Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Poll

Where should I matriculate?

Tulane $$$
Washington University in St. Louis $

Author Topic: WUSTL or Tulane?  (Read 10412 times)

sinkfloridasink

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: WUSTL or Tulane?
« Reply #50 on: February 27, 2008, 03:40:27 PM »
I'm not flaming!  Your school doesn't have any money and its city got hit by a hurricane!  Plus it's been a 40s school for the past few years despite its reputation and it's now tied for the lowest ranking in the entire first tier!

Link to Tulane having no money?  I'm not freaking out on you, I just hadn't heard about it.

And yes, the city got hit by a hurricane, but that doesn't mean that 2 years later, our rank is going anywhere.  Link/numbers for that too?

Wouldn't the large amounts of money Tulane has been giving out point to the fact that Tulane isn't running out?
Tulane c/o 2011

BearlyLegal

• LSD Obsessed
  • And the greatest threat to America is... Bears!!!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Newjoetm
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #51 on: February 27, 2008, 04:03:37 PM »
I'm not flaming!  Your school doesn't have any money and its city got hit by a hurricane!  Plus it's been a 40s school for the past few years despite its reputation and it's now tied for the lowest ranking in the entire first tier!

Link to Tulane having no money?  I'm not freaking out on you, I just hadn't heard about it.

And yes, the city got hit by a hurricane, but that doesn't mean that 2 years later, our rank is going anywhere.  Link/numbers for that too?

Wouldn't the large amounts of money Tulane has been giving out point to the fact that Tulane isn't running out?
TITCR. I applied to Tulane specifically because all data shows that they are the single best placement potential vs. scholaship deal for someone in the mid 160's. They have to be olling in dough to give out this many scholarships. If anything, I'd think their rating must come up. They are about to steal me from Fordham, and I can't be the only one...

whartonn

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 27, 2008, 04:04:17 PM »
I'm not flaming!  Your school doesn't have any money and its city got hit by a hurricane!  Plus it's been a 40s school for the past few years despite its reputation and it's now tied for the lowest ranking in the entire first tier!

And basically, my point is that it's still not that much different than WUSTL, placement-wise.

I don't think this is fair. Tulane can't help that the city was hit by natural disater. I don't think employers will penalize the school for overcoming adversity.

I also don't think it is accurate to say that the school doesn't have any money. By most accounts, it has recovered quite well.

jhoffa

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #53 on: February 27, 2008, 04:19:50 PM »
I also don't think it is accurate to say that the school doesn't have any money. By most accounts, it has recovered quite well.

I'm not trying to jump on the bash Tulane bandwagon here but it has been known to be a cash-poor school (i.e., relying on a greater proportion of tuition money versus endowment proceeds for operating expenses than its peers) for some time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._colleges_and_universities_by_endowment#Endowment_per_student

whartonn

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 27, 2008, 04:23:18 PM »

I'm not trying to jump on the bash Tulane bandwagon here but it has been known to be a cash-poor school (i.e., relying on a greater proportion of tuition money versus endowment proceeds for operating expenses than its peers) for some time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._colleges_and_universities_by_endowment#Endowment_per_student

Good point.

I would make one observation though: Tulane ranks above Georgetown, William and Mary, and UNC on this list. I think it is fair to say that Tulane is not among the cash-rich schools, but it is not fair to say that it doesn't have "any money".

Gitmo Jones

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 27, 2008, 04:26:34 PM »
tulane was still ahead of georgetown, and unc chapel hill, william and mary, and bu, and most of the schools listed ahead of it are small liberal arts schools, that do not have law schools, so this list is not at all indicative of tulane being cash poor, good try though

botbot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 27, 2008, 04:27:21 PM »

Good point.

I would make one observation though: Tulane ranks above Georgetown, William and Mary, and UNC on this list. I think it is fair to say that Tulane is not among the most cash-rich schools, but it is not fair to say that it has "no money".

Not to mention that list uses a total endowment figure ~$150 million less than the current endowment. 

jhoffa

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #57 on: February 27, 2008, 04:41:42 PM »

botbot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 27, 2008, 04:48:22 PM »
Here's the latest official report I could find:

http://www.nacubo.org/Images/All%20Institutions%20Listed%20by%20FY%202007%20Market%20Value%20of%20Endowment%20Assets_2007%20NES.pdf

Right.  Tulane was around 1 billion around that time.  Endowment has grown ~15% since that report (which is pretty substantial).

jhoffa

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #59 on: February 27, 2008, 05:04:04 PM »
tulane was still ahead of georgetown, and unc chapel hill, william and mary, and bu, and most of the schools listed ahead of it are small liberal arts schools, that do not have law schools, so this list is not at all indicative of tulane being cash poor, good try though

I'm not trying to get into a huge argument here but within academia, Tulane has indeed has or at least, had, that reputation. I have friends who are on the faculty there who have stated this and those who turned down faculty appointments for this reason. Also witness http://www.bestofneworleans.com/dispatch/2007-07-10/cover_story.php. Now, of course, to botbot's point the school has received lots of post-Katrina contributions and has totally restructured its organization so is probably more solvent then at least immediately post-Katrina.

I would also argue with your contention with your "most of the schools listed..." quote. Just within its [law school] competitive set, ND, Richmond, Emory, WashU, Vandy, W&L, and Wake contradict that statement with SMU and BC being on par.

I should also mention that I don't have anything against Tulane at all nor do I have a vested interest in seeing the OP go to WUSTL, just trying to share some info that might help in the decision making process.