Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Oct 04 writing sample  (Read 1484 times)

soupnazi

Oct 04 writing sample
« on: October 03, 2004, 05:42:13 AM »
ok, I realize that the w.s. is  pretty worthless but did anybody actually argue for the "Living with Diabetes" over "What's Up Doc?".  What kid is going to listen to some stuck up newscaster interview doctors and researchers.  Talk about a snooze fest...

foxnewssucks

Re: Oct 04 writing sample
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2004, 05:42:54 AM »
I did.

Comm-Law

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2004, 06:24:11 AM »
I took the "Living with Diabetes" on the basis that that segment addressed a group of "peers" by interviewing a number of students.  The "What's Up Doc" segment was less likely to appeal to a large cross-section of kids because it focused on one individual who happened to be a "Rap-artist" if I remember correctly.  What if you don't like Rap?  Wouldn't that cause one to have a bias against watching the story?  As always, there are ways to argue for or against either choice in a writing sample.

fineprint

• let dawgs bite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2004, 09:56:29 AM »
I don't think what you chose matters at all as long as you provided adequate supports to back it up. But then, I don't think law schools really read them either! :)
waitlist waitlist waitlist waitlist

victrola

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2004, 10:02:55 AM »
i chose 'living with diabetes', too, for the same reasons you did, comm-law.  law schools probably only consider them when they are weighting two equally strong candidates and can only pick one.   

dr_draino

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2004, 10:20:45 AM »
I can't believe this thread exists.

BAFF213

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2004, 10:57:50 AM »
I chose "What's Up Doc?" because I figured it would "engage the audience", whereas "Living With Diabetes" probably wouldn't have as much appeal as it.  I reasoned that it would have been pointless to portray the challenges of living with diabetes for all these people if the kids wouldn't even watch it because of lack of appeal.

pstpst

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2004, 01:06:38 PM »
wow baff - we must have esp - i said nearly the same exact thing - almost verbatim with some of your phrasing...

noell

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2004, 01:07:34 PM »
Me too!

I chose "What's Up Doc?" because I figured it would "engage the audience", whereas "Living With Diabetes" probably wouldn't have as much appeal as it.  I reasoned that it would have been pointless to portray the challenges of living with diabetes for all these people if the kid's wouldn't even watch it because of lack of appeal.

BAFF213

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2004, 02:15:32 PM »
Me too!

I chose "What's Up Doc?" because I figured it would "engage the audience", whereas "Living With Diabetes" probably wouldn't have as much appeal as it.  I reasoned that it would have been pointless to portray the challenges of living with diabetes for all these people if the kid's wouldn't even watch it because of lack of appeal.

yea - that's basically what i said.  it was tough trying to say it exactly the way i wanted to though, because i couldnt just come right out and say it that easily.