Law School Discussion

Any word from Emory on scholarships?

gowi

• Emory '11
    • View Profile
Re: Any word from Emory on scholarships?
« Reply #120 on: March 11, 2008, 06:13:44 AM »
It seriously sucks that they didn't send our files to the scholarship committee until after the Woodruff committe was finished with us. Had I known they would do that, I most certainly wouldn't have applied for the Woodruff. Wonder if they held back any of those $96k scholarships for the Woodruff rejects?

Anyway, I don't know if this person is online anywhere, but I did meet a Woodruff finalist for Emory last week. I'm going to bite my tongue about the person though.  ;)

« Reply #121 on: March 11, 2008, 07:09:26 AM »
$54k. That still isn't enough for me to be able to attend. Im very debt averse. Does anyone know how Emory handles scholarship increase requests? Emory is my first choice and I will probably sit out this year if I cannot get an increase in scholarship.   :-[

gclemen1

« Reply #122 on: March 11, 2008, 07:20:51 AM »
It seriously sucks that they didn't send our files to the scholarship committee until after the Woodruff committe was finished with us. Had I known they would do that, I most certainly wouldn't have applied for the Woodruff. Wonder if they held back any of those $96k scholarships for the Woodruff rejects?

Anyway, I don't know if this person is online anywhere, but I did meet a Woodruff finalist for Emory last week. I'm going to bite my tongue about the person though.  ;)

Same here!  If I would have known that the Woodruff would delay my scholarship, I never would have applied.  It would be silly if they offered all the money and there were no dollars left for those who applied for the woodruff.  I am sure our letters will be in the mail soon.  I am praying it is soon though, for my own sanity
Thanks for the congrats, guys.  I figured I'd better stop by LSD to see who else hit the jackpot today.

I didn't even bother with that Woodruff business; sounded like a pain in the ass.  We know anybody who got it?

Also, Decider, is our OSU scholarship the same except I already have the in-state discount?  We keep getting the same $$$ from everybody.  And they say it's not about numbers...

Anyway, now that Emory is just as cheap, I guess I'm going to withdraw from OSU.  And Wake, who keep sending me e-mails inviting to apply for $$ and then keep sending updates because they forget to attach things and get their dates wrong and whatnot.  I know I used to complain about Emory and how they'd send these big fat packets weeks after we were complete and the packets would just be viewbooks, and then they'd send the fee waivers that say "Sorry, not retroactive."  But now they offered $$, I think Emory's adcomm is a-ok.  I want to complain about Wake now... these clowns don't have their poo together, at all.  Also, I just got an e-mail from UNC asking me to be patient... What the @#!*?  I applied to you in November, you're the only school I haven't heard from, and I haven't complained AT ALL!  Don't tell me to be patient, you patronizing fucks.

/rant.  Obviously I've been away from LSD for too long.

Reez, i think you need to change that $$ that describes the emory scholarship to $$$$$!  And I still can't believe that I got rejected at the OSU, still baffled.

« Reply #123 on: March 11, 2008, 09:35:27 AM »
The original email from Emory said "Scholarship notifications began February 29 and will continue through the week of March 3." But it looks like people are still receiving them this week. Can we assume notification is ongoing, or have I missed the first wave?

« Reply #124 on: March 11, 2008, 10:07:21 AM »
Anyone (non-URM) with a GPA below 3.4 received a scholarship offer yet?

« Reply #125 on: March 11, 2008, 10:57:42 AM »
Any 3.7/170+ received any scholarship money yet?

« Reply #126 on: March 11, 2008, 11:41:04 AM »

Yup--only 75K for some reason. Don't get me wrong, very grateful, but I'm surprised that those w/ lower stats got substantially more money. Definitely be withdrawing, so hopefully some of my $$ goes to y'all.

gclemen1

« Reply #127 on: March 11, 2008, 04:38:03 PM »
So we've decided that those who applied for the Woodruff have not received any scholarship information yet?

Phew.  I thought I was alone in not receiving anything yet.  I shouldn't have applied for it either, then  :-\

That seems to be the consensus.  I sure hope it is correct.  I really wish I didn't apply for that thing considering it was a zero chance possibility.  The wait is killin me.  I ran to my mailbox like a giddy schoolboy today and dissapointment ensued when there wasn't the magical Emory scholarship letter waiting for me.

Yup--only 75K for some reason. Don't get me wrong, very grateful, but I'm surprised that those w/ lower stats got substantially more money. Definitely be withdrawing, so hopefully some of my $$ goes to y'all.

Would you have gone if they offered you 90k?  If not, that is the reason the higher stats are getting less I believe.

gclemen1

« Reply #128 on: March 11, 2008, 08:35:28 PM »
GC: Same here.  I think I'm going to stop getting so excited until I hear that you've received something, considering your mailbox's proximity.  So enjoy the hope-disappointment cycle while I just wait it out  ;)

But the thing is, I haven't received my Woodruff rejection yet.  Have you?  Or are they looking to bang this out in one shot?

I'll be at the Emory chat tomorrow night.  Hopefully they address some questions (here is some time to prep for you Emory adcomms reading):

1. What percentage of the class loses their scholarship?
2. What about those who have not heard about money yet?  Are they getting anything?
3. Have all the Woodruffs been notified yet?

I think they extended the date for scholarship correspondence on their email, too.

Yeah, I got the rejection for the Woodruff in the mail on Saturday.

as far as the questions, all you have to do is maintain a 2.25 GPA (good academic standing) at the emory curve of a 3.1 (I think that is the curve)  Emory has a pretty forgiving curve, and I think you have other problems if you are not in good academic standing anyways.  The scholarships at Emory are really awesome because of this fact - they are almost impossible to lose.
"*Scholarship notification began on February 29, and will continue throughout the week of March 15th."

Damn, sorry dudes.  I think that means you might not hear back until the following Wednesday, March 19.  It could be a long 8 days.

(But, in the end, you're going to get the $$ gc)

hey, as long as I get it like I hope I will, I won't be complaining.  I would just like the letter in my hand!

gowi

• Emory '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: March 12, 2008, 06:09:29 AM »
GC: Same here.  I think I'm going to stop getting so excited until I hear that you've received something, considering your mailbox's proximity.  So enjoy the hope-disappointment cycle while I just wait it out  ;)

This is my plan too, lol. I didn't even hope for it yesterday. I guess come March 24th-ish I'll start to worry, but until then, guess I'll just have to whine about being silly enough to apply for the Woodruff, lol.