to live in off campus.  It is cheaper than Malibu, but it is still a really nice area to live in and is only 15 mins from campus.  Calabasas is a relatively quiet city and thus I think it makes a good place to live without too many distractions from lawschool.  I would look at the Archstone Apartments in Calabasas because I know some students that live there and really like it.  Also if you want a little bit cheaper than that, but also a little farther away you can try Westlake or Agoura.  In a slightly different direction you have Santa Monica which is also a popular place to live.  I am not exactly sure about the prices there but this is a better place to live if you want to be somewhere that is a little bit more exciting and has a lot going on.

Now for the religion question.  Pepperdine is Christian, but they do not try and push their religion on you.  If you want to participate in religious activities or take upperdivision classes that are centered more on religion you can.  That being said I would say that our first year classes are probably also very much like any law school where we are learning the law and not being indoctrinated.  I think the biggest aspect of their Christian faith that comes out is the fact that they are very service orientated and offer a lot of community service opportunities.

As far as the political aspect goes, I am not going to lie it is more conservative then most places.  That being said I happen to be a very liberal democrat and I am not the only one.  The law school is a lot less conservative than the undergrad.  There is a liberal voice on campus I actually happen to be the treasurer of the democratic law society which is our version of College Democrats.  We also have some liberal speakers come, as opposed to just the conservative speakers.  I know that Ruth Bader Ginsburg came and spoke a few years ago and Alan Dershowitz came to speak this year.  As far as the faculty goes, they are actually about 50/50 democrat and republican.  In fact all of my first year teachers except maybe one are democrats.  So you will not be alone that is for sure and there will probably be a couple of times when you want to pull out your hair with some of the things that people say, but it is definitely not as bad as people say it is.

Lastly, as far as international law goes there are a couple of things that I can tell you about some of the things that Pepperdine does.  They actually had a special panel this year of International Lawyers who talked with students about what they did and so that students had a chance to network with them.  As far as study abroad programs go we actually have a few different ones.  There are straight exhange programs with a University in Copenhagen and then one in Ausburg, Germany.  We also have these study tour programs that are two week intensive courses that you get two units for that are done through the Straus Institute, our Dispute Resolution Program.  They have one that goes to London and Geneva and one that goes to Hong Kong and Bejing.  Our London program is by far our most popular and extensive program.  Pepperdine has been running the program for 25 years and they have their own house that it is run out.  It is just south of Hyde Park if you are familiar with London.  We have both a six week summer program and a program for the full fall semester.  We usually have 50 students go to each session of the London program since it is so popular.  They teach core classes there so that you will not get behind as well as specialized international law classes.  The core classes are taught by Pepperdine Professors and then the other courses are taught by experts in the field.  A couple examples of courses that they teach that are international law related are European Union Law and International Commercial Arbitration.  The good thing about the fall program is that they will help you set up an internship while you are there so that you can actually get experience working in a foreign country (unfortunately due to a change in UK visa laws this year this option is no longer available during the summer).  Also the fall program goes on trips to visit the Hague and the students get to watch the war crimes tribunals.  While you are there you also get to interact with barristers from a couple of the Inns of Court and we even have moot court competitions against them.  The classes are generally scheduled on Tues-Thurs so that students can have the weekend to travel.

I tried to answer your questions as fully as possible, but if I missed something out let me know and I will try to answer it.  Also if you have any other questions feel free to ask away.  I am also sorry if there are a lot of typos, but I am a little tired from working on my Appellate Brief assignment.

thebiggdawg55

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2008, 07:46:34 AM »
Hey, first of all let me say THANK YOU for taking time to answer questions for us about Pepperdine. I'm kind of surprised nobody from the admissions office or the school has made an offer to talk to me about the school, especially since I got in almost a month ago (by comparison, most of the other schools I've gotten into have made such offers repeatedly).

Anyways, ladivina echoed most of my questions, and you've been really helpful in answering my questions regarding big law firms hiring from Pepperdine, I guess I've got maybe one or two more questions:

1. What's the campus environment like? Are most students pretty friendly and outgoing, or is it more of a "everybody keep to themselves", super-competitive environment? Do you think it will be really difficult to maintain a position in the top third of the class? Also, are professors generally friendly and helpful to students outside of class? How many students (if any) get summer internships after their first year? When do students usually do the London study abroad program (i.e. fall/summer of 2nd year?) How is Malibu as a city? I'm not sure how far it is from LA, but is there plenty of stuff to do in Malibu itself?

I know this sounds like a lot of stuff, and most of it seems trivial, but as I am in Australia right now it's impossible for me to visit the campus like I should, so I'm really counting on word of mouth from people to make my decision. Thanks again for your help!
UC Hastings Class of 2011 !!!!

ladivina

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2008, 12:05:19 PM »
Thank you so much for the info! It is so nice of you to take your time to help out confused 0Ls! I think that Pepperdine's interational opportunities sound great, and I am not too concerned about the Christian thing (since I am one), but I don't want to be surrounded by neo-cons either.  It sounds relatively moderate, which is good. 

I guess I just can't decide if I can handle to cost of living in Cali.  I'm in Denver now and I can buy a place out here, where I couldn't for a long time out west.  Anyway, thanks again...lots to think about!
University of Denver 1L!
_____________________________ ________________
"Non tutta la frutta fa maturare"

biggame

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2008, 06:35:04 PM »
I will be going down next week to visit campus and I am excited for that. I have actually been there before but never as a tour of the entire campus nor the law school. The major question I have is about employment summers/upon graduating. Where have some of your classmates worked? About how many students get OCI's? Do you know of any students who have gone on to work in northern california? How has the career services offices helped you to find employment? Thanks for answering.