Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: BC vs. Northeastern  (Read 2851 times)

ohhayitskk

• Sr. Citizen
  • please don't stop the music
    • View Profile
    • Email
BC vs. Northeastern
« on: February 21, 2008, 11:08:39 AM »
i know you guys love these questions which are asked about a million times a second so...here i go.

i got into bc yesterday and was totally thrilled, especially because i had gotten waitlisted at fordham mere hours earlier. maybe it was the cute little folder they sent me, but i'm really compelled by bc. i think there is a good chance, however (though i know stranger things have happened), that i will not get money at bc. of the other schools i applied to, i am in at suffolk (which is pretty much a no go at this point), tulane with money (though not sure how much yet), and waiting on several others. i expect to get into northeastern with my numbers, and am hoping to get some money for them.

HYPOTHETICALLY, if i get into bc sans money, and northeastern with money, what do i do? i'm not terribly interested in biglaw; i'm really wanting to do criminal law in a big big way. i would like to be in boston, but i wouldn't mind being in nyc either for a period of time. there's a good chance my so will end up at princeton, so being in that area at some point soon would be okay with me if things pan out that way.

additionally, if bc is the right choice, is it possible to work them for some money? i idiotically missed the deadline for the public service scholarship (foolish, i know, not that i would have gotten it anyway, but i didn't see the information until literally about twelve hours before the deadline...doh!), so i'm wondering what my options are.

as always, thanks.
bc eleven.

$Bill

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: BC vs. Northeastern
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2008, 01:21:27 PM »
Everyone will say BC.  That said, if you get money from NEU you cant lose it due to rankings/grades.  Id say if NEU$> or = 4/5 scholarship then give a little thought to NEU, but otherwise BC.

ohhayitskk

• Sr. Citizen
  • please don't stop the music
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2008, 09:09:12 PM »
bummpppp help!
bc eleven.

dpwc

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2008, 02:37:52 AM »
BC BC BC BC BC. Third best school in New England. Go and don't look back.

$$ probably wont happen though.

Agree. Congrats on the acceptance!

tankbrain

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2008, 08:29:35 AM »

BU?
LSAT: 165
GPA:  3.4

rhombot

• Sr. Citizen
  • hanthala
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2008, 09:08:37 AM »
when i applied to northeastern 2 years ago, they weren't giving out any numbers-based aid, only need-based.

if i was in your shoes, i'd go to northeastern unless BC offered up some big bucks. but then, i'm an oddball who prefers the co-op program and justice-orientation of northeastern over the prestige of BC. i'm not sure BC offers a great employment advantage over NE for someone wanting to do crimlaw in boston.

a BC degree will travel to NY better, though.
case '09

CLS2009Student

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2008, 09:52:57 AM »
when i applied to northeastern 2 years ago, they weren't giving out any numbers-based aid, only need-based.

This was my understanding too, although I think they had just debuted a merit scholarship worth up to a few thousands dollars.  Either way, BC has the resources to be much, much more generous with both need-based and merit-based financial aid than Northeastern.  I therefore doubt that the OP will be in the feaered situation.

I'll make another comment about the BC versus Northeastern question.  I applied to both and originally liked both.  But after visiting Northeastern and talking to people there, I got the distinct impression that they have serious trouble getting jobs and that the school, though willing to work very hard on your behalf, struggles to get its graduates even working as lawyers.  This might be wrong, but this it he impression I got.  BC, on the other hand, is a very good school that will open a lot of doors and travel very far.  Their much stronger alumni network and national reputation no doubt helps.

If you're really committed to doing on-the-ground, client-service public interest work then Northeastern might be a good school for you.  They seem to do well with that, and their programs are tailored around it.  But even then, BC will probably still better prepare you.

I know it sounds like I'm ragging on Northeastern, and I don't want to do that.  I think their students, faculty and staff are great and it is a nice school.  Practically, though, I really can't recommend it.

bruinbro

• Sr. Citizen
  • B-Blitz
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2008, 12:09:39 PM »

BU?

BC > BU

I don't think that is clear-cut at all.
In: Case Western ($$), IU-B ($$), USD ($$), Pitt ($$), Iowa, Wisconsin , George Mason ($), Loyola-LA ($$), UC-Davis, UIUC ($), American, Tulane ($$),GW
Out: Notre Dame,BC,WUSTL,Cornell,W&L

bruinbro

• Sr. Citizen
  • B-Blitz
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2008, 12:17:59 PM »

BU?

BC > BU

I don't think that is clear-cut at all.

Oh god not this again.  There's nothing I dislike more than the BC vs BU debate.

No argument from me either way. My point is that it's just not clear that one school is better than the other.
In: Case Western ($$), IU-B ($$), USD ($$), Pitt ($$), Iowa, Wisconsin , George Mason ($), Loyola-LA ($$), UC-Davis, UIUC ($), American, Tulane ($$),GW
Out: Notre Dame,BC,WUSTL,Cornell,W&L

CLS2009Student

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2008, 01:05:02 PM »
BU is in fact very ugly on the outside and in the hallways, although the classrooms seem nice enough.  I will say that there really is not a clearcut winner between BU and BC.  Both are excellent schools.  I think it comes down to fit more than anything else.  Debating which is better, though often done, is just silly.