Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Baffling historical numbers trend  (Read 412 times)

SuperDude

• View Profile
Baffling historical numbers trend
« on: February 21, 2008, 03:15:13 AM »
I don't know if anyone has discussed this yet, but according to http://www.ilrg.com/rankings/law/ there are quite a few T1 schools that have upped their median LSAT and GPAs consistently for the past 5 or so years.

What I'm having a hard time understanding is how schools can raise their numbers like that even though the LSAT is standardized.  If top law schools are all competing for the same top students, shouldn't a rise in one necessitate a decline in LSAT numbers for another?  But how is it that virtually every T35 school has maintained or improved their numbers?

One possible explanation I can came up with is the new policy that allows law schools to only report the top LSAT score, so that law schools are no longer penalized for accepting an applicant who has messed up 2 out of the 3 times he or she has taken the LSAT.

Also there is the possibility that with the gradual acceptance of the electronic application system, splitters are applying to more reach schools than they otherwise would and getting into these top schools.

Any ideas?

Majmun

• Sr. Citizen
  • Now Featuring Excess Whiteness
    • View Profile
Re: Baffling historical numbers trend
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2008, 08:58:38 AM »
Simple there was a spike in the number of people applying ~5 years ago (ie a bigger total pool means more 170+ scorers), some schools have cut their class size, and for the last two years the new retake policy.