Law School Discussion

December Help... RC Improvement

December Help... RC Improvement
« on: October 03, 2004, 04:58:16 AM »
Any books (regular books) to recommend that will help someone improve their RC score?

Re: December Help... RC Improvement
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2004, 08:40:05 AM »
newguy, i'm looking for the same thing.  rc is probably my weakness, i usually miss about 6 questions on that section.  Although on the Oct. lsat I think I missed about half of them.  Definitely bone up on this section.  My first recommendation would be to do full length tests.  But, i too, am looking for something besides tests to help me out with this.  It's funny, on my act i got a 36 on reading comp. this is just an entirely different playing field.  Start reading your school assignments for one:)  If they are dense enough it will be like practicing!

mchek

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2004, 08:43:35 AM »
It might not be a bad idea to read articles in trade journals. You could probably find them online and not have to buy anything. Probably, the more boring they are, the better. I too am taking the LSAT in December, my weakness is the LR section. Any tips for improvement on the section would be great.

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2004, 08:48:45 AM »
What do you mean by trade journals?  Like science journals?  Since passages are my weakenss:)  For lr I think its just practice.  It really helps to go over the incorrect answers and understand why you got them wrong.  For me, lr and games were improved by lots of practice.  As for reading comp, I never really practiced it bc i didn't think i had a problem with it.  The week of the test I suddenly remembered that while I'd been focusing on games I'd totally ingored rc.  Don't ignore any of the sections:)

Casper

• Casper, the friendly Ghost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2004, 08:53:20 AM »
Law Journals, plus your getting a head start for law school!  It's the best advice I've gotten so far for improving RC.  The RC questions are composed of Family 1 question types in LRB.  I think NOVA master the lsat has some very good tips for RC. 

It's taking me an average of 2 minutes to finish reading the passage.  HOw is everyone else's timing? 

mchek

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2004, 08:54:10 AM »
Yeah, science journals or anything in any field unrelated to what you study or have a solid grasp on. I find with RC that some of the passages are difficult to sink in and I end up reading the same paragraph two or three times. My mind wanders easily when I read anything that doesn't interest me.
I do plan on buying the LRB. Thanks for the info. I'm sure I need tons more practice.

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2004, 08:56:31 AM »
It takes me 3 min.  But, I've actually slowed it down to that.  I think I retain more when I go a little slower.  Where have you access law jounals? 

dr_draino

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2004, 09:01:24 AM »
I think a key here is to not just read one article and call it quits, but to find a topic you're somewhat interested in and read multiple articles...this forces you to recognize the differences in tone, opinion etc. between authors and you'll quickly get to where you can recognize a tone, point etc. from just one article if you practice this.

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2004, 09:12:14 AM »
That's a good idea.  I should probably find a topic that I don't understand very well.  I really like psych and soc, but I don't understand science as well.  I sure didn't like the architecture passage either!!

Casper

• Casper, the friendly Ghost.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2004, 09:15:30 AM »
School library?  If not in school, see if you can access your school's library computer.  Most colleges have online access to databases that contain law journal from across the country.  I will PM the actually method that I use.