Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Where to go for IP law? Georgetown, GWU, or BU?  (Read 3848 times)

klumpr

• View Profile
Where to go for IP law? Georgetown, GWU, or BU?
« on: February 21, 2008, 11:35:56 PM »
Perhaps beating a dead horse here, but could use some input. I've gotten into George Washington (Among the top IP programs), Boston University (good IP program) and Georgetown Part-time. If I plan on doing IP law in California, which of these options is my best bet? I've read that IP rankings don't matter too much, which would seem to mean that I should go to Georgetown, but would it be worth another year in school? And if not, Boston U. seems to have better "Career Prospects" according to Princeton Review as well as a good IP program also so that seems like another good option. Any input would be MUCH appreciated.

Thanks!

LuvHurtz

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Where to go for IP law? Georgetown, GWU, or BU?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2008, 10:43:34 AM »
Since you want to practice in California, Georgetown seems like your best bet. Gw and BU don't place as well on the west coast.

bruinbro

• Sr. Citizen
  • B-Blitz
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2008, 12:08:41 PM »
I am certainly biased, but GW has an awesome IP program
In: Case Western ($$), IU-B ($$), USD ($$), Pitt ($$), Iowa, Wisconsin , George Mason ($), Loyola-LA ($$), UC-Davis, UIUC ($), American, Tulane ($$),GW
Out: Notre Dame,BC,WUSTL,Cornell,W&L

TraciRai

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2008, 12:58:20 PM »
I'm also biased, I believe either GW's great IP program or Georgetown's generally portability will serve you well in looking for a job in California... While the arguments for either of those make it a tough call, BU is clearly a distant third.

GW3L

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2008, 11:59:52 AM »
it depends upon the type of IP law that you're looking to get into:

1) (c) or TM: GT without a question

2) Patent litigation [and you are coming from a non-science background]: def GT - why? Pure litigators in the patent field need to supplement the fact that they are coming from non-scientific backgrounds with t14 credentials.

3) Patent litigation / patent prosecution [coming from a hard science / engineering background]: if you're qualified to sit for the patent bar, GW would be a very solid choice for you. There are several reasons for this: 1) over 50% of the practicing patent attorneys in this country are GW educated. IP boutique firms and GP firms with respectable IP practices are full of GW alumn. Many are prosecutors; many are litigators - the vast majority come from some sort of scientific background. Given that you have the requisite credentials, this is teh sort of alumni base that cannot be matched elsewhere. This network places our IP-qualified students in large firms from LA to FL to NY. 2) Given GW's reputation for strong IP, we attract many of country's top teachers. For example, Judge Rader of the CAFC (soon to be Chief Justice Rader of the CAFC) teaches numerous patent law courses at GW. Another excellent example is Donald Dunner (name partner of Finnegan, Henderson, Farabow, Garrett & Dunner, L.L.P (one of the country's more elite IP firms); Dunner himself is known to be one of the best litigators in the field; is a GT alumn who chooses to teach at GW due to strength of the IP program) teaches a course. Numerous other high profile individuals teach here. If you know that you're dead set on IP, it's difficult to beat this type of scenario: "Hi, my name is so and so, I have a BS and MS in electrical engineering, I attend a t20 law school with the #3 IP program, and last semester I took courses with both Judge Rader and Donald Dunner." You are, at that point, an extremely marketable individual. One of my EE buddies had 8 biglaw offers by late September - results like that are hard to beat [for example, a friend of mine at GT (~top 35%), who was looking to get into non-IP biglaw, had one call back by Oct - this engineering kid had 8 offers by Sept).

Go to BU if you're in love with Boston, otherwise it really shouldn't be a consideration at this point. And honestly, you can't go wrong with GT. It's a degree that will certainly grant you enhanced flexibility in almost every capacity. If you're dead set on patent law thougrh, and have the credentials to back it up, GW wouldn't be a forehead slapping decision (esp if they have given you some money to think about) ...

EDIT: sorry, I forgot the fact that you have been admitted to GT PT. Since you have been admitted to the PT program, I am going to make (the relatively safe) assumption that you are not going to receive any money from GW. All the same, you have this consideration: if you attend at PT, either you 1) transfer to FT or 2) graduate in 4 years. If you tranfer to FT, you will only graduate in 3 years if you take a heavy summer load. This means that you will not have the opportunity to become a summer associate. If you don't summer, this means that you will not have a concrete job offer until post-graduation (not a friendly propsect when you consider that the vast majority of the better firms generally only hire summers [it's tough finding employment as a 3L (though not impossible)]. If you remain part time and graduate in 4, which, given teh circumstances, would be teh smart thing to do (or if you switch to FT and still graduate in 3.5), you have paid a considerable sum to do so. In other words, you will push back you starting time at a firm by .5 to 1 year. When starting salary is 160k + 25k bonus (on average), well... you do the math. Anyway - just another consideration! Good luck with the decision ;)

Lenny

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2008, 01:46:26 PM »
I openly despise GW, and even I would recommend GW here unless Gtown is guaranteed to allow you to get into the full-time program.  Your undergrad, masters, and work experience will more than compensate for the difference between GW and Gtown.  If you come out of GW with even a middling GPA, you will have no problem doing IP work in Cali because of your other qualifications.  Going full time is crucial due to its implications on summer emplyment.

plex

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2008, 03:21:46 AM »
Also keep in mind, going part-time does not mean you necessarily won't be picking up experience, there are definitely firms that would be interested in letting you work part-time as a clerk while also taking classes. That is the route I am going myself.

It is a trade-off between making more $ and getting more experience, while at the same time, having to juggle two major sets of responsibilities and graduating 1/2 a year to 1 year later than the full time setup. The summer associate path is less $ during those 3 years, but you start a little sooner, making up for the less $ earlier, BUT there is no way you will have picked up as much experience just doing summer associate jobs.

Depends on if you can take it.

As much as I like to jab people like wiimote about how non-T14 people with IP backgrounds can easily make it into Biglaw, IP really is the exception to the rule for all the other law students. They have my sympathies  :'(, but the general law market is just a totally different beast, general law is completely flooded.

thelawman

• View Profile
    • numbers
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2008, 01:22:47 AM »
i would pick Georgetown unless you were adverse to the part time stipulation

if that is the case i would pick Boston which is a great school and will open the whole northeast up for you

TraciRai

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2008, 09:22:33 AM »
GW wouldn't up the whole northeast?

GW is good for the NE.  I suppose you could argue that Boston schools would be better for NE, but GW is also good there.

GW3L

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2008, 11:39:13 AM »
if that is the case i would pick Boston which is a great school and will open the whole northeast up for you

??? this is for *IP*

looking at the 3 largest IP practices in the NE:

1) New York City
  A) Kenyon & Kenyon LLP:
     GW attnys: 21; BU attnys: 12

B) Fitzpatrick Cella:
     GW attnys: 8, BU attnys: 4

2) Washington D.C.
  A) Finnegan Henderson:
     GW attnys: 41, BU attnys: 1