Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Where to go for IP law? Georgetown, GWU, or BU?  (Read 3744 times)

TraciRai

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Where to go for IP law? Georgetown, GWU, or BU?
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2008, 11:53:11 AM »
if that is the case i would pick Boston which is a great school and will open the whole northeast up for you

??? this is for *IP*

looking at the 3 largest IP practices in the NE:

1) New York City
  A) Kenyon & Kenyon LLP:
     GW attnys: 21; BU attnys: 12

B) Fitzpatrick Cella:
     GW attnys: 8, BU attnys: 4

2) Washington D.C.
  A) Finnegan Henderson:
     GW attnys: 41, BU attnys: 1

Oh yes, specifically looking at IP, Boston would be a stupid decision over GW.

wustl3l

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2008, 12:21:58 PM »
I will be doing some soft IP work in my practice and took a good amount of IP classes and I can tell you to just go to the place that will get you in front of the most firms with your desired practice in your desired area, especially given your credentials.

The classes are interesting and good conversation fodder but in the end, for patent-types, the firms really just care what kind of science background you have, your school's reputation, and then rank. Specialty rankings are b.s., IMO, at least as they relate to creating job interviews. This is the case with most specialty fields of law.

GW3L

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2008, 05:24:47 PM »
I will be doing some soft IP work in my practice and took a good amount of IP classes and I can tell you to just go to the place that will get you in front of the most firms with your desired practice in your desired area, especially given your credentials.

The classes are interesting and good conversation fodder but in the end, for patent-types, the firms really just care what kind of science background you have, your school's reputation, and then rank. Specialty rankings are b.s., IMO, at least as they relate to creating job interviews. This is the case with most specialty fields of law.

well that's generally true but GW's specialty ranking translates into a massive alumni base that is not matched - this is an intangible that matters, imho