Law School Discussion

-

-----

-
« on: February 20, 2008, 10:38:49 AM »
-

Re: Visting GW Next Week
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2008, 11:16:13 AM »
Whenever I visited, it seemed like the place was so full of people...everywhere.  If you want a big school or like being around lots of people all the time, this will suit you. 

I come from a very large state school (though my LSN says different) but even for me it seemed like ALMOST too many people.  My tour guide seemed surprised, maybe it was just randomly that full since it was near lunchtime and just after a holiday.

But I'd talk to them about how they separate sections for 1L classes and also how many classes are taught by full-time faculty and adjuncts (it seemed like there are lots of part-time teachers there, which might be less than desirable for some). 

All in all, I came away with a favorable impression despite the size, and I actually liked it better than GULC b/c it seemed more close-knit than GULC (and is in a better part of town IMO)...perhaps b/c its on the undergrad campus, unlike GULC. 

Those are my thoughts anyway...what kind of law/job are you looking for?

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2008, 11:31:00 AM »
I'm visiting GW next week.  Any thoughts on what to look for or focus on or what to ask?

Take pictures and post them for the rest of us :)

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2008, 12:23:26 PM »
If you don't like people, go on the weekend. D.C, is dead on weekends, with the exception of Georgetown.

bruinbro

• B-Blitz
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2008, 12:24:56 PM »
Whenever I visited, it seemed like the place was so full of people...everywhere.  If you want a big school or like being around lots of people all the time, this will suit you. 

I come from a very large state school (though my LSN says different) but even for me it seemed like ALMOST too many people.  My tour guide seemed surprised, maybe it was just randomly that full since it was near lunchtime and just after a holiday.

Tell me about it  >:(

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2008, 12:58:56 PM »
This is why I want to go W&L.  I know job prospects are better out of GW, but if I were making that decision, I also have to think that I would actually want to be happy for the 3 years I'm in school.  Oh well.

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2008, 02:46:56 PM »

bruinbro, are you not happy there?  your post seems to indicate something we, as prospective students, might want to hear...please, do tell

bruinbro

• B-Blitz
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2008, 04:21:27 PM »

bruinbro, are you not happy there?  your post seems to indicate something we, as prospective students, might want to hear...please, do tell

I don't mean to sound grumpy. I am not unhappy at GW. Some things at the law school really bother me though and I think it is important to give my honest opinion to perspective students. I don't think it would be right to be one of those posters who says their school is perfect and that everyone would love it there.

The over-crowding issue is a problem at GW. It bothers me, but it may not bother other people. On the other hand, I prefer it to the backwater wilderness of Lexington, Virginia.

bruinbro

• B-Blitz
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2008, 04:26:15 PM »
What do you mean by overcrowding?  No room in the library or what?

Yes. The library can get crowded during the day. More generally, it always feels like people are flooding the law school halls from 9-3 EVERY day. There is no question the law school needs at least twice the space it has now.

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2008, 06:54:18 PM »
Yeah, that's the impression I got as well.  GULC, while on it's own campus and very big, wasn't as aesthetically pleasing nor "cozy," however you want to interpret that world.  There are cops on the outskirts of the Law Center to make sure no one who isn't supposed to be there is, and all the doors/entrances are key access only.  I just kinda made me feel like I was in a security compound, not a law school.

But at any rate, I think overall GW was a very good school.  The class I sat in on was engaging and the people all seemed to know each other reasonably well.  The Socratic the prof used wasn't obnoxious, so that's comforting as well.

Good luck on your trip.