Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: BC vs. Northeastern  (Read 2827 times)

bruinbro

• Sr. Citizen
  • B-Blitz
    • View Profile
Re: BC vs. Northeastern
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2008, 01:14:09 PM »
Have you seen what BU looks like? Yikes.

You do make a good point about aesthetics. Yikes is right
In: Case Western ($$), IU-B ($$), USD ($$), Pitt ($$), Iowa, Wisconsin , George Mason ($), Loyola-LA ($$), UC-Davis, UIUC ($), American, Tulane ($$),GW
Out: Notre Dame,BC,WUSTL,Cornell,W&L

CLS2009Student

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2008, 01:42:25 PM »
There's pros and cons to both.  The OP didn't even apply to BU so let's just stop here.

Cosmo is very wise, and right here.

Stuje1

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Law School Numbers Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2008, 02:06:25 PM »
I think BC is the clear choice (obviously, a bit biased).   It might be one thing if Northeastern gave you a full (or nearly full) ride, but from reading the posts on here, it seems like that is not going to happen.

While you seem set on crim law now, you never know how your interests might change once you get into law school.  I can't tell you how many of my friends came in dead set on being a DA or doing Corporate law or environmental law and ended up completely changing their mind.  You aren't exposed to a ton of different areas of law prior to law school.  Who knows, maybe you'll take an IP class and find out that is your true passion.  Therefore, you should really go to the best school you can with the best overall job prospects, it is really dangerous to pick a school because they are particularly good at X (not that I actually know if Northeastern is any better on crim law anyway.  In fact, our Crim Pro professor wrote the Examples & Explanations for Criminal Procedure...a really good/well-known national study guide).  Also, while you might not be "terribly interested" in biglaw now, when they start offering you nearly $200K straight out of law school, you may change your mind....so good to keep that option open.
8) Boston College
;D Colorado $, Wisconsin, OSU $, Indiana $, Case $$, Tulane $$$, Davis, Iowa, Hastings, UWashington
:-\ GW, WUSTL, Emory, WashLee, BostonU, Ariz, Minnesota
>:( Gtown, Mich, Nwestern, UIUC, Berk

ohhayitskk

• Sr. Citizen
  • please don't stop the music
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2008, 03:49:54 PM »
I think BC is the clear choice (obviously, a bit biased).   It might be one thing if Northeastern gave you a full (or nearly full) ride, but from reading the posts on here, it seems like that is not going to happen.

While you seem set on crim law now, you never know how your interests might change once you get into law school.  I can't tell you how many of my friends came in dead set on being a DA or doing Corporate law or environmental law and ended up completely changing their mind.  You aren't exposed to a ton of different areas of law prior to law school.  Who knows, maybe you'll take an IP class and find out that is your true passion.  Therefore, you should really go to the best school you can with the best overall job prospects, it is really dangerous to pick a school because they are particularly good at X (not that I actually know if Northeastern is any better on crim law anyway.  In fact, our Crim Pro professor wrote the Examples & Explanations for Criminal Procedure...a really good/well-known national study guide).  Also, while you might not be "terribly interested" in biglaw now, when they start offering you nearly $200K straight out of law school, you may change your mind....so good to keep that option open.

you definitely raise some really excellent points. i do want to remain open to other things, and open to the possibility that, even if biglaw isn't my ULTIMATE goal, it may have to be a financial reality for some period of time. thanks for the thorough response! and thanks to everyone else!
bc eleven.

nubova

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2008, 06:12:51 PM »
BC no question. These are not comparable schools. BU is not even comparable to NEU. Go to either BC or BU if you get  in over NEU.

CLS2009Student

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2008, 01:20:23 PM »
edit: I was wrong.  Redacted.

CLS2009Student

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2008, 01:51:38 PM »
NEU does surprisingly well for it's T3 status.  Co-op really helps this, as does their "no grading" policy IMHO.

But BU is ranked 20, and NU is 87 (I believe), so yeah, BU grads, are, in general, more highly regarded.

I know NEU does well for itself.  But that doesn't justify the assertion that BU "isn't even comparable" to it.  It's not even a matter of rankings or how well regarded it is, either.  I'm just curious as to what basis nubova has for saying BU is so terribly behind both BC and NEU.

CLS2009Student

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2008, 02:43:43 PM »
NEU does surprisingly well for it's T3 status.  Co-op really helps this, as does their "no grading" policy IMHO.

But BU is ranked 20, and NU is 87 (I believe), so yeah, BU grads, are, in general, more highly regarded.

I know NEU does well for itself.  But that doesn't justify the assertion that BU "isn't even comparable" to it.  It's not even a matter of rankings or how well regarded it is, either.  I'm just curious as to what basis nubova has for saying BU is so terribly behind both BC and NEU.

No he said NEU was behind BU and BC... (which it is...)

Of course, you're right: I misunderstood.  My bad!  Yes, go BC over NEU.