Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Help, I need to ask for more money!  (Read 2076 times)

SMO

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Help, I need to ask for more money!
« on: February 21, 2008, 07:32:47 PM »
I was just offered a decent scholarship, however my debt load is still very high. I have no other offers or anything really to negotiate with, just that I can't afford to go w/o more money! Any advice? I plan on working in public interest and don't see myself making more than maybe 40-50k a year. What to do.....how do I get more money from the school? I'm not sure I should even go anymore!

siski

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Help, I need to ask for more money!
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2008, 11:26:30 AM »
Does the school have a Loan Repayment Assistance Program? Also, if you are planning on working public interest, there's that new federal law that will help you pay back your loans. I think you'll find that even with taking on a large debt load, you will be able to pay it back with assistance if you're working in PI.

Cloggie

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2008, 01:09:03 PM »
Yes, the Federal Student Debt Reduction Act can help a lot with this.  Equal Justice Works has a great overview about this on their website. 

However...if the thought of debt is making you reconsider law school, then maybe law school isn't for you.  Just because you can go, doesn't mean you should.  I've worked a few years in the legal world and have met a number of BRILLIANT and WONDERFUL people who should have NEVER gone to law school.  There are so many other ways to make the world a better place without $100k+ of debt.   

Cloggie

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2008, 01:12:16 PM »
Yes, the Federal Student Debt Reduction Act can help a lot with this.  Equal Justice Works has a great overview about this on their website. 

However...if the thought of debt is making you reconsider law school, then maybe law school isn't for you.  Just because you can go, doesn't mean you should.  I've worked a few years in the legal world and have met a number of BRILLIANT and WONDERFUL people who should have NEVER gone to law school.  There are so many other ways to make the world a better place without $100k+ of debt.