Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Penn State/Villanova/Temple/ Widener ??????? HELP!  (Read 1089 times)

TimBeConfused

• Enforcing the Guarantee!!!
    • View Profile
Penn State/Villanova/Temple/ Widener ??????? HELP!
« on: February 22, 2008, 03:46:47 AM »
Hey everyone.  I am new to this board but I am of the opinion that you can never have too few opinions so I was hoping some of you might be willing to lend some perspective on the PA schools I am considering.

Having recently visited Penn State, Villanova and Temple I am left with the feeling that I can't really make a very poor decision with respect to my legal education (I'm sure someone will tell me how wrong I am about that).

My feeling at this point is that I'd like to steer clear of firm jobs and look towards a gov't job of some sort at the federal, state or local level although I would like to leave the door open to law firm possibilities when making my choice.

Penn State offered me $20,000 a year and only $5,000 is conditioned on being in the top 50% the rest is without condition.  I've read a few posts where people mentioned that Penn State is throwing money at people, obviously I could be an obvious manifestation of that however at $20,000 a year am I getting a good value based on future job prospects?

Villanova
seemed like an good school, the class I sat in on was very good the professor was nice enough to talk to me after class.  I know it is pricier and it may well be out of consideration depending on how much need based aid they think I am worth.  Is it worth inquiring about a scholarship this late or anything?  Like Penn State they are constructing a new law building, their current one was decent but felt like a high school somewhat.  The area around Villanova is the big draw in that it is much safer than my next choice!

Temple seems to be everyones favorite as far as having the best T2 reputation in Philly.  They seemed to have a very solid school, the professor I met was very down to earth which was a pleasant surprise.  However from a safety perspective while I was visiting there was a shooting in the subway station just a few blocks away from campus!  Plus I will admit to being somewhat of a city-phobe I am unsure of attending a school in such a dangerous area of the city even with the in-state tuition discount!( Some members family would surely have a heart attack if I decided to go to Temple)
Edit:
I qualify for in-state tuition at Temple

Finally, I have a tempting offer from Widener a T4 in Harrisburg.  They offered me full tuition plus 5k/yr for living expenses.  The idea of being paid to go to a school is quite alluring.  In addition Widener seems to have a decent local reputation despite its T4 status.  Obviously the job prospects would not be as good, nor would the prestige be as high but I feel as though there would be jobs in gov't available to Widener-Harrisburg students.

I appreciate any light anyone can shed on the great many issues/schools I discussed!  Thank you for any input!
If the present Congress errs in too much talking, how can it be otherwise in a body to which the people send one hundred and fifty lawyers, whose trade it is to question everything, yield nothing, and talk by the hour? ~ Thomas Jefferson

TimBeConfused

• View Profile
Re: Penn State/Villanova/Temple/ Widener ??????? HELP!
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2008, 10:25:23 AM »
Just wanted to BUMP for a little advice! 
If the present Congress errs in too much talking, how can it be otherwise in a body to which the people send one hundred and fifty lawyers, whose trade it is to question everything, yield nothing, and talk by the hour? ~ Thomas Jefferson

kcf

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2008, 11:13:03 AM »
I think if I were you I would at least eliminate 'Nova. (Unless you're independently wealthy.) Seems like you'll be paying a LOT more for an equal-at-best education.

The other three all seem to have their pluses - note that the Temple campus itself is not unsafe, and there are plenty of safe areas to live in Philadelphia that are not too far from campus.
163/3.77
IN: Minnesota

WL: UCLA

PENDING: Indiana

TimBeConfused

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2008, 11:30:16 AM »
Having not yet received my financial aid makes it a more difficult decision to eliminate Villanova if in the end I the aid I receive makes the costs about the same.  I am hoping to qualify for some need based grant aid at all of the schools, my personal and family financial situation should presumably warrant such consideration.

latinlord

• Sr. Citizen
  • ME... Litigating at the Indiana State Court house!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - latinlord
    • View Profile
    • myspace profile, "come and say hello"
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2008, 11:38:11 AM »
Hello!!

You need to ask yourself some questions!!! Where do you want to live??? In philly?? or in a suburb??  

It seems like the biggest concerns of yours is location and $$. Penn state gave u a decent scholarship,
So did Widener... See if you can get anything at temple. You can get a job at any of those places. Seeing that you want to do gov work you have a great bunch of choices. Since you dont' liek the city, and if Nova won't give you any more money, i'd go with Widener or Penn state. Which location is closer to where you want to practice?? Choose that one! Also if Temple gives you money you could always live outside the city and commute for about 30min.

Good luck on your decision.. Please PM if you have any questions and to let me know what you decide!!... Ciao
Graduated from Indiana Law - Indianapolis!!
Was a 3rd year Visiting Student at Villanova University School of Law.
Graduated from Temple University Beasley School of Law - LL.M in Trial Advocacy Candidate 2010
 Published by Chicano/Latino Law Review of UCLA LAW. & I'm a Licensed Esq. NOW!

Sergio

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2008, 12:59:55 PM »
I dunno about attending a T4.  I personally would be wary.  But I can see it would be tempting.

TimBeConfused

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2008, 01:15:20 PM »
Right, it definitely is tempting to have little to no law school debt.  Widener actually appears to have a fairly good local reputation in the Philly, Delaware and then Harrisburg areas from what I've heard anecdotally.  However they actually have a hard C curve and I need to maintain a 3.0 average or better to hold the scholarship money.  Penn State basically has no string attached to most of the scholarship money they are offering me.

I am a bit wary of Widener but I am also wary of taking on any debt in the purportedly bad legal job market. 

latinlord

• Sr. Citizen
  • ME... Litigating at the Indiana State Court house!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - latinlord
    • View Profile
    • myspace profile, "come and say hello"
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2008, 01:34:46 PM »
Right, it definitely is tempting to have little to no law school debt.  Widener actually appears to have a fairly good local reputation in the Philly, Delaware and then Harrisburg areas from what I've heard anecdotally.  However they actually have a hard C curve and I need to maintain a 3.0 average or better to hold the scholarship money.  Penn State basically has no string attached to most of the scholarship money they are offering me.

I am a bit wary of Widener but I am also wary of taking on any debt in the purportedly bad legal job market. 

CAll Widener and ask them to get rid of the GPA requirement or lower it to around a 2.0 or maybe 2.3. I know their curve is a 2.3 to 2.7(C+ to B-) I think they might do it for you. If they don't... Then seriously consider going to Penn State since they dont' have any requirements. Widener has a really good rep in those areas but that GPA requirment is a bit high. Ask them and even sound a little demanding and I think they will work with you. It doesn't hurt to ask!!
  I wouldn't worry about getting a job comming out of widener in the area since they do have a decent rep, but the gpa requirement is a bit risky although you are comming into the school with strong standing potential, You never know.
Graduated from Indiana Law - Indianapolis!!
Was a 3rd year Visiting Student at Villanova University School of Law.
Graduated from Temple University Beasley School of Law - LL.M in Trial Advocacy Candidate 2010
 Published by Chicano/Latino Law Review of UCLA LAW. & I'm a Licensed Esq. NOW!

stewie griffin

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2008, 01:39:00 PM »
Without even thinking about it, I'd go to Temple if I were you.  It's got the best reputation of that bunch, and it's super affordable - as law schools go.  Easily the best choice you could make, I think.
Temple University Beasley School of Law 2011

you fine american.

Final record: 5-1-4

UnbiasedObserver

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2008, 01:41:25 PM »
I'd go with Temple of PSU, if I were you.

I had a lawyer tell me that whatever I do, DON'T go to Widener (I am from that area.).  He said the legal profession is largely prestige-driven, and the first thing they consider is the law school.

Also, as people stated, the curve isn't gentle.

Now, which campus are you accepted to for PSU?  If it's Carlisle, that's very close to Harrisburg, where there will be many govt. jobs available.  That's something you should consider.