Law School Discussion

"reserve group" at CLS, Waitlist at Penn?

"reserve group" at CLS, Waitlist at Penn?
« on: February 20, 2008, 11:58:05 AM »
So I'm on both CLS's "reserve group" and Penn's waitlist.

Does anyone have any idea what the odds are of getting in from either? Most? Some? None? About half?

Columbia's letter pointed out that "recent developments" would get particular attention... but since their decision comes in late May, and I won't get my grades until about May 15th, is it even worth it?

As for Penn, I'll look into getting an Penn Law Alum to write a letter of rec for me, and maybe give the "how will you bring diversity to Penn Law" essay a shot, even though i'm a white, nominally catholic, middle class, straight, politically moderate college senior (at Penn) from NJ. And I guess I should start trying again in class...

That all said, does anyone have any clue what % or number tend to get off these waitlists? I have a 170/3.7 with significant extracurricular activity.

Thanks

oscist

• AOL Instant Messenger - oscist
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - oscist
    • View Profile
Re: "reserve group" at CLS, Waitlist at Penn?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2008, 12:21:24 PM »
When you say waitlist, do you mean Penn actually offered you a spot on the waitlist -- or do you mean the e-mail they send out saying they'll try to get all decisions done by April, which sounds to me like a deferral?

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2008, 12:32:13 PM »
"Thank you for your interest in the University of Pennsylvania Law School.  The Admissions Committee has completed its review of your application and would like to offer you a position on our wait list."

t L

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2008, 12:43:58 PM »
Your chances are better with Penn.  Columbia waitlisted everyone and their mom, so it really means nothing.

ac34

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2008, 07:21:23 AM »
I read somewhere that Penn waitlists, on average, 200ish and admits around 50, which are pretty decent odds as far as I can tell, considering how many people on the waitlist will eventually withdraw or won't sent in any new material.

I sent in an additional letter of recommendation and an essay making it very clear that Penn is my top choice, so I'm feeling cautiously optimistic, if a bit impatient.

I was a Penn undergrad also (Class of '07), so I hope it's true that "Penn loves its own."