Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: UCLA v. BOALT  (Read 631 times)

Jerry Maguire

• View Profile
UCLA v. BOALT
« on: February 20, 2008, 04:54:37 PM »
Hi I'm in at UCLA (around 80k for 3 years) and Boalt (no fin aid yet), waiting to hear back from Harv, Yale, Stanf, Columbia with a 169 and a 3.65 at UCLA.

I've met with UCLA and they seem to want me, convincing me UCLA's entertainment law is awesome. I don't doubt it, but if I get into a top school, with no money, versus UCLA with money, I don't know what I'll do. Any advice? Would someone go to Boalt with the above info right off the bat?

I assume it will be easier to find a job coming from a top school, but since UCLA is in LA where I want to practice entertainment law, I figure it is almost negligible, no? School me please!

bruinbro

• Sr. Citizen
  • B-Blitz
    • View Profile
Re: UCLA v. BOALT
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2008, 06:15:09 PM »
As much as I love my Bruins, Cal is a significantly better law school than UCLA. I would personally be willing to pay much more to go to Cal. Your decision might be easier once you hear back about aid from Cal.
In: Case Western ($$), IU-B ($$), USD ($$), Pitt ($$), Iowa, Wisconsin , George Mason ($), Loyola-LA ($$), UC-Davis, UIUC ($), American, Tulane ($$),GW
Out: Notre Dame,BC,WUSTL,Cornell,W&L

Jerry Maguire

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2008, 06:38:22 PM »
Interesting, and Leigh Steinberg Sports Agent extraordinaire went to Cal...but what about the area? Nor cal v. So cal? Other thoughts?

bruinbro

• Sr. Citizen
  • B-Blitz
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2008, 06:44:35 PM »
Interesting, and Leigh Steinberg Sports Agent extraordinaire went to Cal...but what about the area? Nor cal v. So cal? Other thoughts?

I wouldn't base your choice on where top agents went to law school. Scott Boras went to McGeorge and Tom Condon went to Baltimore.

I also wouldn't base your choice on an interest in an obscure area of law. Your interests might change or you might find that sports law is a very hard market to enter. 
In: Case Western ($$), IU-B ($$), USD ($$), Pitt ($$), Iowa, Wisconsin , George Mason ($), Loyola-LA ($$), UC-Davis, UIUC ($), American, Tulane ($$),GW
Out: Notre Dame,BC,WUSTL,Cornell,W&L

Jerry Maguire

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2008, 01:02:52 PM »
Yeah people tell me that alot, "you enter law school knowing what you want to do and you change your mind 3 or 4 times"

I actually don't really buy that, but w/e. People that break into the industry are people, they put their pants on the same way I do.

The question remains, what are the advantages of top schools versus UCLA w/ some fin aid? I wouldn't consider entertainment biglaw so loans will be a factor. Job placement? Location?

HarveyWallbanger

• View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2008, 03:02:02 PM »
Hi I'm in at UCLA (around 80k for 3 years) and Boalt (no fin aid yet), waiting to hear back from Harv, Yale, Stanf, Columbia with a 169 and a 3.65 at UCLA.

I've met with UCLA and they seem to want me, convincing me UCLA's entertainment law is awesome. I don't doubt it, but if I get into a top school, with no money, versus UCLA with money, I don't know what I'll do. Any advice? Would someone go to Boalt with the above info right off the bat?

I assume it will be easier to find a job coming from a top school, but since UCLA is in LA where I want to practice entertainment law, I figure it is almost negligible, no? School me please!

Jesus.  I got waitlisted at UCLA with a 3.73 from Michigan and a 168 plus an MA from UCSD in philosophy, as a 30-yr-old cancer survivor (i only mention that because i was led to believe that it contributed to my being an atypical student).

Going to UCLA is the difference between not getting in and getting 80k?  Sheesh.  I guess that bodes well for me at Ann Arbor.

Any special soft factors going for ya?

Congrats, by the way!
'Dozo-bound.

Jerry Maguire

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2008, 03:08:37 PM »
You should be congratulated as well, I would say quite the atypical student (some things are more important than grades right?). You should be in no sweat, if my numbers are any indication.

The Admissions office is courting me pretty hard, having students call me and email me and inviting me to meetings and all. It's nice, trouble is i dont know how i stand at the top five schools at all. I love UCLA but I want to be the best at what I will do, and I need to hear from others to know whether they can be better or not.

Soft factors huh, well LA weather/nightlife is tops, no doubt. I'd get in-state tuition at the CA schools, and from what I hear UCLA's entertainment law is pretty good. I kinda want to travel the country, but then I kinda don't care either, I'm weird i guess...

casper13

• Sr. Citizen
  • Oh I just love her. dont you
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2008, 03:37:35 PM »
My opinion (not like it matters much im sure of it) would be that if you think and believe youll stay in Ca then UCLA with cash can do no harm. With the Boalt degree your world opens up a bit more, but mind you UCLA is respected in a lof of places also besides CA. It would be a hard decision for me and I dont envy you at all for having to make this choice. Go visit Boalt and get a feel for it may be the only way you can decide.