Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Joint LLB/JD through Osgoode/NYU  (Read 5083 times)

PrincessDiamond

• View Profile
Joint LLB/JD through Osgoode/NYU
« on: February 21, 2008, 10:22:38 AM »
Is anyone else considering this option? Just wanted to know others' thoughts on the joint degree.

Euterpe

• Sr. Citizen
  • The Original Chelsea Girl
    • View Profile
Re: Joint LLB/JD through Osgoode/NYU
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2008, 09:59:23 AM »
I've thought about a joint degree through Detroit Mercy/Windsor.  Can't seem to find anyone with input....
[

Maclock

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2008, 10:17:57 AM »
The Detroit Mercy JD doesn't go all that far in the States.  I would advise you to think very carefully before plonking down a large amount of your money to study at the University of Detroit Mercy.

Lojack

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2008, 01:10:10 PM »
From what I know there are three joint JD/LLB programs, Osgoode/NYU, Ottawa/Michigan State and Windsor/Detriot Mercy, there might be another but I do not know.

The only one from the JD standpoint that will have any real pull on a national scope in the states is NYU, which is a Top 5 Tier 1 law school. You will have a shot at Biglaw in major markets if that is what you desire, which in NYC means a starting salary for a first year associate of $160,000.

Michigan State and Detroit Mercy fall into the Tier 3 and 4 categories respectively, which is not to take anything away from them but you will be in a totally different league when it comes to recruting time. Don't expect

From the Canadian standpoint Osgoode is a top flight school, it sees its students go to prestige law firms on both sides of the border each year. Ottawa is pretty good, it ranks about in the middle while Windsor is towards the bottom, but you also have to remember is Canada only has 16 common law schools. Just some info for anyone that wants it.

Maclock

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2008, 03:27:40 PM »
From what I know there are three joint JD/LLB programs, Osgoode/NYU, Ottawa/Michigan State and Windsor/Detriot Mercy, there might be another but I do not know.

The better Ottawa program is with American University's Washington College of Law.  While this American institution comes nowhere near having the prestige of NYU, it is a better school for employment prospects than either MSU or Detroit Mercy, I would think.

IHeartNewYork

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2008, 04:17:21 PM »
I'm also considering this program, however the problem is that to get in you essentially have to be accepted to both NYU and Oz individually, and NYU's median LSAT is pretty high (170+ I believe).

I wish there was a bit more info out there about the program, though...there's very little mentioned of it on either school's website...

Lojack

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2008, 05:00:27 PM »
I found this info on the University of Ottawa website, there is some great info on the joint LLB/JD program, it appears from what i can grasp is that you just apply once and also you do not pay market rate for the US leg, you pay about 50%.

http://www.commonlaw.uottawa.ca/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=516&Itemid=133

The joint degree with American would be the way to go if you could, it ranks much higher that MSU and it is located in one of the major law markets Washington, even though it is the third ranked law school in the city behind Georgetown and George Washington.

meggo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2008, 05:20:57 PM »
^
yeah but I think American is still in the top 100? A lot of people (from what I hear, this could just be people talking crap) is that a lot of American firms recruit straight from Canadian schools and instead of articling in Canada, they do their stuff down in the states. My cousin goes to U of C law and had American firms at their recruiting fair, another girl I was on a Robert Q with once goes to Western Law and was talking loudly about how she had just gotten back from a full paid trip to NYC to meet with a NY firm that was recruiting and in the end her and her friend got offered SA's there and would be flying back next week. So....just something to keep in the back of your mind.

Lojack

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2008, 06:31:17 PM »
Yes American is a top school, but yes American firms  recruit every year out of Canada, there is a flow a students to the cities likes NYC, heck if you get a first year associates position at biglaw firm in New York go for it, it means a starting rate of $160,000 rather than having to article in Canada for a lot less.

Euterpe

• Sr. Citizen
  • The Original Chelsea Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2008, 03:05:37 PM »
The Detroit Mercy JD doesn't go all that far in the States.  I would advise you to think very carefully before plonking down a large amount of your money to study at the University of Detroit Mercy.

Thanks - This is the sort of input I need.  Unfortunately I own a home in SE Michigan.  Therefore I am limited on the locale of my studies.

My interest in a joint degree is keen, however may not be prudent.

My undergrad degrees are Science (4.0) and Sociology (3.7).  I fear that I may not attain the LSAT score necessary for the University of Michigan. 

Looks as though I need to explore other options.

Any thoughts on the University of Toledo's JD program?
[