Law School Discussion

UPenn/GULC PI Scholarships?

bdiz

UPenn/GULC PI Scholarships?
« on: February 20, 2008, 04:16:52 PM »
I am just wondering if anyone knows when UPENN and Georgetown Law will be making their announcements regarding Public Interest fellowships this year. 

Does anyone know what kind of applicants have been awarded these fellowships in the past?  Do I have to cure cancer between now and then to even anticipate winning one?

Thanks!

bjtnj ;)

Re: UPenn/GULC PI Scholarships?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2008, 04:31:18 PM »
On the Penn admitted student site, they have little bios of the current Public Interest Scholars.  It looked like most of them had a few years of experience working in public interest after college, but it was in a really wide variety of fields.

I am also curious to know when these scholarships are decided - I applied to both as well :)

loowho

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2008, 06:36:23 PM »
Tag.

I applied for both of these as well. I'm a little intimidated by the experience of some of the current scholars, but I figured I'd give it a shot. I'd like to know when they start notifying people. (For this type of a thing, if you don't get one, do you get a rejection, or do you just never hear?)

loowho

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2008, 11:56:14 AM »
I just read on the UPenn Class of 2011 Thread that they will be announcing the Toll Scholars in April (that is sooo far away!). I'm really hoping to hear about these before having to make a deposit anywhere, b/c either of these scholarships will probably make my decision for me.

Yak Herder

• University of Washington 2011
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2008, 12:17:29 PM »
I applied for the Toll scholarship at Penn, but I imagine I'd have to be accepted first before I'd even get my hopes up.  Penn...You're so fine, please give me some clarity! #)!$U(#) GULC, had I known you had a PI scholarship, I'd have applied to your law school!  Right now I've got jangled nerves waiting for March 4, when University of Washington announces finalists for the Gates PI scholarship.  Anyone else apply for this?

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2008, 11:24:41 AM »
anyone else get the gtown PILS finalist email?

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2008, 01:22:52 PM »
no email here :(

loowho

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2008, 01:52:37 PM »
me neither :(. I hope the emails are rolling as they look at apps!

Yak Herder

• University of Washington 2011
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2008, 06:45:40 PM »
Yeah, a Penn Law alumna friend of mine applied in January and, the way she tells it, was given the impression by the school that it might not even be worth it for her to fill out the app (even though the deadline is in mid-February!)  Getting a scholarship like this would make a PI career such a more realistic possibility...My sincere best wishes to all on  this board who applied.  Anyone with a legitimate shot at getting such a scholarship has already been doing good work in life.

loowho

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2008, 07:01:11 PM »
Yeah, I doubt I have a legitimate shot; my PI experience has been many brief stints in different areas as I figure out what exactly I want to do. But here's to hoping!