Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What do you tink about this idea formy PS  (Read 696 times)

mao

• View Profile
    • Email
What do you tink about this idea formy PS
« on: October 03, 2004, 08:40:03 AM »
I am a financial analyst at a financial planning firm.  What I have been doing  the past couple of months is working with a client that has terminal cancer try and get his estate in order.  The biggest issues with this client are the he has a huge estate (over 30 million) which is very illiquid (can not easlly sell property for cash), try to provide for the children (both under the age of 18), try and save in estate taxes (over 16 million), and try to keep the childrens lifes as uneffected as possible. Then I would take about what we did to help the client.

What do you think about my PS.

dr_draino

Re: What do you tink about this idea formy PS
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2004, 10:35:45 AM »
I think it's great...if you're applying to financial planner school.

wtf does this have to do with how you will succeed as a law student?

Casper

• Sr. Citizen
  • Casper, the friendly Ghost.
    • View Profile
    • DANY
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2004, 11:37:44 AM »
You will have to relate it to why you want to b/c a lawyer, or become a lawyer doing estate, survivor ship, etc.  THe paragraph, should grab the attention of the reader more, which is lacking. 
Drawing dead, serving 25 to life.

Lawschool2005

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2004, 03:08:07 PM »
I agree you need to relate that story to Law School, I think it is feasible to make it into a great PS.

shadowcreeper

• Sr. Citizen
  • LSD Cheerleader
    • View Profile
    • law school hopeful
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2004, 03:36:44 PM »
I also agree that you need to bring this full circle. If you go with this topic and you can show a little bit about the person that you are and why that coupled with the finance thing makes you want to be a lawyer, I think it could be a good statement. You just need to focus less on the actual events and more on you.
I can't pass up this oppurtunity to make myself absurd.
I can't pass up this oppurtunity to make myself be heard.
Nobody's gonna stand in my way.
Give it up son, I'm doin this my way.. Seether

http://lawschoolhopeful.blogspot.com/

swifty

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSAT Sucks
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2004, 07:12:57 PM »
There are many people who have done this for their own family.  You are doing it and getting paid,  Not a decent topic at all. 
And the sign said "Long-haired freaky people need not apply" So I tucked my hair up under my hat and I went in to ask him why. He said "You look like a fine outstanding young man, I think you'll do.  So I took off my hat, I said "Imagine that. Huh! Me workin' for you!"Sign, sign, everywhere a sign..

mao

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2004, 07:25:06 PM »
Thanks for the feedback.  I thought that it was suppose to give the reviewer some kind of idea why I am looking at law school, but from the reviews I guess that is not the correct thing.  Could you please point me in the correct way.  Is there some book that I can look at with examples or something.  But I bet most of you will tell me to look at the board.  Again thanks for the feedback.

swifty

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSAT Sucks
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2004, 10:14:50 PM »
Thanks for the feedback.  I thought that it was suppose to give the reviewer some kind of idea why I am looking at law school, but from the reviews I guess that is not the correct thing.  Could you please point me in the correct way.  Is there some book that I can look at with examples or something.  But I bet most of you will tell me to look at the board.  Again thanks for the feedback.

Certainly it is not ideal to talk about "why you are looking at law school."  Everybody seems to love a book written by Montauk, How to get into the top law schools."

You should have made up your mind already why you want to go to law school, why you would be a good candiditate/student is what they want to see.  They really want you to talk about you, not other people.  The more they know about you, How YOU did things that helped people, or whatever reason you can come up with to tell them you are interested in their school.  Yes, some hove different personal statements for different schools.  Remember, it's still all bout you. 

Montauk does a good job on this, not so good in other areas, but he has nailed this part.
And the sign said "Long-haired freaky people need not apply" So I tucked my hair up under my hat and I went in to ask him why. He said "You look like a fine outstanding young man, I think you'll do.  So I took off my hat, I said "Imagine that. Huh! Me workin' for you!"Sign, sign, everywhere a sign..