Law School Discussion

Denver AUSA

bdiz

Denver AUSA
« on: February 21, 2008, 06:49:52 AM »
Hello All,

After law school, my goal is to land a job in the US Attorney's office for the Denver district and I was wondering if anyone on this board has an idea/experience with landing such a position.  I will likely be attending either UPENN Law or Columbia Law this fall, but I was also accepted to CU-Boulder and the University of Denver. 

While I realize that it would probably be silly to take Boulder or Denver over Penn or Columbia (barring an extenuating circumstance or full ride at one of the former), do you think that being from outside Colorado, attending law school out of state, and then applying at the US Attorney's office in Denver would find me in stiff competition with some of the gunners from the Boulder/Denver law schools?  Would I be better off in this scenario just attending Boulder, the "hometown favorite?"

Also, does anybody know how difficult it is to get these jobs?

Thanks in advance for your input!

bjtnj ;D

Re: Denver AUSA
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2008, 08:27:19 AM »
Well, bearing in mind that I'm a 0L too, take what I know with a grain of salt.  That said, I know the USAs hire locally, that is, each district has its own HR office.  They also take volunteers around the year, so I suppose that being local would help on that front.  Of course, there is probably a transitive property to studying in Philly or NYC. 
If you are really superduper sure that you want to live in Denver and if CU gave you $$$, maybe it makes sense to put on the local jacket now.  Once again, I imagine it's about connections and networking and if you are here through school and perform at that high level, there will be a great job for you in Denver and a loft in LoDo.

As far as hiring, these are not easy jobs to come by, they are few.  If it's the area more than Denver proper, I think if you have a pulse (anything about 0bpm), you could find a job in Cheyenne, which has a USA office or northern Colorado.

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2008, 08:29:10 AM »
Oh, and to follow up...

Don't go to DU, that school is a friggin' waste of money if you're in to Boulder.

Second, just for ghits and shiggles, you should call the CSOs at each school and ask them how they would proceed.  Everyone says these offices are a waste, but I'd be curious to hear their takes on the matter and how much they fluff you up.

vap

• Attorney
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2008, 09:52:11 AM »
Most US Attorney offices do not hire grads fresh out of law school.  I'd say go to Penn or Columbia.  After a few years of work experience, you might have a shot at getting the AUSA gig.

If, however, you have experience with biglaw already and know you wouldn't be able to stand it for 3-4 years, then by all means take a scholarship at a lower-ranked school.  But Colorado is pretty low compared to Penn/Columbia.

How set are you on working in Denver?

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2008, 10:33:01 AM »
this is retarded, no one in their right mind would choose denver over columbia, just stop

Little D

• WOOOOOO PIG SOOIE
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (I'm strictly liable)
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2008, 10:40:40 AM »
this is retarded, no one in their right mind would choose denver over columbia, just stop

titcr

plus dont you have to have like five years of experience before becoming an AUSA unless you do their honors program or whatever?  Since I'm pretty sure this is a flame, go frick yourself.

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2008, 03:28:16 PM »
If I may ask, why are you so set on Denver?  I am a Denver native and can't wait to get out of here  ;D.  But I did apply to CU and DU and got dinged at both.  As said above if you get into CU go there, don't bother with DU.  CU is my alma mater, and I would be very happy living in Boulder again, but that's just me.  You may as well go to UPenn because it's true you can't really know where you'll want to be 3 or even 10 years from now.

bdiz

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2008, 05:35:20 PM »
All really good points, and you are right that three years or so down the road could really change my mind about where I wish to live and what I'd like to do.

Why Denver?  Ive always loved Denver while living in Fort Collins for a few years and my wife already has some family there (though she's from California).

bjtnj