Law School Discussion

GW money begins!

Re: GW money begins!
« Reply #60 on: February 25, 2008, 04:10:03 PM »
well, I hope those of you who doubt the postal service are right!  Maybe I'll get something in the mail in the next couple of days.

tkm.

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 25, 2008, 04:10:32 PM »
same offer  :-\

t L

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 25, 2008, 05:25:50 PM »

My feelings exactly.  I wish they had the same offers as last year.  This probably puts GW out of the running for me.

Contingent awards? If so, I'm not at all surprised...

Half tuition and you must keep a 3.0 .  I don't know how hard that is, but it doesn't seem like something worth risking.

The paragraph about offers from other schools seems promising though.  I will be e-mailing Dean Richard.

Jets

• At least the Pats missed the playoffs...
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 25, 2008, 06:42:10 PM »

My feelings exactly.  I wish they had the same offers as last year.  This probably puts GW out of the running for me.

Contingent awards? If so, I'm not at all surprised...

Half tuition and you must keep a 3.0 .  I don't know how hard that is, but it doesn't seem like something worth risking.

The paragraph about offers from other schools seems promising though.  I will be e-mailing Dean Richard.

So not even full tuition which falls to half if below 3.0? What about the housing? Is that included?

Keeping a 3.0 at GW is not hard at all. Curve's 3.2-3.3ish, and I believe that ~70% of the 1L class this year had between a 3.0-3.4 after fall grades. Bear in mind that 3.4ish is the cut-off for Top 35% meaning that, in all likelihood, only 5% of the class had below a 3.0.

I know such conditions are discomforting as a prospective law student who is choosing between accepting a scholarship and a higher ranked school, BUT I think they're important (at least for full scholarships) because 1) it's not really fair to guarantee money to people who may turn out to be (literally) the worst students at the school, 2) some people may be prompted to turn into such students by virtue of the fact that they're not investing anything (other than time) anyway.

jdr145

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 25, 2008, 07:42:27 PM »
yeah, just called home and I got the 20k/yr plus housing deal as well...sounds lovely, but not lovely enough, haha.

t L

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 25, 2008, 08:23:19 PM »

So not even full tuition which falls to half if below 3.0? What about the housing? Is that included?

No full tuition but first year free housing at the Aston and the faculty mentor.  It is a cool offer just not as much as I expected based off last year.

Keeping a 3.0 at GW is not hard at all. Curve's 3.2-3.3ish, and I believe that ~70% of the 1L class this year had between a 3.0-3.4 after fall grades. Bear in mind that 3.4ish is the cut-off for Top 35% meaning that, in all likelihood, only 5% of the class had below a 3.0.

This is good to know.  Thanks.

« Reply #66 on: February 25, 2008, 10:10:24 PM »
nothing here.  did people's offers go to their permanent address?

Jets

• At least the Pats missed the playoffs...
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 25, 2008, 10:11:22 PM »
I just got the offer for 20K + 1st year housing at the Aston.

While I'd love to live there, I'm not sure I'm allowed since my husband is tagging along. 

Any idea if they offer housing stipends to people in my situation instead?

They did for 1Ls this year...

jdr145

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 25, 2008, 10:13:19 PM »

mine went to permanent

« Reply #69 on: February 25, 2008, 10:17:12 PM »

nothing related to this thread, but happy birthday.  ;)

awwwwwwwwwwwww, thank you!!