Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Working in law school  (Read 1949 times)

TraciRai

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Working in law school
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2008, 03:20:36 PM »
Don't get a job.  This year is hell already without having one.  I have a friend who kept his job at Starbuck's and only works one day a week... but he never has time to see anyone or be social, and he's always stressed and feeling behind.  NOT worth it!

jsb221

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2008, 03:59:49 PM »
I think the decision to work is very individualized. I'm a 1L, worked 20 hr/wk and commuted 2 hr/day back and forth to class and still managed to finish top 5% of my class plus maintained a life outside of studying and working all the time. It just depends on your commitment level and how bad you want it

Terrible Ivan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2008, 06:49:24 PM »
I work during this, my 1L year, and I think it helps me use my time more effectively. I also have kids that get a chunk of my attention and volunteer in two law school clinics. I think the gchat and facebook time many other students spend each week far exceeds the time I spend at work. Plus, it is good money, helps add more flesh to my resume, and demonstrates my commitment to the area and the profession. It also impressed several interviewers during spring OCI and made for a great transition into a conversation about ability to work under time pressures.

If you think you can handle it, do it. Those who crow about how horrible of an option it would be can't or don't want to handle it.

jnb983

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2008, 06:57:43 PM »
I've always worked too, and hope to do so even during 1L.  I would not do this, however, if I were making less than $20/hr; I think a 1L's time studying is worth more than that. Luckily for me, I have a nice job where I can make a few hundred bucks a week for working 5-10 hrs.

Besides, what's the point of reserving time to have fun if you're too broke to do anything?
yo: Gtown($$), RU-C($), GW($), UIUC($$), Northwestern($)
no-go: Berkeley, H, Y, UChi
so-so: Fordham, Mich, UCLA, Columbia, Vandy, UVA, Penn, NYU 

el ess en

littlebit

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2008, 05:15:56 PM »
My most successful and also my most creative times are when I have an extremely busy schedule. I do not do idle very well.  I think I am going to start out without a job commitment - hopefully I don't just fill my extra time with junk because I really want to keep my debt as low as possible.

vap

• Sr. Citizen
  • Attorney
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2008, 06:20:00 PM »
I volunteered about 4-6 hours a week in a legal office as a 1L.  Stopped doing it about 3-4 weeks before finals, so it wasn't too stressful.

Do whatever you want about work.

terranullius

• "A witty saying proves nothing." --Voltaire
    • View Profile
    • terra nullius
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2008, 11:56:21 AM »
The only advice I've gotten on the subject was from a current 1L who said that working one shift every other Saturday was too much for her.

I worked full time, went to undergrad at night, had an 18 hour per week internship and commuted a total of two hours round trip. I think I could handle one shift a week or every other week just to have some extra money.

But the question is do you think you can? It's a question that doesn't have a blanket answer. Good luck no matter what you decide!
Drake Law School
Class of 2011

MissNatalie

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2008, 01:02:47 PM »
This is something that I have been putting a lot of thought into.  I've been working since I was 14 and I cannot imagine what it would be like not working. Like other people have mentioned, I also tend to manage my time better when I have more to do.  I worked over 40 hours per week (two jobs) throughout most of my undergrad and maintained a very good gpa. 

I just really hate the idea of putting stuff like chapstick and toothpaste on a loan.  It doesn't seem logical to me.

I think I am going to start off my first year with a job (maybe something on campus).  If I see that it isn't working out then I can just quit.
Class of 2011

RoughRider

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2008, 01:14:49 PM »
It's going to be very weird not working, especially knowing that I'm borrowing $$ to make up for me not doing so.  I orginially was accepted to the PT program at Mason so I could work, but after thinking about it and talking it over with my wife, we decided that it would be best to focus on school and family (I have two young children) rather than school, family, and work.  Not to mention we'll be in a brand new place, 3000 miles away from home and extended family.  It just wasn't going to be worth it.  Fortunately, I was able to move to the FT program and depending on how things go, I may see about getting a job in the library or something to help with spending money.  We'll see.