Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Law School Sucks, But HLS Sucks Less: Harvard 1Ls Taking Questions  (Read 12468 times)

Brito

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - ViolaLovesMusic
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Law School Sucks, But HLS Sucks Less: Harvard 1Ls Taking Questions
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2008, 11:20:02 AM »
Harvard Law Ballroom Dance

http://www.law.harvard.edu/students/orgs/ballroom/

Google loves you

I don't think I've ever seen fliers or announcements about this group.  They may not be active anymore.  But then, maybe I just missed it.
Harvard 2010

nikegrrlvj

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2008, 11:32:24 AM »
I'd like to know more about the atmosphere among the students. As someone entering directly from undergrad, I admit that there is a bit of nervousness about entering a room where everyone is discussing their grad degrees and extensive work experience. Does this happen, or does the intensity of law school (and the fact that it must be different than anything else we've experienced) sort of level the playing field?

Also, the age-old question: do you have time for a social life? Have you gotten to explore Cambridge/Boston?
A: HLS
WL:
R:
P: YLS
WD: UMich($$$), UPenn, Duke($$$), UVA($$$), W&L, CLS

Brito

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - ViolaLovesMusic
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2008, 11:55:35 AM »
I'd like to know more about the atmosphere among the students. As someone entering directly from undergrad, I admit that there is a bit of nervousness about entering a room where everyone is discussing their grad degrees and extensive work experience. Does this happen, or does the intensity of law school (and the fact that it must be different than anything else we've experienced) sort of level the playing field?

Also, the age-old question: do you have time for a social life? Have you gotten to explore Cambridge/Boston?

A lot of people enter directly from undergrad.  I understand your nervousness, but I don't think it's as intimidating as you fear.  Everyone is a bit nervous at first...

There is time for a social life.  I'm the kind of person who likes to stay in with a good book to unwind, but I have time to go to a lot of campus activities.  Those who want to do bar review every Thursday also seem to have time.  HLS is not uniformly grueling.  Class reading is totally manageable, and you'll have a lot of time to do other things.  The problems come from extracurriculars, not classes--it's all up to you.
Harvard 2010

Jerry Maguire

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2008, 01:04:27 PM »
I got an email saying HLS hasn't decided on my app yet and if there are things I want to send (transcripts, another essay, another letter of rec) I should. I don't really want to send my transcripts because of one bad grade I got last qtr. I am sending a lil one page essay. Any idea as to what else I can do, or if it's even worth sending?

janeyoo

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2008, 01:13:12 PM »
From Dean Stock's blog:

"You can feel free to send in additional materials, especially if you want to update us on your academic or career progress. For most people, though, additional information would have, at best, a negligible impact on our final decision. If you did a good job of compiling your application, its in our hands now. Were going to take a look at the whole pool and finish putting together the class of 2009." 

I would say, send anything you think makes a difference...but don't feel like you need to search for things to send.  I got put on hold last year, and didn't send in a single thing.  I am not saying that's the thing to do, but I wouldn't stress about it.

indyguy7484

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2008, 01:16:27 PM »
Do you guys live on campus?  What's your opinion on the housing options at HLS?

nikegrrlvj

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2008, 01:19:48 PM »

A lot of people enter directly from undergrad.  I understand your nervousness, but I don't think it's as intimidating as you fear.  Everyone is a bit nervous at first...

There is time for a social life.  I'm the kind of person who likes to stay in with a good book to unwind, but I have time to go to a lot of campus activities.  Those who want to do bar review every Thursday also seem to have time.  HLS is not uniformly grueling.  Class reading is totally manageable, and you'll have a lot of time to do other things.  The problems come from extracurriculars, not classes--it's all up to you.

Thank you!

PS - I remember seeing you (your avatar, really) in the TS call thread from last year when I was anxiously awaiting mine this year. Glad you got in and are enjoying it!
A: HLS
WL:
R:
P: YLS
WD: UMich($$$), UPenn, Duke($$$), UVA($$$), W&L, CLS

janeyoo

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 21, 2008, 01:46:16 PM »
Do you guys live on campus?  What's your opinion on the housing options at HLS?

I live off-campus. My advice would be to live as close as you can stand.  If you need a kitchen, or want to get a away from law school...the dorms are not ideal.  However, if I could go back I would probably live there.  They are cheap and so close!

Another great option is to try to get into either Terry Terrace or Garden Street-- two of the Harvard Affiliated apartments.  They are quite close to campus.  They are a little more expsensive, but if you can afford it (and get one!) then I would say that would be ideal.

indyguy7484

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 21, 2008, 01:55:56 PM »
Thanks Janeyoo.  I'd really like to have a kitchen but apartments in Cambridge cost, you know, a lot.  I'll definitely look into the two Harvard affiliated places you mentioned.

Jerry Maguire

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 21, 2008, 03:09:46 PM »
What are the reasons people go to/reject Harvard law? I know the name gets you in doors, but significantly more? Anything else?